Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    What is oxidising power?
    the ability or power to oxidise? -_-'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    for incomplete combustion of alkanes, carbon monoxide (CO) and water (H2O) are formed, rather than CO2+H2O
    then balance like normal.
    Isn't Carbon also produced?

ReputationRep:
    What is the functional group for a ketone? I know Aldehydes have carbonyl groups, and carboxylic have carboxy groups......but I can't remember the one for ketones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    Isn't Carbon also produced?
    Yes, and carbon dioxide too?

Hydrocarbon + oxygen --> CO(2) + H(2)O + CO + C

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and make sure you can definately draw the diagrams.. only in 2D, but it's worth a fair few marks in 3B. Edexcel chief examiner Rod Beavon has the diagrams on his own website.. www.rod.beavon.clara.net

I've been to this site, but I've never seen those brilliant diagrams. I'm gonna practice drawing them tonight. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Yes, and carbon dioxide too?

Hydrocarbon + oxygen --> CO(2) + H(2)O + CO + C
    I don't think CO2 is produced I think it's just C, CO, and H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    What is the functional group for a ketone? I know Aldehydes have carbonyl groups, and carboxylic have carboxy groups......but I can't remember the one for ketones!
    ketone is a functional group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    I don't think CO2 is produced I think it's just C, CO, and H2O
    Well, that's what I've been taught, and I have it in my notes - so it could be wrong. I don't trust my teachers.

Oh, so 'Ketones' describe the compoud and the functional group? Ok, I can go with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Well, that's what I've been taught, and I have it in my notes - so it could be wrong. I don't trust my teachers.

Oh, so 'Ketones' describe the compoud and the functional group? Ok, I can go with that

I would go with that. Co2 is not produced in incomplete combustions

ReputationRep:
    btw i have a question.. i needa sort out neuclophilic and electrophilic.. neuclophilic seeks for + and elecrto a - ? so that means neuclophilic is - themselve and electro +?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)

Actually now that I think about it, ketone isn't exactly the actual functional group. It is a homologous series.
    I'm not really sure what the func. group is. well I do know that it has a C that is double bonded to an O atom and has 2 R groups. But I have no clue what the func. group is called

ReputationRep:
    Looking this up, a few sites say that carbon dioxide is produce from incomplete combustion, for example Here

ReputationRep:
    C=O is the functional group of ketones.
    H-C=O is the functional group of aldehydes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydream)
    btw i have a question.. i needa sort out neuclophilic and electrophilic.. neuclophilic seeks for + and elecrto a - ? so that means neuclophilic is - themselve and electro +?
    nucleophilic species are attracted to positive centres. Since they are attracted to positive centres they have to be negative.
    The same goes for an electrophile it seeks out negative centres but is itself positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    I know what the functional groups look like - I just need to know the name for the functional group in ketones

ReputationRep:
    CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O
    CH4 + 1.5O2 --> CO + 2H2O
    CH4 + O2 --> C + 2H2O

3 options here... note that the less oxygen, the lower the ratio, the more lack of oxygen, the more it leads to incomplete combustion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    nucleophilic species are attracted to positive centres. Since they are attracted to positive centres they have to be negative.
    The same goes for an electrophile it seeks out negative centres but is itself positive.
    I see.. i was jus nuddled how the book put it.. species which seek out positive charge.. makes it sound like it is giving out positive charge..

Hold on.. mmm free radical subsitution is electrophilic right..? but chlorine is negative..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I know what the functional groups look like - I just need to know the name for the functional group in ketones
    dude, they are what they are called.

eg. -OH is the hydroxide's functional group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    An aldahyde is essentially a secondary ketone, that is the C from the C=O is attached to two other carbons, rather than just one. The C=O is the functional group of both, that'y why they are functional group isomers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Aldehydes and ketones both have the carbonyl group, just in aldehydes it's at the end of the chain, in ketones it's somewhere in the middle.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.