Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It's in brighton and has a great research reputation...although I admit that I forgot about edinburgh so that might be bumped into the top 10.
    Yeah I'd have loved to go to Edinburgh, but they (like so many others) didn't do the option of a year abroad with the course

(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    OK - this is *extremely* subjective and prejudiced- it's more ones I'd like to go to rather than the best.
    Ahh, if its just were I would like to study then....

1) ICL (go why does it have to be in London) :rolleyes:
    2) Edinburgh
    3) Nottingham
    4) Manchester
    5) UEA
    6) KCL
    7) Cardiff
    8) Southampton
    9) Loughborough
    10) St Andrews

It's in brighton
    If were to move to Brighton with my reputation then Im pretty sure most of my friends would feel that their suspicions have been confimed!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If were to move to Brighton with my reputation then Im pretty sure most of my friends would feel that their suspicions have been confimed!!!
    Lol, well do you like your toast buttered the other side?

Brighton's lovely, probably one of the best places outside london to be a teenager in.

*adds leekey to her "very nice people" list*

Wouldn't read too much into it....I though the sandwiches were nice on the openday and the girls who were interested in comp sci were suprisingly attractive (never experienced this before)!!!

Probably a good thing you're not thinking of Manchester anymore too :eek:
    Yeah but I could have covered up my campness with a Burberry hat and using phrases like "mad for it" a lot more....

*Disclaimer - I apologise to all residents on Manchester, I know that the stereotypical resident of Manchester is just a stereotype and I appeciate that you are not all long haired, Liam Gallagher wannabes!!! - THANK YOU*

ReputationRep:

*adds leekey to her "very nice people" list*

*kiss-ass mode*
    I thought Southampton were by far the friendliest department I visited on my rounds (out of them, Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and UMIST - although UMIST were extremely pleasant too) and I did like the place, its just it seemed a bit too far away for me - I fell in love with Bristol when I visited so there was never any doubt really. Won't hear a bad word against Soton though.
    [end]kiss ass mode[/end]

ReputationRep:
    Until coming on here I hadn't really heared of Southampton, I knew it had a university but I had no idea how good it was. Its one of the few universities you only ever hear good things about. Its almost in another country from me though

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    Until coming on here I hadn't really heared of Southampton, I knew it had a university but I had no idea how good it was. Its one of the few universities you only ever hear good things about. Its almost in another country from me though
    We should both do our level best to avoid ever going south of B'ham!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You only live around Manchester! It's not like you live up near Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You only live around Manchester! It's not like you live up near Newcastle.
    Its still a good 200+ miles plus though, I like to within 1 hour form home, this is somthing that appeals to me about Lancaster because its not city based (will be a change) and its only 45 mins drive from south Manchester if my dad does 80mph up the M6.

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    1. Cambridge
    3. LSE
    3. KCL
    3. ICL
    6. Nottingham
    7. Warwick
    8. UCL
    9. Birmingham
    10. Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    1, Cambridge
    2, Oxford
    3, Warwick
    4, LSE
    5, UCL
    6, ICL
    7, York
    8, Bristol
    9, Durham
    10, Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    My top ten-away with your foolish statistics!
    *St Andrews(hotties plus more bars per square meter than anywhere else in Britain.
    *Durham(seems pretty chummy)
    *Bristol(respected)
    *Edinburgh(might aswell give Scotland a chance)
    *Exeter(my great aunt Tiggy lives down that part of the world-lemonade and cream soda are bliss with great aunt Tiggy)
    *York(dork,dork,dork?)
    *Nottingham(getting bored now)
    *Oxford (thought it would be fun to have this baby down here)
    *Cambridge(as above)
    *can't think of a tenth-most unlikely that i would need to anyway because ucas has a maximum of six choices

ReputationRep:
    According to this ranking of universities, the top 9 UK institutions are: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Sheffield, KCL and Manchester.

I'm not sure I quite agree with it, but I'm just going to stick LSE between Imperial and UCL where it probably belongs this year, giving:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. UCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Bristol
    8. Sheffield
    9. KCL
    10. Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    According to this ranking of universities, the top 9 UK institutions are: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Sheffield, KCL and Manchester.

I'm not sure I quite agree with it, but I'm just going to stick LSE between Imperial and UCL where it probably belongs this year, giving:

1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. UCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Bristol
    8. Sheffield
    9. KCL
    10. Manchester
    We've had many threads on that before, and I think the conclusion drawn was that it was pretty rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. University of London (doesnt matter which college)
    4. Edinburgh

OK, these are the *ONLY* British unis that Japanese people know. Don't bother telling them which college of UoL you went to. Just say "I went to *cough* University of London" and they'll admire you. Seriously, they don't know the individual colleges, if you tell them you went to LSE they'd think you are talking about drugs! :rolleyes:

So, if you want to get employed in Japan go to one of the above, and you'll be respected

Well, my personal chart would be

1. RHUL
    2. RHUL
    3. RHUL
    4. RHUL
    5. RHUL
    6. RHUL
    7. RHUL
    8. RHUL
    9. RHUL
    10.RHUL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    We've had many threads on that before, and I think the conclusion drawn was that it was pretty rubbish.
    Yeah, I agree, but in terms of international fame, that list isn't a bad reflection. I can't judge on actual teaching/research/student quality at those universities, since I've only visited a handful of them.

I got bored, so I added up all the votes from the people who chose 10 British universities: Morgan, rah, KR2004, kingslaw, Pencil Queen, jumpunderaboat, Dr. Blazed, dled, gangrene, BazTheMoney, mobbdeeprob, happysunshine, mg84, Leeroy, deianra (I used your second vote), Tek, Woggle, master_chief, H&E, tomhitchings, hornblower, etomac, need_help, James_W, Absolution, swallows, amazingtrade, Bigcnee, elpollodiablouk, Mysticmin, Leekey, Baby_Angelz, covered_farm_wa, Squishy.

The results so far are:

1. Cambridge (263.5)
    2. Oxford (236)
    3. Imperial (174)
    4. LSE (172)
    5. Warwick (158)
    6. Bristol (106.5)
    7. UCL (88)
    8. Nottingham (77)
    9. Durham (61)
    10. Manchester/UMIST (60)

(Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
    OK, these are the *ONLY* British unis that Japanese people know. Don't bother telling them which college of UoL you went to. Just say "I went to *cough* University of London" and they'll admire you. Seriously, they don't know the individual colleges, if you tell them you went to LSE they'd think you are talking about drugs! :rolleyes:
    Nice to know that Japan is still an option then...just godda learn the language and Im sorted!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Nice to know that Japan is still an option then...just godda learn the language and Im sorted!!!
    Lol, good luck for that...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.