no longer want to go to the university I accepted! Watch

This discussion is closed.
johncleaner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I accepted York as my firm to study Maths, and now I'm having second thoughts. I've always had a passion for literature and it's something I thought I could just carry on with once I'd finished my maths degree. I'm fairly good at maths (ish) so I thought I would do this as a back up plan, and then perhaps go on to do something with English.

I'm now hating maths and really cannot imagine spending another 3 years of my life studying it. I hate it so much that I'm considering puposely failing my exams (I haven't done A-level english) so that I then will not get into York, hopefully do an A-level in English in a year, then reapply to do an English degree next year. Will universities be aware when I apply next year that I've applied for a completely different course? Do you think I should carry on with the maths degree then do something afterwards?

I just don't know what to do!
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well don't deliberately fail your exams for a start!

But also don't do a course you don't want to do.

Take a year out and reapply.
johncleaner
Rep:
?
But when I reapply, how am I going to look to universties if I'm now applying to a completely different course? Won't it look as if I don't reallly have an interest in the subject?
KR2004
Report 14 years ago
Will the unis even know that you've applied before when you re-apply?...I wouldn't have thought they would?

You'll definitely be able to get into unis even if they do know that you've previously applied for another subject anyway! If anything it proves that you're passionate about your chosen subject that you chose to take a whole year out just so that you could do it!
Unis know that people make mistakes, even if they did know that you originally chose maths they wouldn't care as long as you explained to them why you changed your mind and why you REALLY want to do the course that you are applying for.

Remember - a lot of people change subjects when they get to university, and the universities (usually) do their best to make it possible for that person to move course (assuming they have the required grades). So if unis are actually willing to allow their own students to move around weeks into the course, why would they be so against you changing your mind months before you were even due to start?

But most importantly - DO NOT DELIBERATELY FAIL YOUR EXAMS!!!
Uni's WILL know what qualifications you have and they'd much rather see that you have an A or a B in maths (even if you're applying for english or whatever) than see that you sat A-levels before your year out and only got D or E grades!
johncleaner
Rep:
?
So say I got the requried grades for York this August. Would I be able to still reject my place? One of my friends said to me that they only let you reject the offer after August in exceptional circumstances, and I don't really think my circumstances are exceptional. Would I be foreced to be pay the first years worth of tuition fees?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by johncleaner)
So say I got the requried grades for York this August. Would I be able to still reject my place? One of my friends said to me that they only let you reject the offer after August in exceptional circumstances, and I don't really think my circumstances are exceptional. Would I be foreced to be pay the first years worth of tuition fees?
you can reject your place, they just won't let you go into clearing or anything for this year. there is nothing to stop you turning down your place (even if you've got the grades) and reapplying next year. they cannot force you to accept a place and they will not make you pay tuition fees.

lou xxx
johncleaner
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)
you can reject your place, they just won't let you go into clearing or anything for this year. there is nothing to stop you turning down your place (even if you've got the grades) and reapplying next year. they cannot force you to accept a place and they will not make you pay tuition fees.

lou xxx
wow I did not know that. I always thought that if you had originally acepted your place and then got the required grades you had to go there. Thanks that helps a lot! :-)
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I withdrew from UCAS after I received my results last year as I wasn't certain about my choice of course and didn't have any problem at all. I even reapplied to the course this year and got an offer!
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But when I reapply, how am I going to look to universties if I'm now applying to a completely different course? Won't it look as if I don't reallly have an interest in the subject?
Nope, do it! I did that, suddenly switched courses last month. And I'm really happy that I did it.
johncleaner
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your reply's. I think I'm just hating maths now because I'm so sick of revising it, I'll probably begin to like it again later! I think I might just see what happens. There's nothing stopping me doing two degrees so I might just end up doing that.

I will eventually make up my mind come results day!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (626)
80.67%
Leave (150)
19.33%

Watched Threads