The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Masonne
in a few senses it is tho...not that that means anything. hardly makes it the best uni in the university of london.

How can LSE be seen as the father of UOL? UCL and Kings were the first two colleges.
Reply 161
nan Siarich
How can LSE be seen as the father of UOL? UCL and Kings were the first two colleges.

re-read the posts you are referring to. i never claim lse is the daddy, i claim ucl is, in a sense the daddy of the uni of london.
Masonne
re-read the posts you are referring to. i never claim lse is the daddy, i claim ucl is, in a sense the daddy of the uni of london.

Oh yeah youre right, i did misread that. Sorry.
Reply 163
nan Siarich
Oh yeah youre right, i did misread that. Sorry.

no problem! :smile:
I think that this thread is a rather sad excuse for trading “future credentials”

Take my advice; I wouldn’t worry too much about the world wide reputation of the university you may be attending.
Once you attend your chosen institution you will be far more concerned with the location and social experiences that the university has to offer (unless you are a pure academic or socially inept) not, “I wonder if some guy in Timbuktu has heard of my university.”

I rejected an offer from one of the universities that is mentioned prominently in these posted lists simply because I would not have enjoyed my time there. This is definitely a decision I do not regret, regardless of whether it is more internationally recognized or not.
You will be spending 3-6 years, depending on the course that you study, at your chosen university. While employability is very important, I would suggest that being happy about the type of place and people you will study with is worthy of equal, if not more consideration.

After all, I know friends who have graduated and are beating Oxbridge candidates to top city jobs simply because they were seen as having more personality and were not totally academically orientated.
A name or reputation will only carry you so far but, the truth is that a more rounded education is the key to success in the workplace.
unclecraig
I think that this thread is a rather sad excuse for trading “future credentials”

Take my advice; I wouldn’t worry too much about the world wide reputation of the university you may be attending.
Once you attend your chosen institution you will be far more concerned with the location and social experiences that the university has to offer (unless you are a pure academic or socially inept) not, “I wonder if some guy in Timbuktu has heard of my university.”

I rejected an offer from one of the universities that is mentioned prominently in these posted lists simply because I would not have enjoyed my time there. This is definitely a decision I do not regret, regardless of whether it is more internationally recognized or not.
You will be spending 3-6 years, depending on the course that you study, at your chosen university. While employability is very important, I would suggest that being happy about the type of place and people you will study with is worthy of equal, if not more consideration.

After all, I know friends who have graduated and are beating Oxbridge candidates to top city jobs simply because they were seen as having more personality and were not totally academically orientated.
A name or reputation will only carry you so far but, the truth is that a more rounded education is the key to success in the workplace.

You know I absoloutly have to agree! Especialy the last part. If you have a great personality, a carisma about yourself and excellent social skills as well as a fairly good education from a fairly good university, you will most likely be more employable in the city than say some kid from Oxbridge that are smart but are boring unsociable people due to their 100% commitment to their education and nothing else! In fact I pitty such people (and thats an opinion, I ain't trying to start a discussion or fight!)
BEING AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT, i think i'm best suited to post on this thread:smile:

1. Cambridge...prestige + research
2. Oxford.... prestige
3. LSE.... all good grade students + many politicians come from there
4. Imperial... prestige
5. Manchester... cos of its football team! seriously!!!!
6. Liverpool... football team again!
7. Sheffield...xcellent union and usually top the Virgin Alternative guide. doing great progress in research too
8. Kings College...dunno y but it's popular in mauritius!
9. Edinburgh... best scottish univ
10. Leeds...it's just popular
Reply 167
btigershark
Nottingham university is definetly well known internationally, especialy in the United States and Australia. This is for many reasons. First of all it has many world class lecturers including the guy that cloned Dolly the sheep (he also graduated from there). Two kings from the far east have graduated from there and Nottingham has majour links with both America and Australias top universities such as Berkley, University of California and University of Sydney! It also has major research links with many other world known universities!!

I don't think it is particularly well known in the US, but it is very well known in the far-East, particularly in Malaysia (two former Kings, and the current deputy prime minister are alumni) and in China.
CalumanGael
The Rhodes scholarship is not exclusively for US citizens.

....AH! Ok, my logic got screwed up for a bit. I didn't check the specific rhodes site, I just took people's word about it when I spoke to them about Rhodes scholarship.

Cambridge is correctly *slightly* superior to Oxford academically although the difference is so slight as to be irrelevant.

No university has more nobel prizes than Cambridge. Where did you get the idea Chicago does?

Sorry, my bad. Re-checked the site. You're right. Cambridge has 80, Chicago has 75. Not more but good enough. Possibly Chicago has more in economics though.

I wouldnt quite class it as an academic powerhouse, historically its nowhere near Edinburgh+Glasgow.

Youre right there. Generally people in the UK are only aware of Harvard and perhaps Yale+Princeton, though obviously on this board youl find many more who have an in depth knowledge of US colleges.

Sorry about any misinformation I provided. It was 1-2am in the states when I typed this. I'll refrain from half-awake posts in the future. Currently suffering from a bad case of insomnia thanks to 2 part-time jobs. Haven't used the forum very often, don't know how to reply to individual statements in quote boxes correctly. Apologies if it annoyed anyone.
Reply 169
oxford
cambridge
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Kings

non of the others are worth it.... LSE has 52% foriegn students and UCL has 25%. Ox and cam are both just famous and kinds and imperial are known throughout academic circles.
Reply 170
In no particular order, those more recognised by people in Asia:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
York
Warwick
St.Andrews
Bristol
Durham (maybe)
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Manchester (it's all about Manchester United...)
what is the point arguing about the exact order of uni perceptions! as it differs person to person then there is no right answer! As long as you go to a decent uni i.e. top 20 in most tables and are clever anyway it doesnt matter where you go! You will earn the mega bucks anyway! But if you arent clever and just want the image of your uni to get u by, then u dont deserve to be rich anyway! And most likely never will be!
etomac
I ask many people before who are never interested in UK universities

I got these results

Oxford - Yes
Cambridge - Yes
LSE - I think I ve heard that somewhere before
Imperial - ? sounds familar
Others - ???

Some people said to me "Is Harvard in UK?"

Some people said to me "Isn't (The University of) Cambridge in London?"

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 173
vincent gallo
Well known amongst academics or just people generally?

I think that after Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and Imperial the most well known would probably be the universities located in major cities like Mancester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol and Glasgow. St Andrews may be more famous now as a result of Prince William studying there. Im not sure about UCL, perhaps people would just think of it as the 'University of London'. .

Bath, Nottingham, York and Warwick may have gained prestige in recent times but surely not enough to make them really famous overseas?

:confused: Which universities in England would you say have the highest number of international students?
bambino
:confused: Which universities in England would you say have the highest number of international students?

LSE
Reply 175
Imperial
Lse
Reply 177
LSE
Reply 178
i[COLOR="DarkOrange"] think edinburgh is the most recognised university and having great reputation in worldwide. :smile:
[QUOTE="lxdean"]i think edinburgh is the most recognised university and having great reputation in worldwide. :smile:

No, LSE.

Latest

Trending

Trending