The Student Room Group

French speaking - Terrible mock result

Help! 🙈
Today I've done a mock exam for my French speaking exam. I had to memorize 6 paragraphs (Which we've been doing in class for about 2 months ish) and they had to fill between 4-6 minutes, along with an unpredictable 7th question which requires a one sentence answer. When I did the mock with my teacher today I was very stressed and nervous, and this caused me to forget bits I'd previously learned. I also began speaking in English (Statements of worry such as "Oh god what's next?") Which seems ridiculous now I write it, as it's not something we're supposed to do as it's all recorded and sent to the examiner. My time was also way over, at 6 minutes 49 seconds.The worst thing is though is that my final exam is tomorrow and I'm now super nervous that it'll go awful like my mock did.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
(P.S I feel as if I rambled a little there, so sorry!)
Original post by Indiaa121
Help! 🙈
Today I've done a mock exam for my French speaking exam. I had to memorize 6 paragraphs (Which we've been doing in class for about 2 months ish) and they had to fill between 4-6 minutes, along with an unpredictable 7th question which requires a one sentence answer. When I did the mock with my teacher today I was very stressed and nervous, and this caused me to forget bits I'd previously learned. I also began speaking in English (Statements of worry such as "Oh god what's next?":wink: Which seems ridiculous now I write it, as it's not something we're supposed to do as it's all recorded and sent to the examiner. My time was also way over, at 6 minutes 49 seconds.The worst thing is though is that my final exam is tomorrow and I'm now super nervous that it'll go awful like my mock did.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
(P.S I feel as if I rambled a little there, so sorry!)

Sounds like stress really got to you. It's obviously not that you don't know the stuff, so you've just got to try and de-stress. Not easy!

You can try some controlled breathing exercises - inhale gently while counting to four or five; then exhale gently at the same count. At the same time, try to empty your mind if you can: if you have to think of something think of a relaxing place and or sound - for me, that's the seaside with gently breaking waves. When I do this exercise my blood pressure goes down, I've tested it!

I don't know if this advice comes too late; you might have had the oral by now in which case I hope it went well.
Original post by Anna Schoon
Sounds like stress really got to you. It's obviously not that you don't know the stuff, so you've just got to try and de-stress. Not easy!

You can try some controlled breathing exercises - inhale gently while counting to four or five; then exhale gently at the same count. At the same time, try to empty your mind if you can: if you have to think of something think of a relaxing place and or sound - for me, that's the seaside with gently breaking waves. When I do this exercise my blood pressure goes down, I've tested it!

I don't know if this advice comes too late; you might have had the oral by now in which case I hope it went well.

Haha, it certainly did, I'm awful in stresssful situations! Thank you so much for the advice, I know it'll come in useful, as I'll have to do another one of these oral exams before the end of my course. Sadly though it came a little late, as my exam was this morning. However though I must've done something right as I some how managed to get my time below 5 minutes (4 minutes 49 seconds I believe), although I did forget a few tiny bits and had many stumbly moments. My teacher said it was a big improvement from my mock so I'm really pleased! Glad to say it's over though mainly! 😁
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending