Apparently private security companies paid ex soildiers around £2000 a week. Did some Watch

hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Apparently private security companies such as the formerly named Blackwater paid ex soildiers around £2000 a week to work for them as security personnel. Did some use the military as gateway to these jobs? I.e get trained then get a job at a private security company such as Blackwater etc? Do people still use this route to further their careers or get more pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think about it. There was fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan at the same time. There were a LOT of security jobs to be had and there was some daft money floating about.

Now?

Not so much. There is no 'career' in private security in very dangerous places and I've not met anyone who joined the Armed Forces with a view to doing that afterwards. There are still high-paying jobs but there are more than enough well-trained people to do them.
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi HSV, not sure if you were thinking of passing through this gateway to fast bucks, but here's a flavour of the PMC world!

Alternatively, you could get SIA qual'd and work the doors at your local night time economy - meet lots of nice people and smile at them having fun and engaging with the blue light taxi drivers.
unruly1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Apparently private security companies such as the formerly named Blackwater paid ex soildiers around £2000 a week to work for them as security personnel. Did some use the military as gateway to these jobs? I.e get trained then get a job at a private security company such as Blackwater etc? Do people still use this route to further their careers or get more pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to go down the private security route to achieve that sort of figure. If you find yourself in the right job or working on the right type of equipment there are sometimes opportunities to 'go contracting' and earn big bucks. Think £3-500/day purely working on IT equipment in the UK.

Private security people out in places such as Kabul will probably be on £1k/day, but there is a big risk out there.
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
It was never a career path I intended but I did go eventually from armed forces to coefor to event security to close protection. Quite a few people I work with do maritime security and stuff in the Middle East but apparently earnings, while still good, have dropped dramatically in the last few years as too many people are now getting in on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.74%
No (44)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (139)
38.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise