The Student Room Group

Is Maths, Furthur Maths and Physics acceptable Combo to get onto a University Course?

Hi there. I am going to redo my A levels via self teaching and apply to go to university in 2 years as a mature student. I am planning on doing Maths, Physics and Further Maths as my three subjects however I am finding it unclear wether Further Maths will count as its own subject and its own grade or just an add-on to the A level maths course?

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
That's one of the best combos possible. Don't worry about it.
For courses like maths, physics, engineering, nat sci, its clearly perfect. Further maths will not only count as its own subject, due to the difficulty of it, it could be argued to be your most important A level.
Reply 3
Ok wicked, thanks for your help :smile:
That's not true^. There are a lot of unis that reject that combination due to lack of variety. It's best to check with the admissions team via email or open day, or look on the website. Each department is different so there's no one answer, but a general rule is that at the top of the tables, they won't accept that
Reply 5
Original post by a96clark
That's not true^. There are a lot of unis that reject that combination due to lack of variety. It's best to check with the admissions team via email or open day, or look on the website. Each department is different so there's no one answer, but a general rule is that at the top of the tables, they won't accept that

If he's doing these 3 subjects, he obviously wants to do either maths/physics/engineering. I did the same combo and got all my offers.
Reply 6

Cambridge are v happy with M&FM & Physics for Engineering.

this is usually non top universities, and ONLY when talking about subjects like biology, humanities, english and anything that doesn't have to do with maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending