The Student Room Group

Where does charity money go?

What happens? Charities raise billions every year and nothing happens. TV adverts want you to donate £3 per month. Why do none of these companies actually SHOW where the money goes and provide proof on how it helped people?

Even pictures or something would be enough. It just seems like the charity owner takes it or some countries, the government take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondluck
What happens? Charities raise billions every year and nothing happens. TV adverts want you to donate £3 per month. Why do none of these companies actually SHOW where the money goes and provide proof on how it helped people?

Even pictures or something would be enough. It just seems like the charity owner takes it or some countries, the government take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm probably a cynic, but I suspect a lot of the money goes on advertising.
Some of it does go on advertising. The big charities need to advertise in order to raise money and awareness. As much as people like to moan about charities spending money on advertising, those charities would be far less effective without it, particularly the bigger national ones.

I donate to a few conservation charities occasionally. They can show results. One of my charities is a woodland charity working in Scotland - they can show success with the sites they're planting or regenerating and whether it's working or not, and I get regular updates from them.
Reply 3
Original post by RFowler
Some of it does go on advertising. The big charities need to advertise in order to raise money and awareness. As much as people like to moan about charities spending money on advertising, those charities would be far less effective without it, particularly the bigger national ones.

I donate to a few conservation charities occasionally. They can show results. One of my charities is a woodland charity working in Scotland - they can show success with the sites they're planting or regenerating and whether it's working or not, and I get regular updates from them.

Hmm, that makes sense. But really, if billions are raised I'm sure only like 100million or less would be needed for worldwide advertising? There is money left over... and yet many countries are struggling to survive.

That's really good that they show you the impact. Sounds like a really honest and blessed charity :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Charities are essentially non-profit organisations. However, they are still an organisation therefore they still have to pay their costs e.g. wages/salaries, advertisement fees, rent & utility costs for their headquarters etc. - So, they're not able to distribute 100% of their revenues to those in need
who knows? who cares? charities do!
pROFIT
PARANOIA THE DESTROYA
Reply 7
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'm probably a cynic, but I suspect a lot of the money goes on advertising.

I used to work on behalf of Save the children and 11% on the money raised went on advertising for that specific charity
charities are non profit apparently, but all the ceo's and the big chiefs working for charities all take out a nice 200-300k salary
Reply 9
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
charities are non profit apparently, but all the ceo's and the big chiefs working for charities all take out a nice 200-300k salary

it's just that some people gossip about these charity leaders who take first class flights and live in 5* hotels using charity money :/ obviously not all charities are like this but some in london are like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I heard when you donate £1, 90p goes on "admin fees"..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some charities use agencies such as wesser where the guy collecting for the charity is on commission (and he will say anything he can to get you to setup a direct debit with his agency so he can get his cut), and the agency takes a significant amount of the donation.

Usual tactics/lies include:
1) "you can only donate to the charity by setting up a direct debit with me right now, otherwise the charity gets nothing. No, it's impossible to donate online. We have special collecting days and today is one of them."
2) "helping x people is important right? You want to help them right? great! what is your bank account number?"
3) pretending to work for the charity instead of the agency
(edited 8 years ago)
goes on armies of graduates who stop you in the street on your way to greggs for a sausage roll.
Original post by Bill_Gates
goes on armies of graduates who stop you in the street on your way to greggs for a sausage roll.

Bill, surely you are aware of the large improvements in various metrics of poverty experienced over the past few decades, following philanthropic intervention?
Original post by minor bun engine
Bill, surely you are aware of the large improvements in various metrics of poverty experienced over the past few decades, following philanthropic intervention?

yes, to be honest i see the most hope for mobile banking where individuals in prosperous countries are able to give direct payments. Mobiles are becoming cheaper and cheaper especially ones hooked up with useful apps. It's going to be a game changer.
You can view this information online, I think. Charities such as RNIB will also tell what your money will do, if you ask them.
Original post by OU Student
You can view this information online, I think. Charities such as RNIB will also tell what your money will do, if you ask them.

thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest