Should Chimpanzees have human rights?

Watch
TomatoLounge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So apparently chimpanzees have a sense of right and wrong just like humans. They're our closest relatives - sharing 99% of the same DNA. They're facing extinction in many countries. We wouldn't allow it to happen to people so isn't it time we gave chimpanzees human rights?
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-10351333.html
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's time we take away human rights from people who support chimps to have the same rights

Wtf is wrong with people? Animals come and go big deal
IWantToBeThere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TomatoLounge)
So apparently chimpanzees have a sense of right and wrong just like humans. They're our closest relatives - sharing 99% of the same DNA. They're facing extinction in many countries. We wouldn't allow it to happen to people so isn't it time we gave chimpanzees human rights?
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-10351333.html
Also, interestingly, we are closer to chimpanzees than, say, gorillas.
I definitely support more rights for them. (and other animals as well)
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good God the world is going mental.
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's be cool to share the world among other intelligent animals.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think all animals should have rights in step with their vulnerability to suffering. On one end of the spectrum we have humans (very vulnerable), and on the other we have single-celled organisms (not vulnerable).

Great apes, dolphins and other intelligent animals, while probably not as vulnerable to suffering as humans, still deserve care and ought to have rights in proportion.

However, I'm only advocating care on the level of the individual - not the species. Only individuals have rights. We should care for animals as best we can, but it's pointless and mistaken in my opinion to protect the abstract concept of a species and be motivated because 'the species might die out' as opposed to 'these animals are suffering.'
A5ko
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Be excellent to one another..... and animals".

- Abraham Lincolnshire-Sausages.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're chimpanzees, not humans. Therefore, they should have chimpanzee rights not human rights. It's not as if a chimpanzee has any use for freedom of speech.

Anyway, if you give chimpanzees the same rights as a human then you must also make them subject to the same laws as a human. In which case thousands of chimpanzees all over the world, both in the wild and in captivity, would be guilty of, and would have to be punished for, crimes like murder, rape, assault, theft, extortion and animal cruelty, not to mention squatting and illegal hunting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed