The Student Room Group

Asked to withdraw my current course!

Hi all,

I had a really bad year and I didn't really have the chance/calm to apply my self in my studies.
At first year we were 400 students, only 160 places available for second year. I had a bad year last year too ( actually this year was just reflecting the events of the past one ), however I got a place in second year, which means I was better than many other students.

The second year anyway, did not go that well. I had financial issues + mental health problems + I did not enjoy my second subject at all ( and I got stressed out because for third year of psychology there was another cut off and really didn't want to graduate in my second subject ).

Around January 2015, where my mental health problems were stronger than ever, I went to my advisers of studies and asked if I could take a break or something, however I was really too stressed out and worried about my health to care about filling up forms and stuff.

I went back to my country and came back to my University in April. I spoke with so many people and explained my situation. At first they told me to retake second year ( even tho they weren't very clear about this ), then they gave me chance to resit exams in August or attend the ones in May despite my absence.

Well at the end of the day, even tho I feel better now, I was still having exams of my second subject that I really disliked and also, even if I try my best I always take the minimum grade at essays ( never more than 45 ) so when I was supposed to have the exams I just didn't show up because I wasn't feeling prepared enough for them.

Mean while, I found out I could still take my May exam of my first subject only 20 days before. During those 20 days I had a flue that lasted something like 10 days ( other people around me got that too, it was the worst flu ever, not joking! ) so I couldn't really study a lot -given I also didn't attend lectures, which means I studied an entire book of Neuropsychology in 20 days!
I got less than the minimum, something like 33.

TL;DR
I've been asked to withdraw my current course.
Is the word "current" significant in here? it might means that I must withdraw second year -thus I can't progress to third year- but that I might retake it by changing the subject? ( to the advisers I talked about this as well ).
is there any chance they may reconsider this?

I had serious problems, I have one police report ( even tho it's from one year ago but that is where all started ), I have to pay all the bills and rent by my self, I have the psychologist of the university that can write a letter for me ( she advises me to go away for a while ) and even tho I didn't submit personal circumstances my tutors know about my issues.

Do you think I will give another shot?
SAAS, after all, allow people to fail a year which means they know that people might commit mistake, like taking courses they don't like or encountering issues.

I am just very worried because I worked very hard to get in second year and to be fair I am more into psychology than people in my course that take high grades. High grades do not mean that those people are more worthwhile than me, maybe they just had an easier year. All I do during the day is reading journals of psychology, their loss if they lose me but how do I convince them?

Any of you has experience?

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest