Warwick
    York
    Cambridge
    Edinburgh
    King's College, London
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Newcastle

(I've excluded institutions which offer a limited range of course)

ReputationRep:
    1. Cam
    2. Oxf
    3. LSE
    4. Imp
    5. UCL
    6. Warwick
    7. Kings
    8. Nottm
    9. York
    10. Bath

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Durham
    Bristol
    LSE
    Nottingham
    Warwick
    UCL
    St. Andrews

ReputationRep:
    I know the thread starter said that reasons for these personal rankings should be withheld, but I have a suspicion that many people are just giving digests of the various uni league tables they have seen, rather than actually using personal experience etc. to formulate their lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I know the thread starter said that reasons for these personal rankings should be withheld, but I have a suspicion that many people are just giving digests of the various uni league tables they have seen, rather than actually using personal experience etc. to formulate their lists.
    The league tables could have an ounce of credibility. Or not.

ReputationRep:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. London School of Economics
    4. Warwick
    5. Imperial College London
    6. University College London
    7. York
    8. Bath
    9. Bristol
    10. Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    The league tables could have an ounce of credibility. Or not.
    Yes, but my point is that if people are just regurgitating what they can recollect from reading league tables, this exercise is pretty pointless -- we might as well just look at the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but my point is that if people are just regurgitating what they can recollect from reading league tables, this exercise is pretty pointless -- we might as well just look at the league tables.
    I don't think everyone is regurgitating - quite a few have avoided Oxbridge in the top two spots, for example. Though of course, there will be a fairly large degree of repitition.

ReputationRep:
    The man has a point. I bet we havent visited 80% of the universities we've put on the list. Furthermore, we probably haven't visited 99.99% of the universities we've excluded from our lists!!!!

ReputationRep:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. LSE
    4. Imperial
    5. Warwick
    6. Bristol
    7. UCL
    8. Bath
    9. Manchester
    10. Durham

ReputationRep:
    You can form valid opinions of a place regardless of whether you have visited it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    You can form valid opinions of a place regardless of whether you have visited it or not.
    You can have an opinion about anything, as long as your brain actually works. However, whether those opinions are actually worth listening too or not is a different quesiton. The less you know about the institution your passing an opinion on, the less valuable the opinion becomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    You can have an opinion about anything, as long as your brain actually works. However, whether those opinions are actually worth listening too or not is a different quesiton. The less you know about the institution your passing an opinion on, the less valuable the opinion becomes.
    But the more people that have share an opinion, the more valuable it becomes. I'm sure that there are very few people who have visited every university. Word of mouth is extremely important when it comes to reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    Okay, there seems to be countless threads about this so, one more thrown into the mix shouldn't cause too much trouble and this should hopefully get across most peoples views and therefore reduce the need for new threads.

People don't generally agree with the Times or Guardian tables, and quite rightly in some cases, so here's your chance to have your own say. To take part all you have to do is first list your top ten UK universities in order, the list should be based on your overall ranking, nothing specific to any subject, and please keep it as unbiased as possible, if you want to give reasons for your choices then please do.

I'll be along every now and then and tally together the scores to give the definitive top-ten list for UK Learning. To start it off here's my list, reasons witheld :

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial College London
    4. London School Of Economics
    5. St Andrews
    7. Warwick
    8. Bath
    9. Bristol
    10. Birmingham

Current Rankings (Top Ten Only)

1. Cambridge (126 Points)
    2. Oxford (108 Points)
    3. London School Of Economics (83 Points)
    4. Imperial College London (82 Points)
    5. Warwick (64 Points)
    6. Bristol (61 Points)
    7. University College London (51 Points)
    8. Nottingham (30 Points)
    9. Manchester (23 Points)
    10. St Andrews (21 Points)

Including : Morgan, rah, KR2004, kingslaw, Pencil Queen, jumpunderaboat, dled, gangrene, BazTheMoney, mobbdeeprob, happysunshine, mg84, Leeroy and deianra.
    Excluding : Dr Blazed and Shiny(for now).

PS - I hoped that the universities would be ranked on a general broad basis, including things like reputation, teaching and the calibre of the students. I've included some lists that I myself find dubious, but have excluded those that include american universites and those that are clearly taking the pess.

I was trying to do my own ranking, but its just so hard I gave up!

ReputationRep:
    Places I'd like to go, based on my own experiences etc etc:

1. Nottingham
    2. Southampton
    3. Warwick
    4. Loughborough
    5. LSE
    6. City
    7. UCL
    8. Kings
    9. UEA
    10. Cardiff

I didn't put Oxbridge in because I wouldn't ever want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Erm based on my experiences as well

1. Imperial
    2. Liverpool
    3. Keele
    4. Manchster
    5. Leicester
    6. Newcastle
    7. Glasgow
    8. Salford
    9. Leeds
    =10. Bristol
    =10. Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I would do this, but I don't think I could give an unbiased ranking. Now I've put my choices down only one uni really matters to me, and that is my firm choice. And I'm sure I'm not allowed to have 1) Oxford 2) Oxford 3) Oxford.. and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

1 - Warwick
    2 - Cambridge
    3 - Oxford
    4 - Nottingham
    5 - Imperial
    6 - York
    7 - LSE
    8 - Durham
    9 - Manchester
    10 - Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    Okay, there seems to be countless threads about this so, one more thrown into the mix shouldn't cause too much trouble and this should hopefully get across most peoples views and therefore reduce the need for new threads.

People don't generally agree with the Times or Guardian tables, and quite rightly in some cases, so here's your chance to have your own say. To take part all you have to do is first list your top ten UK universities in order, the list should be based on your overall ranking, nothing specific to any subject, and please keep it as unbiased as possible, if you want to give reasons for your choices then please do.

I'll be along every now and then and tally together the scores to give the definitive top-ten list for UK Learning. To start it off here's my list, reasons witheld :

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial College London
    4. London School Of Economics
    5. St Andrews
    7. Warwick
    8. Bath
    9. Bristol
    10. Birmingham

Current Rankings (Top Ten Only)

1. Cambridge (126 Points)
    2. Oxford (108 Points)
    3. London School Of Economics (83 Points)
    4. Imperial College London (82 Points)
    5. Warwick (64 Points)
    6. Bristol (61 Points)
    7. University College London (51 Points)
    8. Nottingham (30 Points)
    9. Manchester (23 Points)
    10. St Andrews (21 Points)

Including : Morgan, rah, KR2004, kingslaw, Pencil Queen, jumpunderaboat, dled, gangrene, BazTheMoney, mobbdeeprob, happysunshine, mg84, Leeroy and deianra.
    Excluding : Dr Blazed and Shiny(for now).

PS - I hoped that the universities would be ranked on a general broad basis, including things like reputation, teaching and the calibre of the students. I've included some lists that I myself find dubious, but have excluded those that include american universites and those that are clearly taking the pess.
    why have you excluded american universities? surely you would want those posted for yr. abroad options!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.