The Student Room Group

What were your grades in first year at uni?

What were your grades in first year at uni?

Scroll to see replies

74% but usually first year grades do not count towards your final degree, it is just to filter out useless people from the course.
Just received my provisional results two days ago: scraped a first. I'm still surprised, as I thought that I had sacrificed grades this year for an awesome social life (first year is only worth 10% of my degree total).

British politics: 81.5%
International Relations: 71%
Introduction to politics: 70%
Political analysis: 65.4%

Of course, these are subject to change.
Reply 3
I averaged 74% in my first year. It might not count towards my degree, but I wanted to do well to secure internships and work experience. Also, some of my modules were accredited by professional bodies so I needed to do well in these and not just aim for a university pass.
Worth 10% of my degree, I got 79%

The best four modules (which were taken forward)

Environmental Techniques 1: 76.1%
Environmental Techniques 2: 78.3%
The Physical Environment: 79.1%
Statistics: 83.8%

The other two modules (not taken forward)

The Biosphere: 67% (damn that bitch of a final exam- I thought it was ecology, not dentistry!)
Environmental Management and Sustainability: 74.7%
Reply 5
Averaged 59% (Politics and French) from Exeter.
Could have worked harder so I can't really complain too much. Can easily pull off a comfortable 2.1 with the sufficient work next year!
Worst on the thread so far; 64.5%. Was averaging high 60s and low 70s but then got one high 50 which pulled it down.
Reply 7
Original post by EloiseStar
Worst on the thread so far; 64.5%. Was averaging high 60s and low 70s but then got one high 50 which pulled it down.

Cough cough, lol.
77%. No major achievement though, as exams were almost completely multiple choice. Dropped a bit in the second year as the exams are largely essay based.
Averaged at 64.6%
Had 3 modules at low to mid 1sts, one module at a high 2.2 and an abysmal module at a high 3rd.
Which unis are you all at by the way? Just wondering if it's true that the top unis mark more harshly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
Which unis are you all at by the way? Just wondering if it's true that the top unis mark more harshly

Posted from TSR Mobile

LJMU biomedical sciences.
Original post by yabbayabba

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a general rule, better universities have more challenging assessments.
However, for final degree classifications, 1sts are more common at better universities.
61%
Original post by Quantex
As a general rule, better universities have more challenging assessments.
However, for final degree classifications, 1sts are more common at better universities.

Are you saying in your final year they hand out more 1sts?
Original post by xLittleMissyx
Are you saying in your final year they hand out more 1sts?

Yes. Top ten list is dominated by good universities:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11589598/Top-10-universities-for-first-class-degrees.html?frame=3295408
Reply 16
AABBBC

Probably like percentage in high 60s?

Didn't mean anything anyway, only final year counted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
51% and 54% in both exams. Pass mark 50%.

Hey, if it isn't counting towards my final degree, why am I going to study hard for it?
Original post by hihihihihi
74% but usually first year grades do not count towards your final degree, it is just to filter out useless people from the course.

The phrase 'filter out useless people from the course' is a bit harsh don't you think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Coke1
Cough cough, lol.

??

Quick Reply

Latest