Top North West Universities Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just for anybody who wants to stay local, I could do other parts of the UK but I don't really know enough do it. I am bored and thought I would make a post thats at least 2% useful. I am exluding Yorkshire although Shefield is quite close to North West.

1. Manchester/Umist (17) (11) (89) 14
2. Lancaster (24) (51) (93) 37.5
3. Liverpool (41) (43) (89) 42
4. Salford (69) (83) (78) 76
5. Manchester Met (73) (88) (82) 80.5
6. University of Central Lancashire (79) (101) (81) 90
7. Liverpool John Moore's (85) (82) (81) 83.5
8. Bolton (N/A) (62) (N/A) 86
9. Liverpool Hope (N/A) (94) (N/A) 102
10. Edge Hill (N/A) (117) (N/A) 113.5

First brackets indicate Times league table score
Second indicates Gaurdian score
Third brackets are the amount of graduates in graduate level jobs/education 6 months after leaving. (percentage)

The forth number in red is the mean average between the Guardian and Times ranking. Where the Times has no rankings 110 is given as this is the middle between 100-120 (120 being the maxiumum number of universities listed in the Guardian)

The rankings were placed my subjective reputation but the Times backs this up. The Guardian didn't influence my positioning of this league table in anyway.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't Keele more in the midlands?
tammypotato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just for anybody who wants to stay local, I could do other parts of the UK but I don't really know enough do it. I am bored and thought I would make a post thats at least 2% useful. I am exluding Yorkshire although Shefield is quite close to North West.

1. Manchester/Umist
2. Lancaster
3. Liverpool
4. Keele
5. Salford
6. Manchester Met
7. University of Central Lancashire
8. Liverpool John Moore's
9. Bolton
10. Liverpool Hope

I am not sure if Keele should be included or not, I don't think I've missed any major N/W universities out.

The league tables were produced by general reputation which is subjective and guidance from the Times. If this were the Guardian then you would have to flip it upside and divide the whole thing by PI radius sq.
u forgot bradford (dont know if its in the nrth west tho ) lol
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, Lancaster more prestigious than Liverpool?
AT82
Rep:
?
Lancaster and Liverpool both have a great reputation, its probably unfair to say one is better than the other, however Lancaster for the areas I am interested in seems to have the edge, but there isn't really a lot it. I will adjust the league table a little bit, also I agree that I shouldn't have put Keele in it, as athough its not far it is technical the Midlands.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If Keele can be considered as being in the North West, it should be 2nd in your table in my opinion.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Lancaster and Liverpool both have a great reputation, its probably unfair to say one is better than the other, however Lancaster for the areas I am interested in seems to have the edge, but there isn't really a lot it. I will adjust the league table a little bit, also I agree that I shouldn't have put Keele in it, as athough its not far it is technical the Midlands.
yeh Lancaster is amazing for computer science, the guy who wrote the textbook that most other unis use is there and they're putting loads of money into the department. *tis where the bf is off too*

lou xxx
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingslaw)
If Keele can be considered as being in the North West, it should be 2nd in your table in my opinion.
I've taken it off now, I've also included rankings from both the times and the guardian. I may add some job prospects score if I can get a suitable source.

Just added job prospects from the Times league table as I couldn't find a better source, if anybody has a better source for this please let me know.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lancaster has a very good management school and a College named after the hill I am currently on.
AT82
Rep:
?
Ok its finalised now, I am counting the North West as the 'Granada region' which is Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Lancashire.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bolton University
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
Bolton University
Number 8!
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
Bolton University
Not till next year But thats why I just called it Bolton and not Bolton Insitute, actually it should be called Botlon Teaching University then it would probably deserve a decent ranking but for research its poo hence its not in the top 100 Times league tables.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Number 8!
Yep for the first time in History Bolton gets in the top 10
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does this post not just go some way to proving just how poor North West universities really are compared to other regions?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does this post not just go some way to proving just how poor North West universities really are compared to other regions?
It does indeed, hardly an academic hot-house.
AT82
Rep:
?
It just highlights maybe a funding gap the fact that the top 7 are ranked from 69 downwards. Its very interesting though. I haven't missed out a major North West university have I? The league tables just look some how wrong but also right.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
It does indeed, hardly an academic hot-house.
Come to think of it, you could ask this question about every other region (apart from the South East) and the results would be pretty similar, if not worse.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hahahaha - Bolton really should be stuck off every education-related list possibly produced,

i know of a few people who go there - got D/Es in English and they study it there - terrible lectures and the students need to get told what to do like 12 year olds
AT82
Rep:
?
Come to think of it, you could ask this question about every other region (apart from the South East) and the results would be pretty similar, if not worse.
Well the South West would do quite well too, if not perhaps Plymouth and Bournmouth but they still rank far better than the worst of the N/Ws.

The North East's would be.

1. Durham
2. Newcastle
3. Sunderland
4. Teeside.

I think the North West is perhaps the most interesting becuase of the huge gap between the top 3 and the rest. Yorkshires I would imagine would be more evenly spaced. But all the best universities do seem to be in the South East as always.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed