Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Top 10 UK universities most recognized internationally watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solis Invictus)
    The words "overhyped 1960s poly" come to mind.
    lol, is this Gnostic Incidentally, how are your plans for the LSE going?

(Original post by J.S.)
    Normally I would censor the post he made....unfortunately I agree with it so that won't be happening!!! j/k

ReputationRep:
    Top 10 For Recognition:

1.) Oxford
    2.) Cambridge
    3.) TVU
    4.) Imperial College/LSE
    5.) Warwick
    6.) York
    7.) Bath
    8.) Durham
    9.) Nottingham

(Original post by J.S.)
    To quote FU, “you might very well think that, I could not possibly comment” (House of cards trilogy finally to be released on DVD on 12th July).

As for my plans, they’re not too bad - I paid the Economist bookshop a little visit last Saturday (full of ghastly leftie latino males hovering around the politics section) whilst on my way to the Donmar (to see Ian McDiamid’s brilliant performance of Pirandello's Henry IV) and I grabbed some philosophy of science and logic books. I do need to expand my collection of Popper’s works though (I find Popper to be rather mediocre but since he’s the big ***** of LSE Philosophy I need to spend more time on him).

ReputationRep:
    Some people didnt mention Warwick, slightly over 25% of new entrants each year are international students, how do you account for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwarwick)
    Some people didnt mention Warwick, slightly over 25% of new entrants each year are international students, how do you account for that?
    Warwick is overhyped both in the UK and internationally? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is an excellent university but too young to have developed the prestige and reputation of the G5.

(Original post by mg84)
    Warwick is overhyped both in the UK and internationally? :rolleyes:
    Warwick is not overhyped internationally precisely because it is unknown outside the cliffs of Dover.

Warwick is a distinguished university only in the minds of A-level and some undergraduate students.

It may very well be excellent for teaching, but it is not distinguished. Come back in 60 years and then we can start talking about distinction.

I’m sure Mr Mohammad Khan from Aghantisan had never heard of Luton before he came onto our shores but that’s where he ended up.

ReputationRep:
    It may very well be excellent for teaching, but it is not distinguished. Come back in 60 years and then we can start talking about distinction.
    Indeed. Warwick hasnt been in existence long enough to produce truly distinguishing alumni.

(Original post by an Siarach)
    Indeed. Warwick hasnt been in existence long enough to produce truly distinguishing alumni.
    Timmy Mallet isn't distinguished?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is an excellent University. In terms of recognition, it is very well known in Europe, and Asia. It hasn't gained any prominence in North America unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I’m sure Mr Mohammad Khan from Aghantisan had never heard of Luton before he came onto our shores but that’s where he ended up.
    Citing one individual won't suffice I'm afraid. Also the 25% statistic is not a fluke.

Based on that figure in 4 years 3 years time, the number of international students across the entire unversity would be 25% also. <-----Hopefully you now see what an absurd statistic that claim actually is :rolleyes: I suggest that if people insist on using statistics, they should actually bother to use REAL ones instead of inventing them. Based on quick search I'v found that the stat you quoted was out bylmost a factor of two!!! :eek: If you look at the unoffical guides site (reasonably sound source) the percentage is more like 16%. If PQ is kicking about I'm sure she could point us towards the latest figures.

Warwick is an excellent University. In terms of recognition, it is very well known in Europe, and Asia. It hasn't gained any prominence in North America unfortunately.
    Are you by chance going to Warwick?!? :confused:

*******s.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that it was evident that the statistic was based on the latest entrants. Rather than simply claiming I'm wrong, could you please quote your source. Also refrain from suggesting that I created those statistics, unless you are actually trying to offend me, which I doubt you are since we are having a conversation not a verbal fight. Btw are you familiar with hypocrisy;

'they should actually bother to use REAL ones instead of inventing them. '

+

'Based on quick search I'v found that the stat you quoted was out bylmost a factor of two!!!' [ is that what you call a real statistic which should have percentage firstly since a factor of two could be interpreted as - or +, also you didnt even mention your source which automatically cancels your claim, at least I wasn't trying to claim to have real statistics, and teach others how to utilize statistics which you seem to have failed at].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Are you by chance going to Warwick?!? :confused:
    I'm not certain actually, I just chose one of the unis I applied to for my name. That is my honest opinion I would defend Nottingham with the same zeal despite the fact that I dislike it, and didn't apply to it. Also Solis thank you for you insightful comment.

Citing one individual won't suffice I'm afraid. Also the 25% statistic is not a fluke.
    Ok, I’ll cite 100,000 – those 100,000 criminals who claimed asylum in this country last year probably never heard of Leeds, Newcastle etc before they set their legs on our decaying land but

As for the 25% figure, that is easily explained and thus dismissed – when Mr Yong, Ms Dallas, or Mr Bongo Bongo apply to the UK to study they’re thinking of Oxbridge, LSE, etc. But they can apply to as many as 6 places, and so they come into contact with British students (such as on this internet site) and ask, “hey! I’m from looserville looserland, what’s a good college to study? Thanks!!!!” and the average sheep on UKL will mutter, “hey! Warwick, Bath, and York are swell – they’re the next best thing after Oxbridge, ignore LoSER – Warwick is going places, it’s very well known and respected in Luxembourg, Bulgaria, and Niger – it's all the rage!”

Hence why they apply to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry pencil queen I couldn't find the post which I got that *false* statistic from, but while searching I found this post by you:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t40043-2.html

Which was quite interesting, but I think it helps me prove my point about Warwick being known in Europe, and Asia but not in North America . But I may be wrong about that as well.

Solis, I haven't seen any such threads, btw which Uni do you go to?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.