Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Top 10 UK universities most recognized internationally watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solis Invictus)
    Hence why they apply to Warwick.
    No chance of a reasoned argument from you?
    Warwick market themselves abroad and so have a certain recognition factor abroad. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Warwick is reputed to be better than other universities abroad. Arguably, Warwick is seen as fairly international, and so a safe bet for international students. But (I think) if you asked those international students who applied there if they thought Warwick was better than, say, York or Nottingham, I think they wouldn't be able to tell.

Incidentally, in Leicester Square above to the right of Burger King is, I seem to recall, a “London School of English” recall. I’m pretty certain that all their students are foreigners. Does that logically mean, therefore, that this school is “internationally known” just because 100% of its student population is non-UK?

I find you and your claims to be most illogical.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you didn't give a good example, you were reffering to a 'school of english' vis a vis a University with various courses.

(Original post by d750)
    No chance of a reasoned argument from you?
    Warwick market themselves abroad and so have a certain recognition factor abroad. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Warwick is reputed to be better than other universities abroad. Arguably, Warwick is seen as fairly international, and so a safe bet for international students. But (I think) if you asked those international students who applied there if they thought Warwick was better than, say, York or Nottingham, I think they wouldn't be able to tell.
    Warwick is this, Warwick is that, bla bla bla

Listen: I say Warwick is overhyped. If that judgement is good enough for me, then it’s good enough for the rest of mankind.

ReputationRep:
    Does that logically mean, therefore, that this school is “internationally known” just because 100% of its student population is non-UK?
    Well, yes it does. That type of school tend to recruit students from abroad rather than foreign students already over here, so the school is internationally known. That seems entirely logical.

(Original post by Gwarwick)
    I'm afraid you didn't give a good example, you were reffering to a 'school of english' vis a vis a University with various courses.
    So if the London School of English unveiled a BA degree programme it would then be internationally famous? And Eton isn’t internationally famous because it doesn’t offer the LLB?

Cookoo.

ReputationRep:

Listen: I say Warwick is overhyped. If that judgement is good enough for me, then it’s good enough for the rest of mankind.
    "Judgement" doesn't quite represent your mental processes.

ReputationRep:

Haha, you could told me that, I wouldn't have argued with you despite the fact I disagree your entitled to your opinion but you should probably let the whole international thing rest. What I do have to disagree with is;

'If that judgement is good enough for me, then it’s good enough for the rest of mankind.'

You almost sound as narcissistic as I do . Btw you still haven't told me which university you go to/plan to go to, and why you dislike warwick so much. I'm just interested as to where all of this is coming, I'm not going to dispute what you say I just want to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Solis, I haven't seen any such threads, btw which Uni do you go to?
    LSE isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    So if the London School of English unveiled a BA degree programme it would then be internationally famous? And Eton isn’t internationally famous because it doesn’t offer the LLB?

Cookoo.
    Now you are just speculating, IFS arent useful. You already sayed that you think Warwick is overhyped just leave it at that.

(Original post by d750)
    Well, yes it does. That type of school tend to recruit students from abroad rather than foreign students already over here, so the school is internationally known. That seems entirely logical.
    How does it logically follow that if a university has a high proportion of non-UK students that it is internationally famous?

So if I opened the School of Gnostic tomorrow and got 2 people from the Republic of Mumbo Jumbo to join it then the School of Gnostic would be internationally famous?

Cookoo.

(Original post by d750)
    LSE isn't it?
    Give it three months and yes (unconditional offer).

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If he passes his exams
    Bird brain, see my last post above.

ReputationRep:
    How does it logically follow that if a university has a high proportion of non-UK students that it is internationally famous?

So if I opened the School of Gnostic tomorrow and got 2 people from the Republic of Mumbo Jumbo to join it then the School of Gnostic would be internationally famous?

Cookoo.
    You're changing your terms. You said internatioanlly known to begin with. The London School of English is obviously internationally known - their students have to come from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Give it three months and yes (unconditional offer).
    Congratulations.

ReputationRep:

Cookoo.
    Warwick has a little more than two people from a nation oustide of the EU, stop creating scenarios -_-. Your only hurting you argument, you stil haven't told me why you think Warwick is overhyped I even said I wouldn't dispute I'm just interested. Congrats on the LSE unconditional offer btw, is their some kind of hatred between the two unis, I though it was King's College LSE students despised.

Warwick has a little more than two people from a nation oustide of the EU, stop creating scenarios -_-. Your only hurting you argument, you stil haven't told me why you think Warwick is overhyped I even said I wouldn't dispute I'm just interested. Congrats on the LSE unconditional offer btw, is their some kind of hatred between the two unis, I though it was King's College LSE students despised.
    King's people despise UCL people, not LSE'ers.

As for why I think Warwick is overhyped, it's really only because it has yet to produce anyone of note, mainly because it's so young. And it's in Coventry. Even though it's called the University of Warwick. Everyone knows that its research and teaching is excellent - but it will take time for that to convert into distinction. Also, the City is not exactly Warwick-dominated.

And cheers for the congrats.

(Original post by d750)
    Congratulations.
    And congrats to you for being at Cambridge.

Isn't this a nice little mutual-appreciation society?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Solis Invictus a.k.a Gnostic,

does the KCL - UCL rivalry still exist?

(Original post by gangrene)
    Hey Solis Invictus a.k.a Gnostic,

does the KCL - UCL rivalry still exist?
    Of course. King's studs call UCL students "Godless scum". UCL are a little more hurtful in their reply.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.