Turn on thread page Beta

Top 10 UK universities most recognized internationally watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    The reason he had to move to Cambridge was because there was no one good enough at Oxford to supervise him for his cosmology PhD or something. Same with Wiles (the guy who proved Fermat's Last Theorem)...he did his undergrad at Oxford, but announced his proof at Cambridge.
    :eek: always thought cambridge was better

ReputationRep:
    I thought Andrew Wiles did his undergrad at Clare. Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    :eek: always thought cambridge was better
    I have the same unfortunate bias.

No, Wiles was at Merton, Oxford for his undergrad work. He did his PhD at Clare I believe.

ReputationRep:

No, Wiles was at Merton, Oxford for his undergrad work. He did his PhD at Clare I believe.
    I see! Clare neglected to mention *that* in their prospectus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Lol, i realised it'd typed that wrong. Caius simply mentioned hawkings was the lucasian proff there. I have no idea where he did his phd, but i knew he did it at cambs.

ReputationRep:

Unfort I'm not going there. Still biased though , possibly due to my extreme bias towards natural sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Which prospectus is this? I was just looking at the 2004 University Prospectus, and they don't mention him.

ReputationRep:
    Unfort I'm not going there. Still biased though , possibly due to my extreme bias towards natural sciences.
    According to the Guardian tables, Oxford is better at Cambridge for most of the science subjects it seems. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    According to the Guardian tables, Oxford is better at Cambridge for most of the science subjects it seems. :rolleyes:
    This is the guardian we're dealing with. They probably got pissed, then decided to chuck in random universities at each ranking. How else did they get SOAS above LSE?

then again, the guardian could be a fresh new approach to old reputations. Maybe I'm just set in my ways.

ReputationRep:
    then again, the guardian could be a fresh new approach to old reputations. Maybe I'm just set in my ways.
    Maybe, but some of the rankings are just too ridiculous. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but some of the rankings are just too ridiculous. :cool:
    too right, old ways are good...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    LBS
    IC
    EDIN
    Warwick
    BATH
    BRISTOL

ReputationRep:
    This is the guardian we're dealing with. They probably got pissed, then decided to chuck in random universities at each ranking. How else did they get SOAS above LSE?

yeah ur right m8. guardian tables 4 sh!t. only they wud b stupid 2 put bham 4th for economics, ahead of york, ucl, warwick, manch, durham, etc.

ReputationRep:
    In Singapore, it's definately:

1) Cambridge
    2) Oxford
    3) Imperial
    4) LSE
    5) Warwick
    6) UCL
    7) KCL

In that order.

That's about it. Notice that it's mostly Oxbridge and London universities. I don't really know why but I guess those places are where top Singapore scholars choose to go.

Durham has quite a high reputation in the UK, but unfortunately in Singapore, this is somewhat lacking. Perhaps when more scholars choose to go there, its reputation will increase.

But personally, I have visited Durham's website and I find the place to be simply beautiful.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutrino)
    In Singapore, it's definately:

1) Cambridge
    2) Oxford
    3) Imperial
    4) LSE
    5) Warwick
    6) UCL
    7) KCL
    That's surprising. I would have thought that Oxford was better recognised throughout the world than Cambridge. And why Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    That's surprising. I would have thought that Oxford was better recognised throughout the world than Cambridge.
    Not for science-minded people.

ReputationRep:
    hey neutrino, i totally agree.

i'm from hong kong, so things are pretty much the same.

oxford and cambridge are really tied. and ucl and kcl would prolly be in the same position. this is in hk though.

and apart from oxbridge and the london unis, warwick is prolly the next best known....prolly edinburgh too, from what i've heard.

(Original post by gangrene)
    hey neutrino, i totally agree.

i'm from hong kong, so things are pretty much the same.

oxford and cambridge are really tied. and ucl and kcl would prolly be in the same position. this is in hk though.

and apart from oxbridge and the london unis, warwick is prolly the next best known....prolly edinburgh too, from what i've heard.
    Apparentely there is no overall concensus then because based the only person I know from Hong Kong is of the opinion that the people in her home country are aware of Oxbridge, LSE, IC, UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews and NOWHERE else. When asked about Warwick, York and Bristol the best she could muster was a polite shrug.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham university is definetly well known internationally, especialy in the United States and Australia. This is for many reasons. First of all it has many world class lecturers including the guy that cloned Dolly the sheep (he also graduated from there). Two kings from the far east have graduated from there and Nottingham has majour links with both America and Australias top universities such as Berkley, University of California and University of Sydney! It also has major research links with many other world known universities!!

(Original post by btigershark)
    Nottingham university is definetly well known internationally, especialy in the United States and Australia. This is for many reasons. First of all it has many world class lecturers including the guy that cloned Dolly the sheep (he also graduated from there). Two kings from the far east have graduated from there and Nottingham has majour links with both America and Australias top universities such as Berkley, University of California and University of Sydney! It also has major research links with many other world known universities!!
    Did anyone else read this and immediately suspect that it's writer may be off to Notts?!? :rolleyes:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.