This discussion is closed.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by etomac)
btw can u explain to me :rolleyes:
cuz i come from Hong Kong and i just read that somewhere (i.e. i forgot)
Explain what ?
etomac
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
why so many ppl make fun of UofLuton?
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
why so many ppl make fun of UofLuton?
It's just awful. Luton's a dull, dull place, the students who go there usually have two or three E's at A Level, and they offer ridiculous courses like Media Studies.

Thames Valley (TVU), Paisley, Bolton, Edge Hill...the list goes on.
etomac
Report 14 years ago
ohh right
i read that they r very proud of moving up to 74th place in times ranking in their website
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ohh right
i read that they r very proud of moving up to 74th place in times ranking in their website
I think they should be very proud they're allowed to exist as a university.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Well Manchester Encoding is very well known in computer science and of course that was invented at Manchester University.
:rolleyes:
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
It's just awful. Luton's a dull, dull place, the students who go there usually have two or three E's at A Level, and they offer ridiculous courses like Media Studies.

Thames Valley (TVU), Paisley, Bolton, Edge Hill...the list goes on.
Edge Hill has a good teaching college
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vincent gallo)
Well known amongst academics or just people generally?

I think that after Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and Imperial the most well known would probably be the universities located in major cities like Mancester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol and Glasgow. St Andrews may be more famous now as a result of Prince William studying there. Im not sure about UCL, perhaps people would just think of it as the 'University of London'. .

Bath, Nottingham, York and Warwick may have gained prestige in recent times but surely not enough to make them really famous overseas?
if it was with academics then i heard UCL would be very highly renowned. according to a league table i saw last year there was a new criteria which measured how much many times research from UCL was quoted or referenced in new works that year....taking this into account apparently UCL would be second or even top of the league tables. but thats just a side issue to show how it suggests UCL is pretty well known academically.

as for people generaly i agree, ucl would probably be known just as the uni of london.
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lse infront of cambridge? no ways
that is pretty bizzarre. cambridge would definitely be second abroad. oxford and cambridge are really the only two that would be regularly recognised abroad. lse might be known, but to a less significant proportion of people.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My list for the top 10 unis are (not in particular order though):

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Nottingham
Imperial
Bath
Exeter
UMIST/Manchester
Edinburgh
Southampton
who_me
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
23% of the students at Kent Uni are international. I asked a German Computer Science student why this was....he said that in Germany, and also other European countries like Holland and France, Kent is one of the most respected UK Universities. I know it doesn't compete with the top 10, but I'm sure it would be in the top 20 somewhere. And I have to promote Kent 'cause I'm going there in September...haha.
Nissa
Report 14 years ago
I ask many people before who are never interested in UK universities

I got these results

Oxford - Yes
Cambridge - Yes
LSE - I think I ve heard that somewhere before
Imperial - ? sounds familar
Others - ???

Some people said to me "Is Harvard in UK?"
True , in france only Oxford, Cambridge and maybe LSE are known.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmmmm, I'll ask an American guy from my school who never looked into applying to the UK what are names automatically come to mind when I see him later. Could be reasonably interesting.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Hmmmm, I'll ask an American guy from my school who never looked into applying to the UK what are names automatically come to mind when I see him later. Could be reasonably interesting.
Anyone care to bet that he will say Oxbridge, the top 3 london uni's and Edinburgh..........not that I think international students are at all attracted to prestige or capital cities!!!

Also, would this thread not mean MUCH more if was only international students voting as opposed to most of us insular, self-loving British people with absolutey no idea of how we are percieved outside our own shores?!?...just a thought.
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1. Oxford
1. Cambridge
3. LSE
3. KCL
3. ICL
6. Nottingham
7. Warwick
8. UCL
9. Birmingham
10. ??? (Edinburgh or Bath maybe)
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Anyone care to bet that he will say Oxbridge, the top 3 london uni's and Edinburgh..........not that I think international students are at all attracted to prestige or capital cities!!!
What about Cardiff? Don't forget Wales!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
What about Cardiff? Don't forget Wales!
Ahhh yes the forgotten capital!!!
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lse infront of cambridge? no ways
The amount of international students who go there is unbelievable. And for postgrad it's certainly on of the most popular with international students - probable the best too.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Edinburgh does seem to have a very high reputation abroad and should certainly make everyone's top ten list here, look at the opening post of the thread "Edinburgh = Oxbridge?":
http://www.uk-learning.net/t35198.html
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Edinburgh does seem to have a very high reputation abroad and should certainly make everyone's top ten list here, look at the opening post of the thread "Edinburgh = Oxbridge?":
http://www.uk-learning.net/t35198.html
It isn't as good as Cambridge, Oxford or Dundee though, is it?

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads