Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Definitive TSR University Table watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My list :

1/ Sheffield
    2/ Oxbridge (I know that's not a Uni.. but you get the picture..)
    3/ Imperial
    4/ Edinburgh
    5/ Manchester
    6/ Leicester
    7/ Warwick
    8/ Newcastle
    9/ Nottingham
    10/ SOAS

...hmm.. that's probably heavily biased- sorry couldn't help it!

ReputationRep:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. LSE
    4. Imperial
    5. Bristol
    6. Warwick
    7. UCL
    8. Manchester
    9. Durham
    10. Bath, York, Nottingham, (can't decide between them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)

Bristol - Love the city hate the uni. A university that buses applicants halfway across the city to stand outside a hall and be told "this is a hall" and not be allowed inside to see rooms etc etc is NOT trying to sell itself - they act as if they're doing their students a favour and I dislike that attitude - even oxbridge makes an effort to impress applicants on open days/interviews.
    Southampton certainly didn't make an effort to impress applicants on its English open day:

"If you look through those trees there you might just be able to see the top of a building on the main campus" :rolleyes: (Obviously I exaggerate but you get the picture)

Oh and, "Err, I don't usually give these talks, err, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but, err, the head of English is busy" So I came all this way why??

And how can I forget, "English brochures? What brochures? What's that you say? Special English prospectuses! My goodness! We actually produce those?! And you were told we were meant to give them to you today? Erm..."

"Sorry, who told you you were going to get the opportunity to meet departmental staff? Your letter? That you're waving in front of my face? You must be making it up. This is the staff's afternoon off".

Grrrr!:mad: Departmental.

ReputationRep:
    1. Durham
    2. Cambridge
    3. LSE
    4. Oxford
    5. Imperial
    6. Warwick
    7. Nottingham
    8. Bristol
    9. Manchester
    10. Bath

ReputationRep:
    heres my list

1) Exeter (probably the best university in the world)
    2) Warick
    3) shefield
    4) durham
    5) Cardiff
    6) Bath
    7) UCL
    8) Imperial
    9) Cambridge
    10) York

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    1) Exeter (probably the best university in the world)
    Sponsored by Carlsberg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Sponsored by Carlsberg.

of course.....if it makes it a pound a pint...why complain!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
    nah, chinese is nothing close to Japanese. They sound totally different. Chinese ppl 'squeal' whileas Japanese ppl 'speak' articulately. (oops i hope that wasnt too racist :rolleyes: )

Japanese is easier to learn compared to Chinese, so Leekey, give it a go.

Korean is even easier to learn, but not very useful in the international market :rolleyes:
    I squeal? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes - there are a few departments/schools here that seem to have absolutely no idea how important open days and applicants are - this year has been even worse than most because the whole uni has been completely restructured (english used to be a dept in the faculty of Arts, now it's a department in the School of Humanities in the faculty of Law, Arts and Social Sciences - and to be honest there is a hell of a lot of confusion about who should be doing what (mostly based around the fact that the Schools are supposed to do virtually everything but haven't budgetted for it :grr: )).

They annoy me as much as they annoy you - I've even heard of applicants being taken to a hall of residence (a 10 minute walk rather than a 30 minute bus ride) and not being show inside.

When it comes to departments like this it's worth ignoring the main open day and contacting departmental staff members directly to arrange a quick meeting/chat and then wander around the campus exploring on your own...but then you really shouldn't have to - I'll try and make sure someone from the English dept does read your comments and realises how easily they're loosing damn good applicants due to lack of effort.
    Thanks It really was a shambles. I only put it as my insurance because all my other offers were the same. It was a shame, because the course looked great, and it's a lovely city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Southampton certainly didn't make an effort to impress applicants on its English open day:

"If you look through those trees there you might just be able to see the top of a building on the main campus" :rolleyes: (Obviously I exaggerate but you get the picture)

Oh and, "Err, I don't usually give these talks, err, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but, err, the head of English is busy" So I came all this way why??

And how can I forget, "English brochures? What brochures? What's that you say? Special English prospectuses! My goodness! We actually produce those?! And you were told we were meant to give them to you today? Erm..."

"Sorry, who told you you were going to get the opportunity to meet departmental staff? Your letter? That you're waving in front of my face? You must be making it up. This is the staff's afternoon off".

That does sound nuts.....about as wishy-washy as the tour my class was given in Glasgow last year before we applied..."Umm, yeah, and I don't think we make offers to students doing the European Baccalaureate actually, because we don't really know what it is." ...Yes, that's very helpful, thank you :rolleyes: . (Luckily a couple of my classmates didn't listen to this nonsence, and applied anyway, and were, in fact, made fairly low offers.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Actually I have been very nuaghty. I have left a message on Unofficial Guides asking if TVU is as bad as they make out. On the boards there it seems to be full of bitter twisted TVU students who can't jobs. I've not seen that for any other universities. So I am interested to see if all the rumours are true or if its just one big myth.
    Is the sheer ugliness of that site supposed to be some kind of metaphor - i.e: brutally ugly site=brutally ugly truth?

ReputationRep:
    (snipped)Royal Holloway - boarding school hell hole - like an enid blyton novel gone wrong.

Note - the above are all personal opinions and I do not deny that all of these uni's have something to offer other people - for myself they offer nothing but boredom.
    I quite like the idea of an Enid Blyton Novel gone wrong - St Clares & Mallory Towers in some weird parallel universe and could I be the Naughtiest Girl in the School?

Anyway, I though an Enid Blyton novel gone wrong was Harry Potter

ReputationRep:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. LSE
    4. Imperial College
    5. Bristol
    6. UCL
    7. Royal College of Music
    8. Royal Veterinary College
    9. Edinburgh
    10.Royal Academy of the Arts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymity)
    10.Royal Academy of the Arts
    Royal Academy of Dramatic Art?

ReputationRep:
    blerp.
    royal college of art.

ReputationRep:
    i'm shocked at how high everyone is rating bristol. its a good uni an all but rarely ever makes the top five in any newspaper league table. :confused:

but now a good word about it... i have a few mates who go there and the people ive met from there are absolutely lovely!!!

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    2. Newcastle

(The similarity to my firm and insurance choices is purely coincidence)

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    Cambridge
    3. London School of Economics
    4. University College London
    5. Imperial College London
    6. KCL
    7. Warwick
    8. Nottingham
    9. Bristol
    10. Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deepblue)
    YOU SHOULD READ THIS before YOU PICK AN UNIVERSITY ...
    deepblue, you have posted this waffle far too many times. Add to that, they make up five of your eight posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)

This sounds like much the same experience I had at Reading's English open day. Lots of things about it were okay, but there was this woman talking about student life.. and she didn't even live in Reading.. nor was she a student there.. nor was she EVER a student there.. nor did she have a clue about public speaking. It was her and the city and the boring campus that put me off putting it as my insurance. The professor we talked to was nice, though, and they gave me lots of free stuff. But one professor and free stuff does not make a happy three years..

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.