Why does society and the media seem to show preference for light skin over dark skin?

Watch
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Type in beautiful women in google images and you will see that the overwhelming majority of the women have light/white skin.
From South Asia to China to Africa,skin whitening products are very popular.
Bollywood actresses are almost always pale skinned.
So why is this ?
Alot of models are still white and very ethinc minority models can be seen on the catwalks at fashion shows .
So why is this ?
Mark8346
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Odd claim considering the obsession with tanning in the west.

You are just suffering from confirmation bias.
username1533709
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mark8346)
Odd claim considering the obsession with tanning in the west.

You are just suffering from confirmation bias.
Im talking about around the world in general ,you need to read what I said again and think outside your Western centric worldview.
username1743393
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's quite simple. It can be summed up in one word- 'demand'! The overwhelming majority of people want to see and believe that fair skinned females are the most attractive. If you were to put an African female on the front cover of a magazine for clothes or music etc and a similar one using a Caucasian white female the latter would secure considerably more sales. Therefore modelling agencies are not keen to hire dark skinned models since they don't really gain close to their potential profit margins.
username1533709
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tourminator)
It's quite simple. It can be summed up in one word- 'demand'! The overwhelming majority of people want to see and believe that fair skinned females are the most attractive. If you were to put an African female on the front cover of a magazine for clothes or music etc and a similar one using a Caucasian white female the latter would secure considerably more sales. Therefore modelling agencies are not keen to hire dark skinned models since they don't really gain close to their potential profit margins.
But women like Naomi Campbell are amazing models who sell products they advertise well,so why aren`t there more of them ?
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
These days you hardly see any black females with their natural hair, most of them go for weaves, extensions or something else which is not bad as you should be free to do what you want with your hair but maybe this is a factor?

I am planning to get my hair back to natural.

Imo, there is beauty in every race and I have seen some dark black girls who look so pretty.

The media, is the media and most of the UK's population is white so maybe this could be another factor?
misscaricature
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it stems from older standards. Like if you were rich you didn't go outside to work on the farm so you were paler. So the paler you were the richer you were, I suppose.
These days I imagine it's based on Western influence and white people ruling over everyone else, imposing their own beauty standards on the rest. The beauty industry enforces this to make money hence whitening creams to even/pale skin tone in Korea. Media outlets like magazines and TV shows show white people because it's less of a political message than showing a minority, lowers risk of criticism.
As for tanning it stems from holidays. You go on holiday, come back with a nice tan and get compliments from people. But not everyone can afford to get time off work, plus the risks of skin cancer. Again beauty industry pushes this to make money. Therefore, whatever is beautiful is subjective to whatever gives the industry the most profit at the time. For example, when men went off to war razor companies had to market their products at women. It's not that white women are intrinsically more beautiful, it just makes more money.
Yawn!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, man this would take too long to explain my own theories. I cba. You probably already know the answer anyway.

1) White colonialism/imperialism.

2) Gulf in wealth/living standards between majority white and majority non-white nations (mainly caused by colonialism/imperialism)

3) Imbalance in media power/soft power/cultural influence between majority white and majority non-white nations.

4) Inferiority-complexes that naturally arise in non-white communities as a result of the previous points. Rather than boost the self confidence and privilege of their own nations/communities, non-white media/fashion/advertisement industries seek to ape those they have an inferiority complex over...white people...seeking their approval. Personally I think non-white communities suffer from a 'stockholm syndrome' of sorts which is expressed in their inferiority complexes. Ironically some non-white nations already have the financial/institutional/cultural power to overcome this, yet continue to reinforce their own disadvantage.

5) Racism/discrimination is still rife in the media. Especially in the film/tv industries. Media has a huge influence on our views. I would argue that blacks in the UK are more accepted than Asians despite being a smaller community, mainly due to the influx of US based media that has a lot of visible black people in a variety of roles. UK media apes the US in order to sell programs there. Thus Brown people get far less exposure in english-speaking western media.

6) Old outdated ways of thinking still prevail in Asian communities especially family preference for 'fairer' skinned partners and children. Hence those disgusting creams. Though to be fair there's been some backlash which is encouraging. Fairness creams are now banned from TV in India and many young Indians now insult or parody these products.

Example.

7) Brown people are simply stupid ******* who need to recognise they too have their own privilege (and we do have privilege).

I just realised I have now explained when I said I cba. Ah, well.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because we live in Europe and the vast majority of people are white so our beauty standards are very white centric.

Just like the music we listen to is english speaking and from america or the UK... - white
movies we watch are mostly american/british - white
etc...

If you go to Asia you will see Asian people on magazine covers / media

If you go to Africa you will see Africans on magazine covers / in the media

simple as
Blear
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its quite likely due to the fact you're in a white, english speaking country.
Google will most of the time only show you results in your native language, its personalized.
As only around 13% of Americans are black, and around 4% of people in the UK are black (according to the census cited by wikipedia), it makes sense that you will see a heavy bias for pictures of white people when the population is heavily biased towards being white.

The same goes for TV adverts, they're going to cater for the masses.

I imagine the results would be very different if your IP were in the republic of Congo and your search typed in Congolese.

Society has a bias towards the colour that it predominantly is and there simply are just considerably more white people.
Papi El Jalanito
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its hotter than darkskin
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
Because we live in Europe and the vast majority of people are white so our beauty standards are very white centric.

Just like the music we listen to is english speaking and from america or the UK... - white
movies we watch are mostly american/british - white
etc...

If you go to Asia you will see Asian people on magazine covers / media

If you go to Africa you will see Africans on magazine covers / in the media

simple as
This
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Caucasian women have been perpetuated as the ideal measure of beauty all around the world. This in my opinion starts from an early age with ethnic "minorities" having little representation of themselves in the media. Kids TV shows and cartoons previously were a good example of this. Though admittedly things have slowly got better.

As a result, women from other races (and arguably men as well), make alterations to their appearance to try and reach this standard of beauty. For example this could be bleaching their skin for a lighter complexion, or wearing weave or straightening their hair to have a European style appearance. What's very popular these days is the contouring make up style to give women a more European appearance.

White supremacy is something that has a negative impact on all races - including white people.

Peace
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yawn11)
Caucasian women have been perpetuated as the ideal measure of beauty all around the world. This in my opinion starts from an early age with ethnic "minorities" having little representation of themselves in the media. Kids TV shows and cartoons previously were a good example of this. Though admittedly things have slowly got better.

As a result, women from other races (and arguably men as well), make alterations to their appearance to try and reach this standard of beauty. For example this could be bleaching their skin for a lighter complexion, or wearing weave or straightening their hair to have a European style appearance. What's very popular these days is the contouring make up style to give women a more European appearance.

White supremacy is something that has a negative impact on all races - including white people.

Peace
Go on..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
29.69%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (4)
6.25%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.25%

Watched Threads