The Student Room Group

A-level Subjects Help!

Hi all,

I just finished my gcse's a couple weeks ago and I'm struggling to make a choice on my A-level subjects. I know for certain that I've chosen Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I would like to study Medicine in the future at Oxbridge, Imperial etc. I know Physics seems like an obvious choice for a 4th AS but i did it at gcse and did not enjoy it, due to how confusing i found it (and awfully boring). I was thinking Further Maths but a friend told me it was not suitable for Medicine. Economics is now my other option and a last resort would be Psychology. Any advice would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.
Shouldn't this be in the medicine forum? Anyway, I think you should choose whatever you fancy for your fourth. You have 3 well respected and very suitable A levels for medicine, and the four you mention are all fine. Nothing wrong with Further Maths for medicine if you like it and are good at it.
Reply 2
Yeah, you don't need Physics so doing it when you don't like it would be a hindrance more than anything. Go for whatever you enjoy - I would personally err away from further maths in order to demonstrate to whichever universities you apply to that you have breadth - that's why I think economics (or a language) would be good. But at the end of the day, pick what you enjoy and you can't go wrong!
Is there any way you could do a humanities subject like english or history or a language? It might provide a welcome break from the sciences and also show unis that you have a range of skills. A fair few medical schools see Maths and FM as one a level so that was probably why your friend told you to steer clear.
Reply 4
Thanks so much for all the advice, sorry I just saw that you guys has replied me. I think Economics may be the way to go. Personally, I find English boring, and I'd rather not do History, though it was quite interesting when i did it back in Year 9.
I see what you mean with the FM now, better not to risk it. Thanks so much, btw @paradoxicalme I may be going crazy, but i could have sworn you got admitted to Cambridge. Yes i'm guilty of stalking successful applicants. If you did CONGRATS, such a brilliant achievement, I hope to go to Cambridge one day!
Original post by desertlover
Thanks so much for all the advice, sorry I just saw that you guys has replied me. I think Economics may be the way to go. Personally, I find English boring, and I'd rather not do History, though it was quite interesting when i did it back in Year 9.
I see what you mean with the FM now, better not to risk it. Thanks so much, btw @paradoxicalme I may be going crazy, but i could have sworn you got admitted to Cambridge. Yes i'm guilty of stalking successful applicants. If you did CONGRATS, such a brilliant achievement, I hope to go to Cambridge one day!

Only just saw this, and yes I did :biggrin: Thank you. If it gives you any inspiration, I was the wistful year 11 stalking the Cambridge threads 2 years ago and wishing I could post in the offer threads, and now I can, and so maybe you can too :biggrin:
Original post by desertlover

I see what you mean with the FM now, better not to risk it.

There is nothing risky about FM for medicine. Do it if you like it and are good at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending