sraja95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just received my second year results and it has really hit me how much of an idiot I've been with my studies, as i received a third - 46% . I know that second year counts as 25% and 3rd year 75%, so all i want to know is how much i would have to get to achieve to get a 2:1, and if it is possible with major hard work? Or am i just kidding myself??

Any help would be extremely appreciated, thank you
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sraja95)
Just received my second year results and it has really hit me how much of an idiot I've been with my studies, as i received a third - 46% . I know that second year counts as 25% and 3rd year 75%, so all i want to know is how much i would have to get to achieve to get a 2:1, and if it is possible with major hard work? Or am i just kidding myself??

You need about 65% next year to get a 2:1. So yes, it is very possible.
sraja95
Rep:
?
(Original post by brittanna)
You need about 65% next year to get a 2:1. So yes, it is very possible.
Thank you so much! I feel so much better now
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sraja95)

first of all, i would say that at least 2nd year is only 1/4 of your entire degree - for many subjects it counts as 1/3 so at least that's something already

with respect to your grade, pulling a 46% up to 60% (albeit with much stronger weighting) will not be easy. working in catch up is never nice but try not to let it get you down and use it as motivation to remind you of what you're aiming for.
if my calculations are correct, you'd need an average of 64.6% (lets call it 65%) to pull your grade up to the "official" grade boundary for a 2.1.

getting a 65 isn't unattainable; in fact if you go to every lecture and do a respectable amount of revision, you would almost expect to get a mid 2.1 grade like that
as i was saying before, you are a little "lucky" (i use the word loosely) that 2nd year only counts for 1/4 because if it was 1/3 like most other degrees, you would've needed an average of 67%.
that doesn't sound like much of an increase, but you'd be surprised at how stingy examiners can get with marking that approaches the high 2.1 areas.

so all in all, yes you can still get a 2.1.
however you will need to change your work/revision system because (with respect) you're clearly clever enough to go to uni and you don't want to "waste" your talents by getting a third when you know you can go higher.

P.S: although i didn't mention it, i would imagine you'd get a bit of leeway with the grade boundaries anyway. if you got 2.1 grades across the board but just missed out on the overall average of 60%, it's likely that you'd get a 2.1 by discretion anyway
i've just finished my degree, so feel free to ask any more questions if you so wish.

tl;dr - yes you can still get a 2.1 but you'd need an average of about 65% in your final year to do so.
sraja95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
first of all, i would say that at least 2nd year is only 1/4 of your entire degree - for many subjects it counts as 1/3 so at least that's something already

with respect to your grade, pulling a 46% up to 60% (albeit with much stronger weighting) will not be easy. working in catch up is never nice but try not to let it get you down and use it as motivation to remind you of what you're aiming for.
if my calculations are correct, you'd need an average of 64.6% (lets call it 65%) to pull your grade up to the "official" grade boundary for a 2.1.

getting a 65 isn't unattainable; in fact if you go to every lecture and do a respectable amount of revision, you would almost expect to get a mid 2.1 grade like that
as i was saying before, you are a little "lucky" (i use the word loosely) that 2nd year only counts for 1/4 because if it was 1/3 like most other degrees, you would've needed an average of 67%.
that doesn't sound like much of an increase, but you'd be surprised at how stingy examiners can get with marking that approaches the high 2.1 areas.

so all in all, yes you can still get a 2.1.
however you will need to change your work/revision system because (with respect) you're clearly clever enough to go to uni and you don't want to "waste" your talents by getting a third when you know you can go higher.

P.S: although i didn't mention it, i would imagine you'd get a bit of leeway with the grade boundaries anyway. if you got 2.1 grades across the board but just missed out on the overall average of 60%, it's likely that you'd get a 2.1 by discretion anyway
i've just finished my degree, so feel free to ask any more questions if you so wish.

tl;dr - yes you can still get a 2.1 but you'd need an average of about 65% in your final year to do so.
Thank you so much for the honesty!! i really appreciate it. Definitely going to work my butt off next year!!!

Thank you again
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really
3rd year is alot harder than Second year.
You best bet is get a 2:1 in final year and get a 2:2 overall or change degree
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James222)
Not really
3rd year is alot harder than Second year.
You best bet is get a 2:1 in final year and get a 2:2 overall or change degree
Whilst the difficulty level does increase, it is assumed that the knowledge of the student does too.
There's no reason somebody can't work extremely hard and get 65% across the board.

If it were 70%, that's fair enough, but I maintain that if somebody is clever enough to get on to a course, they can certainly achieve a mid 2.1 over the course of a year if they put the effort in.

It really is all about effort - most people at uni have the capability to get a first, but only a small percentage put the extra effort in to get the grade.
It has been estimated on my course (psychology) that a person achieving a first on average puts 2x the amount of time in to their degree than somebody achieving a 2.1.
James222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Whilst the difficulty level does increase, it is assumed that the knowledge of the student does too.
There's no reason somebody can't work extremely hard and get 65% across the board.

If it were 70%, that's fair enough, but I maintain that if somebody is clever enough to get on to a course, they can certainly achieve a mid 2.1 over the course of a year if they put the effort in.

It really is all about effort - most people at uni have the capability to get a first, but only a small percentage put the extra effort in to get the grade.
It has been estimated on my course (psychology) that a person achieving a first on average puts 2x the amount of time in to their degree than somebody achieving a 2.1.
Look its not doable no matter what you think. Unless you spend your Second Year absolutely dossing around and doing no work then sure you can improve. However, if you made a serious attempt in your second year and still got a bad result, then even if you study twice as hard due to the law of diminishing returns your grades will not go up in proportion to the time you spent extra studying.

You need to increase in knowldege just to keep pace, let alone improve on your previous performance
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James222)
Look its not doable no matter what you think. Unless you spend your Second Year absolutely dossing around and doing no work then sure you can improve. However, if you made a serious attempt in your second year and still got a bad result, then even if you study twice as hard due to the law of diminishing returns your grades will not go up in proportion to the time you spent extra studying.

You need to increase in knowldege just to keep pace, let alone improve on your previous performance
I don't dispute anything you said there, however a third is a very low grade, and with respect to some individuals this may not apply to, in general you will find that people you get a third have done so due to lack of effort, not lack of intelligence.

The OP did give the "indication" that he hadn't worked as hard as he could've. Even so, the individual has come online to seek reassurance; asking people if there is still hope, and my answer is that there is.

Regardless of the way you see it, 65 is an attainable grade if you put the effort in.
Personally I'd much rather help somebody feel positive and motivated going in to their final year, than flat out telling them there's no point as you seem to be doing.

But that's just me...
James222
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
I don't dispute anything you said there, however a third is a very low grade, and with respect to some individuals this may not apply to, in general you will find that people you get a third have done so due to lack of effort, not lack of intelligence.

The OP did give the "indication" that he hadn't worked as hard as he could've. Even so, the individual has come online to seek reassurance; asking people if there is still hope, and my answer is that there is.

Regardless of the way you see it, 65 is an attainable grade if you put the effort in.
Personally I'd much rather help somebody feel positive and motivated going in to their final year, than flat out telling them there's no point as you seem to be doing.

But that's just me...
I guess I just dont want to give him false hope.
I dont think someone who got a 3rd in 2nd Year can get 65 in Final year.

My advise to him to work to get a 2:2 and plan for jobs that require 2:2 and then apply for thoose jobs during the next year.
Ttr7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got 49% in my second year and 62.5% in my third year. Is that enough to get a 2:1? My course is weighted 25% second year 75% third year. I think my university does exit velocity as well but I'm not certain.

Thanks for your help
nt1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi if i got a third overall in my second year (which is 40% of my overall graduating grade) what percentage would i need in third year (which is worth 60% of my overall grade) in order to get a 2:2 OR if possible, a 2:1

thanks in advance
Kaylarr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What was the outcome? I’m worried I just got 42% in my second year (had a really bad year was in and out of hospital and retook majority of my modules) now going into 3rd year with mixed emotions, I really want a 2:2 atleast???? Feeling determined more than ever but what are the chances???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.06%
They've been reasonable (69)
40.59%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.88%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)