The Student Room Group

I can't tell if I'm gay or bi

To cut a long story as short as I can (and it'll still be a bit long sorry) I've been struggling with this for YEARS. When I was around 14, I started feeling an urge to kiss my friends. I was worried for like a year, explained it to my mum and she said she didn't think I was gay which lifted a huge weight off my back. For the record, my family isn't particularly hateful in terms of homosexuality. I've essentially went through what would happen and I think though it'd cause some upset, it probably wouldn't be long lasting. In fact, I have hinted it to my mum and she seems ok with it, if a bit doubtful that I am bisexual or gay. As time went on, the urges were more on and off, something in that particular situation I took as me desperately wanting something with SOMEONE seeing as 1. I'd had no experience with anyone (and still haven't) and 2. All my friends are girls.

Fast forwards to now; I'm 19 and I'm starting to come to the terms with the fact that yes, I'm attracted to girls. Kind of bothers me but I can't do bugger all about it so may as well make the best of it and maybe one day I'll accept it. However, I still don't know if I'm a lesbian or bi. I used to try to force attraction to guys when I was younger so I feel like my mind has got confused. When I try to think about sex or ending up with one or the other I have to keep telling myself "Now don't force yourself to be into it with a guy just because you'd rather be bisexual." But then part of me feels like I really do feel something of an attraction to guys both sexually and romantically. It may not be as significant as my attraction to girls but it's there.

The other thing is I feel like my anxiety might be making me think I'm more in denial than I actually am. Like I'm so weirded out by the idea of liking girls my mind is automatically saying "Oh no I must be into girls only." It's like I change my mind everyday. I thought I'd cracked it the other day- that I was bisexual, maybe leaning a bit more towards girls but largely because I like being dominant (can't believe I'm saying this on a forum; thank god for anon) despite being very shy and reserved in real life. But then today something confused me again so I tried to imagine both and was more into girls but somewhat interested in guys. Help!
Reply 1
Bump.
Original post by Anonymous
To cut a long story as short as I can (and it'll still be a bit long sorry) I've been struggling with this for YEARS. When I was around 14, I started feeling an urge to kiss my friends. I was worried for like a year, explained it to my mum and she said she didn't think I was gay which lifted a huge weight off my back. For the record, my family isn't particularly hateful in terms of homosexuality. I've essentially went through what would happen and I think though it'd cause some upset, it probably wouldn't be long lasting. In fact, I have hinted it to my mum and she seems ok with it, if a bit doubtful that I am bisexual or gay. As time went on, the urges were more on and off, something in that particular situation I took as me desperately wanting something with SOMEONE seeing as 1. I'd had no experience with anyone (and still haven't) and 2. All my friends are girls.

Fast forwards to now; I'm 19 and I'm starting to come to the terms with the fact that yes, I'm attracted to girls. Kind of bothers me but I can't do bugger all about it so may as well make the best of it and maybe one day I'll accept it. However, I still don't know if I'm a lesbian or bi. I used to try to force attraction to guys when I was younger so I feel like my mind has got confused. When I try to think about sex or ending up with one or the other I have to keep telling myself "Now don't force yourself to be into it with a guy just because you'd rather be bisexual." But then part of me feels like I really do feel something of an attraction to guys both sexually and romantically. It may not be as significant as my attraction to girls but it's there.

The other thing is I feel like my anxiety might be making me think I'm more in denial than I actually am. Like I'm so weirded out by the idea of liking girls my mind is automatically saying "Oh no I must be into girls only." It's like I change my mind everyday. I thought I'd cracked it the other day- that I was bisexual, maybe leaning a bit more towards girls but largely because I like being dominant (can't believe I'm saying this on a forum; thank god for anon) despite being very shy and reserved in real life. But then today something confused me again so I tried to imagine both and was more into girls but somewhat interested in guys. Help!

imagination and reality are completly different things although they both utilze emotions. Go to a lesbain club and hook up with a girl, if yr emotions enjoy this, youre gay. then go to a club(straight) and hook up with a boy, if your emotions like this , your straight, but if you like both, yr bi. Thats just my advice, go see a speaclist who can help u
Reply 3
Original post by |Incognizant|
imagination and reality are completly different things although they both utilze emotions. Go to a lesbain club and hook up with a girl, if yr emotions enjoy this, youre gay. then go to a club(straight) and hook up with a boy, if your emotions like this , your straight, but if you like both, yr bi. Thats just my advice, go see a speaclist who can help u

I appreciate the advice but given my complete lack of experience, I just don't have the confidence to hook up with anyone.
Reply 4
Hey don't worry about it! You don't need to give your sexuality a label or rush into anything. Stop thinking so much about it, someone will come along who you really like, it may be a girl or it may be a boy, but it doesn't matter. It's great if your family and stuff aren't homophobic, they will still love you whether you like boys or girls. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything :smile:
Don't stress about it. Right now, you know you like girls, and if you try and somehow 'verify' whether or not you like guys it'll just get your head in a spin. For instance, I was second-guessing myself about being bi because I wasn't attracted to any of the girls in my year, but it just turns out I've got a fairly specific type. If you find a guy you like you'll know. In the meantime, just try not to think about it and overanalyse it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending