AQA English Literature A-Level (Love Through the Ages) Watch

michaelistudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone give me a reading list or a guide through what is to come in A Level Eng Lit? Thank you so much, I need to get ahead as I am doing 5 A-levels in total :/
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
oliveroll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by studentjjs)
Can anyone give me a reading list or a guide through what is to come in A Level Eng Lit? Thank you so much, I need to get ahead as I am doing 5 A-levels in total :/
Hi StudentJJS,

I finished my A2 Lit course - the same one as you are about to embark on. Like all other A level subjects, it depends on how much you want to put into your subjects and how you balance those 5 subjects overall. Different schools will do different texts, and you may want to get a guide which is not at all definitive from your school just so that you can get additional help with these texts. Feel free to send me a message
orangepeanut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I just finished the course myself, so I thought I'd give you a list of what I studied! I've bolded the ones that I thought were particularly relevant to the course/useful, and would encourage you to check them out, although you'll probably look at a few over the next year in your class! Hope this helps!
Poetry:
Studied In Class:
-A little Chaucer and Petrarch (more to do with the context/development of the prose and poetry form than the actual stories).-When We Two parted, Don Juan (extracts) and She Walks In Beauty- Byron.-Shakespeare sonnets 18 and 130.-Methought I saw my late espoused saint- John Milton.-The Sun Rising- John Donne.-To His Coy Mistress- Andrew Marvell.-To Lucasta, Going To The Wars- Richard Lovelace.-They Flee From Me That Sometime Did Seek- Thomas Wyatt.-Remember Me- Christina Rossetti.-How Do I Love Thee (Sonnet 43)- Elizabeth Barrett Browning.-Several E. E. Cummings poems.-The Clod and The Pebble and London- William Blake.-Bright star! Would I Were As Steadfast As Thou Art- Keats.
Studied In Own Time:
-Funeral Blues- WH Auden.-Goblin Market- Christina Rossetti.-The Rape of Lucrece- Shakespeare.-Several Percy Shelley poems.-Love A-La-Mode- John Dryden.-Love After Love, Omeros and The Schooner Flight- Derek Walcott.
Plays:
Studied In Class:
-Othello, Much Ado About Nothing and Richard III- Shakespeare.-She Stoops To Conquer- Oliver Goldsmith.-The Importance of Being Earnest- Oscar Wilde.-A Streetcar Named Desire- Tennessee Williams.
Studied In Own Time:
-Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Antony and Cleopatra, The Taming of The Shrew and The Merchant of Venice- Shakespeare.-The Duchess of Malfi- John Webster.-The Rover- Aphra Behn.-The Way of The World- William Congreve.-The Country Wife- William Wycherley.-The Rivals- Richard Sheridan.-Waiting For Godot- Samuel Beckett.
Prose:
Studied In Class:
-Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen.-Persuasion- Jane Austen.-Tess of the D'Urbervilles- Thomas Hardy.-Captain Corelli’s Mandolin- Louis De Bernieres.
Studied In My Own Time:
-Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte.-Villette- Charlotte Bronte.-The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald.-Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit- Jeanette Winterson.-Revolutionary Road- Richard Yates.-Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov.-The English Patient- Michael Ondaatje.-The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini.-A few Oscar Wilde short stories/essays.
taikibansei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Off the top of my head (so this is definitely not everything, but they're probably important if they're the ones that I remember!), these are some of the things I read/took extracts from when I did it

Poetry
  • Birthday Letters - Ted Hughes
  • The World's Wife - Carol Ann Duffy
  • The Definition of Love - Andrew Marvell (although I'm not much into poems, this is now probably my favourite, it's beautiful :love:)
  • The Symptoms of Love - Robert Graves
  • The Song of Troilus - Chaucer
  • The Flea - John Donne
  • A few Shakespeare sonnets - Sonnet 18 (pretty sure I accidentally wrote it was 70 or something in the exam though... oops ) and Sonnet 130 are common ones to study

Prose
  • The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
  • The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick
  • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  • The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit - Jeannette Winterson

Drama
  • A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
  • Loads of Shakespeare; The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, Othello, King Lear and Hamlet are a few I learned quotes from.
  • A Woman of No Importance - Oscar Wilde
  • Educating Rita - Willy Russell
  • A Taste of Honey - Shelagh Delaney
Try to cover a lot of time periods, and subjects of love; it's really easy to get overwhelmed with everything that you have to cover but as long as you get a solid understanding of form, structure and context and why these are important as well as some quotes which can be applied broadly and which you know well, it's not so bad. Best of luck for the coming year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.95%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.76%