Should the UK annex Greek Islands? Watch

Poll: Should Britain annex the Ionian islands?
Yes, the Glorious Empire of the United Kingdom should annex these islands (7)
35%
Yes, annex but make it an overseas territory like Gibraltar (autonomy, own parliament, no voting in UK elections) (4)
20%
No, we are not worthy (9)
45%
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
After Napoleon's defeat in 1815, the Treaty of Paris was set out in order to reorganise French borders. One of these annexed areas were the Ionian Islands, which Britain held until 1864 when it was the first colony that Britain voluntarily gave up. They were originally annexed because they were within Britain's naval blockade area during the Napoleonic wars and the fleets used the islands to dock for supplies.

The United States of Ionian Islands were one of the very few "amical" protectorates in history, where a very large degree of civil rights, personal freedom, political freedom and autonomy while maintaining Britain's military protection.

These six states were Corfù (Kerkyra), Ithaca, Paxò, Cephalonia, Zante (Zakynthos) and Santa Maura (Lefkas). Cerigo (Kythera)

It was given up in a treaty between Greece and Great Britain in 1864 under "Treaty of London", where Greece has accepted the Ionian Islands in the hope that it would receive a British duke as its King. Greece became independent from the Ottoman Empire in 1832 and hoped for the islands ever since. Eventually in the national referendum where Greece elected Duke Albert as their King, it was rejected by the Central Powers as a breach of balance of power by the British and the Greeks had a Danish king imposed on them.

In 1953 when the Ionian Islands were hit by an earthquake the islands sustained prolonged economic damage, and much of the population chose to relocate, of which the majority chose to emigrate abroad. The island of Zakynthos, for example, has had a decrease of population by 12 000 people between 1940 and 1981 (42k to 30k), and that's with 28 years to recover population through births and immigration. The island today still has a lower population than before the earthquake.

Now, the Islands which live on tourism are hit by Greece's financial irresponsibility and dreadful economic policies. Now that Greece's banking system will inevitably fall and their government may too, triggering new elections and a debt restructuring if not a full default. Should these islands, where lots of us go for holidays, really suffer as a result?

Should Britain, on the 200th anniversary of annexing the Ionian Islands and making them prosperous, do it again?
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SotonianOne)
Spoiler:
Show
After Napoleon's defeat in 1815, the Treaty of Paris was set out in order to reorganise French borders. One of these annexed areas were the Ionian Islands, which Britain held until 1864 when it was the first colony that Britain voluntarily gave up. They were originally annexed because they were within Britain's naval blockade area during the Napoleonic wars and the fleets used the islands to dock for supplies.

The United States of Ionian Islands were one of the very few "amical" protectorates in history, where a very large degree of civil rights, personal freedom, political freedom and autonomy while maintaining Britain's military protection.

These six states were Corfù (Kerkyra), Ithaca, Paxò, Cephalonia, Zante (Zakynthos) and Santa Maura (Lefkas). Cerigo (Kythera)

It was given up in a treaty between Greece and Great Britain in 1864 under "Treaty of London", where Greece has accepted the Ionian Islands in the hope that it would receive a British duke as its King. Greece became independent from the Ottoman Empire in 1832 and hoped for the islands ever since. Eventually in the national referendum where Greece elected Duke Albert as their King, it was rejected by the Central Powers as a breach of balance of power by the British and the Greeks had a Danish king imposed on them.

In 1953 when the Ionian Islands were hit by an earthquake the islands sustained prolonged economic damage, and much of the population chose to relocate, of which the majority chose to emigrate abroad. The island of Zakynthos, for example, has had a decrease of population by 12 000 people between 1940 and 1981 (42k to 30k), and that's with 28 years to recover population through births and immigration. The island today still has a lower population than before the earthquake.

Now, the Islands which live on tourism are hit by Greece's financial irresponsibility and dreadful economic policies. Now that Greece's banking system will inevitably fall and their government may too, triggering new elections and a debt restructuring if not a full default. Should these islands, where lots of us go for holidays, really suffer as a result?

Should Britain, on the 200th anniversary of annexing the Ionian Islands and making them prosperous, do it again?
As you probably know from MHoC, I'm a great advocate of annexation/invasion. However, international bodies would react with indignance if any country was seen to be constructing an empire. Unfortunately, modern day annexation is obnoxious to the right to 'national self determination' that everyone is so fond of, even if it may benefit the country in question.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by gladders)
No.
Aww you didn't even read my glorious post. It took me 20 mins
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aww you didn't even read my glorious post. It took me 20 mins
I did, I just disagree with all of it.

British control of the islands might be a boon to the people of those islands. But it matters not. It would be as abhorrent to them as it would be abhorrent to the people of England that France administer the Isle of Wight on our behalf.

It would not be with the consent of the people of those islanders, and would constitute nothing more than a purposeless, massive expense to the British Exchequer. The people of Britain would not have it.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
It would not be with the consent of the people of those islanders,
They live in Greece. I doubt they would vote to stay in, in a self-determination referendum.

and would constitute nothing more than a purposeless, massive expense to the British Exchequer. The people of Britain would not have it.
Half a million British people go there for holiday each year. Almost 70% of Ionian tourists are from the UK. Surely it's mutual help?

The South-West is also a tourist-region which the exchequer subsidises, but it's good for both of us that we are part of one nation.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They live in Greece. I doubt they would vote to stay in, in a self-determination referendum.
Well, it would be easy to resolve by having such a referendum, but I can be pretty certain of the result

Half a million British people go there for holiday each year. Almost 70% of Ionian tourists are from the UK. Surely it's mutual help?

The South-West is also a tourist-region which the exchequer subsidises, but it's good for both of us that we are part of one nation.
And if the French said they could run it better?
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ask them!

(dont send in 16000 Britsh 'volunteer' soliders and stage a referendum with only your first two choices as options)
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

what a lot of trolling cr*p ...
Attached files
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sure it could well be argued that we do colonise both Corfu and Zante every summer.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
what a lot of trolling cr*p ...
please stop attaching your selfies to your posts it's annoying as ****
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
please stop attaching your selfies to your posts it's annoying as ****
not you again...
you are early today ...
(by the way I put your name forward as the next Bond)
Attached files
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
not you again...
you are early today ...
(by the way I put your name forward as the next Bond)
I think you may have mental health issues. Pre-care home anxiety?
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Greece doesn't owe much money to the UK, but it is true that even regardless of any compensation it would be better for everyone if the islands (or all of Greece) were administered by the UK rather than by the Greek electorate. One problem is that they will eventually want the vote in British elections.
$100Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you the Asian dude that took a selfie with his laptop?
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Observatory)
Greece doesn't owe much money to the UK, but it is true that even regardless of any compensation it would be better for everyone if the islands (or all of Greece) were administered by the UK rather than by the Greek electorate. One problem is that they will eventually want the vote in British elections.
Well to be very honest even that wouldn't really pose a problem - Corfu has a population of 100k and the other islands combined would have 95k population. Tweaking this a little to account for children and immigrants who can't vote anyway it would be 85k and 80k respectively (15%), which wouldn't even make it into the top 10 biggest UK constituencies. Would 2 MP's be disastrous? They'd be smaller than Sinn Fein.

(Original post by $100Bill)
Are you the Asian dude that took a selfie with his laptop?
Spoiler:
Show
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well to be very honest even that wouldn't really pose a problem - Corfu has a population of 100k and the other islands combined would have 95k population. Tweaking this a little to account for children and immigrants who can't vote anyway it would be 85k and 80k respectively, which wouldn't even make it into the top 10 biggest UK constituencies. Would 2 MP's be disastrous? They'd be smaller than Sinn Fein.
Fair enough for the islands alone

Still, you have to consider what the advantage is of the UK owning them for the UK (the advantage for the inhabitants is obvious). It's hard to see what that might be. So why take even a small harm?

The best case for the UK is that Greece quits the Euro and inflates its currency; in that case holidaying in Greece will become very cheap. If it happens I plan to go this year.
$100Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
So much swag bro. Can't handle it.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
Still, you have to consider what the advantage is of the UK owning them for the UK (the advantage for the inhabitants is obvious). It's hard to see what that might be. So why take even a small harm?
Fair point. My best argument for taking those islands in would be the increase in taxation. Tourism is a pretty luxurious business, and although no one has even done a study I doubt that those islands would have a negative effect on UK Treasury. Most hospitals and schools are already built and airports are new, it's just a new flow of tax.

*I'm not playing a serious card here, just trying a bit of alternate history, but I would like to see it happen

If it happens I plan to go this year.
That's a bit of a short notice haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads