The Student Room Group

Are these A-levels good for.....? (HELP PLEASE)

I am doing the A levels Economics, Geography and History, however I am unsure of what my fourth choice should be, any ideas?

I want to go into marketing in the future and when looking at various websites, they did not ask for any A levels in specific.

Side not: I really do not like maths at all and only managed to get a C in gcse so I hope that is okay for marketing and the option of maths is also out of the question for A-level choice.
I'm doing history too :biggrin: and I'm **** at maths. Can't be of no help sorry lol
Original post by NomadPrincess
I'm doing history too :biggrin: and I'm **** at maths. Can't be of no help sorry lol

Its okay :smile:
History is great right?
Politics would sit quite nicely with that set of subjects. If you want to go into marketing perhaps media studies, you've got three strong academic subjects there so it wouldn't hinder your chances when applying for uni/work. If not, English Language focuses a lot on the language of persuasion/marketing so could link in quite nicely with what you're hoping to do. :smile:
Original post by Piledriver
Politics would sit quite nicely with that set of subjects. If you want to go into marketing perhaps media studies, you've got three strong academic subjects there so it wouldn't hinder your chances when applying for uni/work. If not, English Language focuses a lot on the language of persuasion/marketing so could link in quite nicely with what you're hoping to do. :smile:

Thank you for the reply (:
This has been quite a lot of help, infact I was actually considering politics and English language, along with sociology for my fourth option as I heard that this would be a good option for marketing.
I also read that they like psychology for marketing and I can see why, however I am not really interested in that.

Maybe I will choose from English, politics and sociology.
Would English language and literature combined be a good choice?
Apparently universities do not like this though, is that true?
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Chocolate1250
Thank you for the reply (:
This has been quite a lot of help, infact I was actually considering politics and English language, along with sociology for my fourth option as I heard that this would be a good option for marketing.
I also read that they like psychology for marketing and I can see why, however I am not really interested in that.

Maybe I will choose from English, politics and sociology.
Would English language and literature combined be a good choice?
Apparently universities do not like this though, is that true?

I did both as English Lit and English Language separate subjects for my A2's and all of my teachers thought that by doing Lit/Lang combined you didn't particularly gain anything as you just sort of half learn each course - Honestly, it will depend on the uni some don't mind it but some of the top-tier ones do. I think you'd be better off picking just one if you decide you want to do english, but obviously it's up to you!
Original post by Piledriver
I did both as English Lit and English Language separate subjects for my A2's and all of my teachers thought that by doing Lit/Lang combined you didn't particularly gain anything as you just sort of half learn each course - Honestly, it will depend on the uni some don't mind it but some of the top-tier ones do. I think you'd be better off picking just one if you decide you want to do english, but obviously it's up to you!

Yes I have heard that's true and that they prefer you do either language or literature alone as you go in more depth. I am considering literature, however I may not do any English as I want to be fully interested in it, in order to well.
Thank you for the information, it has been of a lot of help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest