The Student Room Group

What were your grades in first year at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hihihihihi
74% but usually first year grades do not count towards your final degree, it is just to filter out useless people from the course.

It doesn't always work though, because they make it too easy.
66% in Law. I was well happy with that!!! :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by felamaslen

I wouldn't say my first year was "easy". The first semester wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but second semester for sure I had to work my ass off.
Reply 83
Original post by felamaslen

What did you get in your first year :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by xpointx
Engineers you say
Me too

what engineering discipline do you study? and what grade?
Reply 85
66% first year. Literally did minimal revision so i'm pretty please with that!
64%, I started revision for my exams 2 days before though and watched a whole season of Revenge in the week-and-a-bit that my exams were in, so pretty pleased!
Averaged 58%; almost everything was rushed and half hearted though if I'm honest. I reckon if I'd tried harder it would have been more like 65%.
Original post by a10
I wouldn't say my first year was "easy". The first semester wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but second semester for sure I had to work my ass off.

I'd say it isn't easy if you want to do well, but it's a bit too easy to not fail, judging from some of the people I know who do virtually no work for the entire year yet still pass all their exams.
Original post by sf 2k15
What did you get in your first year :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

All firsts, but I did do work.
Original post by SophieSmall
LJMU biomedical sciences.

Hey SophieSmall - How are you finding BMS? Are you doing the sandwich degree with placement? Do you know what you want to do when you graduate?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in the reasons people choose biomed!
Original post by Bagsworth
Hey SophieSmall - How are you finding BMS? Are you doing the sandwich degree with placement? Do you know what you want to do when you graduate?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in the reasons people choose biomed!

First year is boring to be honest, modules look better in second year. Not sure about placement yet, but unlikely unfortunately.

Want to get into research, but will need experience. So will likely get low level job in a lab and work my way up, few years experience then a masters then apply for better jobs and then hopefully one day PhD.
First year is boring to be honest, modules look better in second year. Not sure about placement yet, but unlikely unfortunately.

Want to get into research, but will need experience. So will likely get low level job in a lab and work my way up, few years experience then a masters then apply for better jobs and then hopefully one day PhD.

It does get better - I did Biomed and graduated in 2012, just finishing a PhD in Pharmacology now. I did the sandwich year as well so I can register as a biomedical scientist which I may end up doing when I submit my thesis.

I was curious because many people who do the degree to become a biomedical scientist find out they can't without the placement year and since the NHS is cutting back now, there are very few trainee BMS positions around for graduates and no job. Research is very fun though, just something I don't want to completely be my career.
It does get better - I did Biomed and graduated in 2012, just finishing a PhD in Pharmacology now. I did the sandwich year as well so I can register as a biomedical scientist which I may end up doing when I submit my thesis.

I was curious because many people who do the degree to become a biomedical scientist find out they can't without the placement year and since the NHS is cutting back now, there are very few trainee BMS positions around for graduates and no job. Research is very fun though, just something I don't want to completely be my career.

As far as I've been made aware I can still register as biomedical scientist without the placement year so long as I fill in some sort of log book and reports sheet (or something along those lines) for a year whilst working in a suitable environment such as a lab.

Honestly no longer sure about the direction I'm going in any more being what I want, I've lost most passion for it and find it tedious. But at the moment it's all I know :frown: What do you want to do with your BMS degree if not research?
Original post by Roronoa
If I recall correctly, I averaged 72% in the first year of my undergraduate Engineering degree.

I then scored roughly 75% in each of my second and third years and thus graduated with a first.

I graduated in 2012. Time really flies =/

What type of engineering degree did you study?civil,electrical,mechanical....
As far as I've been made aware I can still register as biomedical scientist without the placement year so long as I fill in some sort of log book and reports sheet (or something along those lines) for a year whilst working in a suitable environment such as a lab.

Honestly no longer sure about the direction I'm going in any more being what I want, I've lost most passion for it and find it tedious. But at the moment it's all I know :frown: What do you want to do with your BMS degree if not research?

That might be true, I think there has been a change where you might be able to graduate your degree with your IBMS certificate as well. The great thing about doing biomed as a degree is that it is very broad and you dabble in genetics, biochem, microbiology, pharmacology, chemistry etc so you can do a lot of things with it when you finish.

I hope you find your passion for science again because I really did enjoy 2nd and final years when you really work hard. Biomed has so many lab practicals and write ups but it all adds to the flavour.
When I finish my PhD I feel like I will stay in the NHS as either a biomed or a clinical biochemist because the main low points with research is just how slow everything is and research is so detached from the rest of the world.

I would definitely advise doing a placement if you can. Better to find out sooner rather than later if you aren't going to like it. A placement is also one thing I wish I did while at uni because (in my experience) employers care more about your work experience than your degree.

In answer to the thread title though, I got a low-mid 2.2 in first year. I did slightly better in second year, but only final year counted towards my degree, so I didn't put much effort in until then and I got a 2.1 anyway. Law is too essay based for me to have done any better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That might be true, I think there has been a change where you might be able to graduate your degree with your IBMS certificate as well. The great thing about doing biomed as a degree is that it is very broad and you dabble in genetics, biochem, microbiology, pharmacology, chemistry etc so you can do a lot of things with it when you finish.

I hope you find your passion for science again because I really did enjoy 2nd and final years when you really work hard. Biomed has so many lab practicals and write ups but it all adds to the flavour.
When I finish my PhD I feel like I will stay in the NHS as either a biomed or a clinical biochemist because the main low points with research is just how slow everything is and research is so detached from the rest of the world.

I'm honestly not sure, it's been a bit of a fumble.

I hope so too, I'm just really struggling to enjoy it. As the years go on I just feel like I'm getting more and more stupid. My head just feels like cotton woo l and nothing is going in. Whether that is down to lack of passion and motivation, or if I'm genuinely just not intelligent enough I'm unsure.

Yeah I agree that's the low point of research, bit tedious no?
Original post by DarkMagic
I would definitely advise doing a placement if you can. Better to find out sooner rather than later if you aren't going to like it. A placement is also one thing I wish I did while at uni because (in my experience) employers care more about your work experience than your degree.

In answer to the thread title though, I got a low-mid 2.2 in first year. I did slightly better in second year, but only final year counted towards my degree, so I didn't put much effort in until then and I got a 2.1 anyway. Law is too essay based for me to have done any better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do want to do a placement year, though I don't want to get into the details of it. Funding wise I'm not sure if it's possible, been told different things from both SFE and my university.
I'm honestly not sure, it's been a bit of a fumble.

I hope so too, I'm just really struggling to enjoy it. As the years go on I just feel like I'm getting more and more stupid. My head just feels like cotton woo l and nothing is going in. Whether that is down to lack of passion and motivation, or if I'm genuinely just not intelligent enough I'm unsure.

Yeah I agree that's the low point of research, bit tedious no?

There's no doubt that as you go into uni things get a lot harder and sometimes its a struggle to keep up. Science in particular I've found at undergrad is all about what you know. In humanities you can argue certain points and back up your thoughts but in BSc level science, there is only the answer they are looking for. In coursework and postgrad there is more of a narrative and critique involved. I only got about a 64 in my first year but pulled it back for the next years.

Research can definitely be tedious, but it can be worth it, if just slow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending