The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, job prospects, pay etc.... Is it really worth it?

I am a year 12 student, have just completed my AS exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. It is around the time of the year that i have to start drafting my personal statement, think about universities etc. I have never had a clear idea what i wanted to do and for the last couple of months i have settled with Biochemistry, i find the course content really interesting and i would enjoy learning more.However, when people hear i want to do Biochemistry they recommend i don't.

I trawled through many different websites trying to figure out why people have said i shouldn't study Biochem, i have found out why. Compared to a lot of other courses, Biochem has higher entry requirements and is much less prosperous and rewarding in the long term, salary wise it is not great. You cannot get a decent job without a PhD and you are also limited into what you can do. That is if you actually find a job which seems to be ever more difficult in the Biochemistry line of work.

So i have started to think about doing something else such as accounting/finance or maybe even pharmacy. I really don't know at this stage.

If there are any people studying biochemistry or recent graduates i would greatly value your thoughts and if there are people who have opted out of doing biochemistry at the last hurdle, do you regret it or not?
I'm currently an offer holder for biochemistry at the University of Bristol/Nottingham to start in September, and now I find myself in the process of begging them to change my offer from biochemistry to chemistry due to the same information that you've found.
Reply 2
I'd hate to be in your position, thankfully I have realised earlier rather than later that Biochemistry wouldn't be worthwhile. Chemistry is a good choice to change to however, so I hope it works out for you! Chemistry and Physics are regarded very highly compared to biology.
It really depends on what you want to do. For a career in research you will need at least a masters degree if not a PhD. Otherwise you can take the transferable skills gained into pretty much any job that requires it. If you're unsure about your interests at this stage, go with a braod based degree course that interests you the most.
You sound exactly like me!! We've even got the exact same AS levels!!! I think I've decided on medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've looked into Dentistry and Medicine but I've left it way to late to actually give it serious consideration at the moment. If I wanted to do Dentistry or Medicine, which I might, then I would need to take a gap year, do a load of work experience, prepare for the UKCAT properly and apply in 2017.
Reply 6
Original post by DKV98
I am a year 12 student, have just completed my AS exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. It is around the time of the year that i have to start drafting my personal statement, think about universities etc. I have never had a clear idea what i wanted to do and for the last couple of months i have settled with Biochemistry, i find the course content really interesting and i would enjoy learning more.However, when people hear i want to do Biochemistry they recommend i don't.

I trawled through many different websites trying to figure out why people have said i shouldn't study Biochem, i have found out why. Compared to a lot of other courses, Biochem has higher entry requirements and is much less prosperous and rewarding in the long term, salary wise it is not great. You cannot get a decent job without a PhD and you are also limited into what you can do. That is if you actually find a job which seems to be ever more difficult in the Biochemistry line of work.

So i have started to think about doing something else such as accounting/finance or maybe even pharmacy. I really don't know at this stage.

If there are any people studying biochemistry or recent graduates i would greatly value your thoughts and if there are people who have opted out of doing biochemistry at the last hurdle, do you regret it or not?

Hey there,

Ive just finished Sixth Form recently and did the exact same AS subjects as you... Maths, Chem, Bio and History and ended up dropping Maths as it was my weakest subject. I didnt get too good of AS grades with two C's and an A under my belt so medicine and dentistry were out of the way as its probably way too competitive for me. I secured an ABB offer for Biochem at Notts but for the past couples of months Ive been bombared with comments such as life sciences' are useless degrees due to high entry requirements but very low job prospects unless you wanna go into research but even then the salary is minimal... plus I really dont want to do a phD or a masters. Ive heard I can get into finance with this degree but whats the point because im gunna be up against people with economics, finance and accounting degrees.

Im now regretting the decision and may go into clearing/adjustment to sort it out or when i start uni in nottingham ask for a transfer into another degree.. possible finance/accounting degree

my advice is to keep maths as much as possible..especially if your good at it because it keeps your options of degrees wide open (engineering, architecture, finance etc) you can get almost anywhere with maths... without it well you can only go into sciences,,,,
Reply 7
Original post by david.willis90
I'm currently an offer holder for biochemistry at the University of Bristol/Nottingham to start in September, and now I find myself in the process of begging them to change my offer from biochemistry to chemistry due to the same information that you've found.

Im an the exact same page with an offer from Notts... will they change it for you and will chemistry offer better job prospects?
I just finished my first year of biochem and have a few bits of advice/what I have found. Careers are definitely not limited and they're not restricted to research etc. There are around 45/50 on straight biochem and 4 are going to go into law, I want to do medicine (late change of heart), a couple others want to do graduate medicine, a fair few are looking into pharma (pays well). A handful are looking into marketing and I have done marketing work experience before at one of the top FMCG companies and they told me they have several people in various roles in marketing, HR, etc that did biochem. Only a handful of people want to stick to doing full on intense research/lab work as a career or go into a career as an academic/full on scientist, which is what you would need a phd/masters for. I also know a fair few people doing biological sciences and there are more of them that want to go into the science/animal/marine based areas of work, which, granted, are less well paying later on. Biochem is a degree that you can go into pretty much anything if you want to and people do all sorts with it.

I got 3A*s at a level and can honestly say first year has been a lot harder than I expected considering I was way into the entry requirements of AAB. Both the biology and the chemistry is far, far harder than at a level, particularly the chemistry modules I have had so I would seriously think about trying to change to straight chemistry because degree level chem is a massive step up from a level and is very intense.

Let me know if you have more questions x
Reply 9
Original post by Laura05Apple
I just finished my first year of biochem and have a few bits of advice/what I have found. Careers are definitely not limited and they're not restricted to research etc. There are around 45/50 on straight biochem and 4 are going to go into law, I want to do medicine (late change of heart), a couple others want to do graduate medicine, a fair few are looking into pharma (pays well). A handful are looking into marketing and I have done marketing work experience before at one of the top FMCG companies and they told me they have several people in various roles in marketing, HR, etc that did biochem. Only a handful of people want to stick to doing full on intense research/lab work as a career or go into a career as an academic/full on scientist, which is what you would need a phd/masters for. I also know a fair few people doing biological sciences and there are more of them that want to go into the science/animal/marine based areas of work, which, granted, are less well paying later on. Biochem is a degree that you can go into pretty much anything if you want to and people do all sorts with it.

I got 3A*s at a level and can honestly say first year has been a lot harder than I expected considering I was way into the entry requirements of AAB. Both the biology and the chemistry is far, far harder than at a level, particularly the chemistry modules I have had so I would seriously think about trying to change to straight chemistry because degree level chem is a massive step up from a level and is very intense.

Let me know if you have more questions x

Thanks for your thoughts, theyre greatly appreciated, especially since you have first hand experience :smile:

Surely if so many people want to branch of and do things like marketing and pharmacy/pharmacology then surely it would be better to do a degree in something like that to start of with? I dont see myself going into education or research if i do biochemistry, more working in industry, thats why im now looking to do something like pharmacy at uni instead of biochemistry.

Also, if you dont mind me asking.... Why did you choose biochem, what drew you to it? Also what are you looking to do after you graduate?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DKV98
Thanks for your thoughts, theyre greatly appreciated, especially since you have first hand experience :smile:

Surely if so many people want to branch of and do things like marketing and pharmacy/pharmacology then surely it would be better to do a degree in something like that to start of with? I dont see myself going into education or research if i do biochemistry, more working in industry, thats why im now looking to do something like pharmacy at uni instead of biochemistry.

Also, if you dont mind me asking.... Why did you choose biochem, what drew you to it? Also what are you looking to do after you graduate?

No worries. Well I can't speak for the pharmacy/pharmacology side of things but for the business side of things, unless you do a degree like economics, lots of big companies actually prefer graduates with solid degrees like science or languages etc rather than business or marketing degrees because you get lots of transferrable skills from your degree that can be used in marketing/business etc, and quite frankly science degree are harder than degrees like marketing so are preferable. My dad works for one of the world's biggest FMCG companies and when I did work experience in the marketing department, 5 of the team were science graduates, 4 were languages, 2 did humanities and only one did a business type degree and it was from a top 5 uni.

When you say you don't want to do research but want to go into industry, what do you mean by that? Because lots of jobs 'in industry' are research jobs. Unless you mean something like marketing/HR/sales in a pharma/biotech company? From what I have heard, biochem is much broader than pharmacy and allows you to go into much more than pharmacy but it is up to you.

I did biochem because at the time I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do and was very torn between sciences or a history degree or perhaps medicine. I knew I was good at chemistry and good at bio and enjoyed the a level courses for both and I knew that if I did science I could still read a history book and understand it but if I chose history I wouldn't really be able to read a science book (of a higher than a level standard) and actually understand it. Since then I have had some family health problems, which has made me have a change of heart so I think I want to do medicine now. If not, I will do something like marketing hopefully in the pharma industry or a consumer goods company.
Reply 11
Hi,
I know its been a while now since you posted this but i wanted to ask if you have any regrets for picking biochemistry as your degree and what you ended up choosing as your career path. I am to start studying biochemistry as a degree from September and i would appreciate any words of advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending