Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Top 10 UK universities most recognized internationally watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    That's surprising. I would have thought that Oxford was better recognised throughout the world than Cambridge. And why Warwick?
    Warwick have marketing people to promote themselves abroad

(Original post by shiny)
    Warwick have marketing people to promote themselves abroad
    Can you name a "top" university that doesn't?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well u may be right, but I wouldnt have chosen a university that wasn't internationally known, and all of these facts are valid and helped me to make my descission on university! besides knowing my luck I probably won't end up there anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btigershark)
    First of all it has many world class lecturers including the guy that cloned Dolly the sheep (he also graduated from there).
    He works for an institute connected to the University of Edinburgh. Incidentally, I think it would be fair to say that Edinburgh has greater recognition worldwide than Nottingham.

(Original post by d750)
    He works for an institute connected to the University of Edinburgh. Incidentally, I think it would be fair to say that Edinburgh has greater recognition worldwide than Nottingham.
    Hence I rejected Notts and picked Edinburgh...lol....nahhh I just though the Comp Sci course looked better. I would agree with it having a better world-wide reputation but it is a little unfair because Edinburgh is incredibly old and also it is a capital city. Both of these make sure that whether people like the place or not, they will undoubtedly know its reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not trying to state that Nottingham is better than everywhere else, all I am trying to say is that Nottingham does have a world wide reputation and that is a fact tht nobody can dispute. Edinburgh may have a better reputation internationally than Nottingham, but who cares, I don't! As long as the uni has an international reputation then thats all that realy matters, not what other uni's in the UK might be slightly better known internationally.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not trying to state that Nottingham is better than everywhere else, all I am trying to say is that Nottingham does have a world wide reputation and that is a fact tht nobody can dispute. Edinburgh may have a better reputation internationally than Nottingham, but who cares, I don't! As long as the uni has an international reputation then thats all that realy matters, not what other uni's in the UK might be slightly better known internationally.
    You can say that a university doesn't have an international reputation while still believing that it's a good one. Nottingham is clearly a good university - must be one of the top twenty in most people's estimation - but I don't think it has an international reputation. If you asked people around the world about it I think the overwhelming response would be "Huh?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    That's surprising. I would have thought that Oxford was better recognised throughout the world than Cambridge. And why Warwick?
    why not warwick??

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on how worldly the people u ask are. I mean u could ask some dumb ass person in Japan what university they think is most well known in their own country and they may not be able to even give you the name of one university. So like I said, Nottingham University does have a world class reputation, FACT. And if you did ask say a lecturer at a top university in America, they would most definetly be able to identify Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    So like I said, Nottingham University does have a world class reputation, FACT. And if you did ask say a lecturer at a top university in America, they would most definetly be able to identify Nottingham
    Actually, I don't think they would. You certainly can't claim that it's a fact. I think (based on purely anecdotal evidence of course) that in America, even amongst professors, they will be no recognition of any university apart from Oxford, Cambridge, the major London universities and Edinburgh. They may know that Nottingham has a university but I think most foreigners would just lump it together with all the other Russell group unis without being able to judge the relative reputations of each.
    Nottingham (and Warwick) are clearly good universities, 'though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    why not warwick??
    Because it's relatively new and fairly indistinguishable from the non-Oxbridge/London Russell Group universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Good question.

In terms of level of recognition in Singapore, Cambridge and Oxford are probably equally ranked. BUT with regards to employers' perception, Cambridge is definately more prestigious than Oxford.

I guess that reasons are twofold: Firstly, Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore did his law degree at Cambridge, and his son DPM Lee Hsien Loong got a First in Mathematics from Cambridge as well.

Secondly, in terms of academics, I think it has something to do with the age-old quote, "....the best academics went off to Oxford, and from Oxford the best went off to Cambridge...." (Can't remember the exact phrase).

With regards to Warwick, the only reason I can think of is that it is where top scholars here in Singapore choose to go to. By "scholars" I mean the yearly top A-level students who have won the prestigious government scholarships. When I was in six-form college (known as Junior Colleges here), a senior of mine who was the top Mathematics student of his cohort chose to go to Warwick, but I didn't ask him why

I'm not quite sure about the reputation of Uni Nottingham here in Singapore. Because I once mentioned the name of the University to a friend and his reply was (half-jokingly), "Oh, Robin Hood from Sherwood forest"?

But then, his remark wasn't entirely fair because I had another friend who went over to Nottingham for one semester for student exchange and he swears that it a terrific place with world-class academics and facilities.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Good question.

In terms of level of recognition in Singapore, Cambridge and Oxford are probably equally ranked. BUT with regards to employers' perception, Cambridge is definately more prestigious than Oxford.

I guess that reasons are twofold: Firstly, Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore did his law degree at Cambridge, and his son DPM Lee Hsien Loong got a First in Mathematics from Cambridge as well.

Secondly, in terms of academics, I think it has something to do with the age-old quote, ".....the best academics went off to Oxford, and from Oxford the best went off to Cambridge...." (Can't remember the exact phrase).

With regards to Warwick, the only reason I can think of is that it is where top scholars here in Singapore choose to go to. By "scholars" I mean the yearly top A-level students who have won the prestigious government scholarships. When I was in six-form college (known as Junior Colleges here), a senior of mine who was the top Mathematics student of his cohort chose to go to Warwick, but I didn't ask him why

I'm not quite sure about the reputation of Uni Nottingham here in Singapore. Because once I mentioned the name of the University to a friend and the reply was (half-jokingly), "Robin Hood from Sherwood forest"?

But then, his remark wasn't entirely fair because I had another friend who went over to Nottingham for one semester on student exchange and he swears that it a terrific place with world-class academic support and facilities...

ReputationRep:
    Apparentely there is no overall concensus then because based the only person I know from Hong Kong is of the opinion that the people in her home country are aware of Oxbridge, LSE, IC, UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews and NOWHERE else. When asked about Warwick, York and Bristol the best she could muster was a polite shrug.
    Well, as you said, that was based on the only person you know from Hong Kong, although I don't dispute the fact that she may be correct. However, from talking to students, teachers, aunties and uncles who work in big law firms, investment banking firms, etc....few know of St Andrews. It is generally oxbridge, the four big london unis, Warwick, occasionally Bristol and Edinburgh they're aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)

Oxford is a hell of a lot more recognised throughout the world than Cambridge. However, that's going along with what the 'general public' thinks, rather than academic circles. Although, of course that's not to say it's a 'better' university. Warwick because its business school is regarded as amongst the very best in Europe. And at the end of the day, nobody gives a damn about the department of Anthropology or History of Art, it's not going to create global recognition for you, however a world famous MBA will - it seems as though Warwick realise this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Oxford is a hell of a lot more recognised throughout the world than Cambridge. However, that's going along with what the 'general public' thinks, rather than academic circles. Although, of course that's not to say it's a 'better' university. Warwick because its business school is regarded as amongst the very best in Europe. And at the end of the day, nobody gives a damn about the department of Anthropology or History of Art, it's not going to create global recognition for you, however a world famous MBA will - it seems as though Warwick realise this.
    Why would Oxford by more recognised than Cambridge? Ive never met anyone (in person or online) who hadnt heard of one without knowing of the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Why would Oxford by more recognised than Cambridge? Ive never met anyone (in person or online) who hadnt heard of one without knowing of the other.

During my time in England, I thought the same - surely it couldn't be that any individual knows of one and not of the other. However, I've worked in India, as well as in Japan, and this is not the case. Incidentally, nor in the US is this true. I spoke to someone teaching at university level here in Japan, he's an American, upon realising that as a graduate student, I was choosing between Oxford and Cambridge, his response was: " what is there to choose from, Oxford is obviously the best university in the world, right?". I had to actually explain to him that Oxford wasn't always the best, and that for any areas Cambridge was far superior, and that overall they were pretty much equal. Upon hearing this, he was quite literally shocked, he had always considered Cambridge as being a 'second rate' version of Oxford. It's much the same in India, and also in Japan. Of course, if you’re looking at highly academic circles, then they’ve carried out a good deal of research for themselves, and have therefore acquired a more realistic picture.

The Oxford fame has a lot to do with: the Rhodes Scholarship, the Oxford University Press, the fact that it's the oldest University in the English speaking world. It has less to do with any particularly meaningful measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    During my time in England, I thought the same - surely it couldn't be that any individual knows of one and not of the other. However, I've worked in India, as well as in Japan, and this is not the case. Incidentally, nor in the US is this true. I spoke to someone teaching at university level here in Japan, he's an American, upon realising that as a graduate student, I was choosing between Oxford and Cambridge, his response was: " what is there to choose from, Oxford is obviously the best university in the world, right?". I had to actually explain to him that Oxford wasn't always the best, and that for any areas Cambridge was far superior, and that overall they were pretty much equal. Upon hearing this, he was quite literally shocked, he had always considered Cambridge as being a 'second rate' version of Oxford. It's much the same in India, and also in Japan. Of course, if you’re looking at highly academic circles, then they’ve carried out a good deal of research for themselves, and have therefore acquired a more realistic picture.

The Oxford fame has a lot to do with: the Rhodes Scholarship, the Oxford University Press, the fact that it's the oldest University in the English speaking world. It has less to do with any particularly meaningful measure.
    Fair enough. I hadnt thought of the positive effects things like the Rhodes scholarship and the university press would have on its reputation.

(Original post by J.S.)
    Oxford is a hell of a lot more recognised throughout the world than Cambridge.
    Bloody hell JS, what crap are they feeding you over there in chinkyland? Even by your whacko standards what you wrote is non-starter.

(Original post by seana)
    why not warwick??
    The words "overhyped 1960s poly" come to mind.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.