Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To what extent is British health care free? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In the Warwick prospectus it says that in the UK you'll get free medical treatment under the National Health Service if you are a foreign student staying for longer than 6 months. I was wondering just how free medical treatment really is and what medical treatment is meant.

For instance in Norway health care is "free" but you still have to pay administration costs if you have to go to the hospital.

I'm allergic to pollen, is pollen medicine subsidised? Could anyone provide me with a web site of a British pharmacy where I could check prices?

In Norway you can get birth control for free from your doctor. How is this in Britain?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    free for full time students under 18

ReputationRep:
    I think your fees as an international student cover the NHS so I think you get full NHS treatment which means its basicaly free. You will have to pay for medication/dentists/opticians though.

ReputationRep:
    you still have to pay for persctiptions unless you're an OAP or a full time student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    you still have to pay for persctiptions unless you're an OAP or a full time student
    or over 65

ReputationRep:
    Its different for full time international students though, I think they have to pay for perspecriptions but have the usual free access to GPs, operations etc, A&E.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    or over 65
    Over 65 is an OAP (old age pensioner)

ReputationRep:
    *thinks back to boots days*

under 16
    16,17,18 and in full tiem education
    over 60
    was prescribed free of charge contraceptives (this answers one of your questions)
    has a medical exemption certificate
    has a maternity certificate
    has a HC2 certificate

As a full time student you DO NOT automatically get free prescriptions. If you have savings less than £8000 and some other conditions you can apply for a HC2 certificate that means free prescriptions and eye tests and vouchers towards glasses.

As for pollen - if you have an HC2 certificate you may as well get them on prescription from the doctor. If they are OTC (over the counter) drugs then you might well save money buy buying them yourself (fixed prescription charge is currently £6.20 for those who do not qualify for free prescriptions).

ReputationRep:
    *thinks even harder* a 30 pack one-a-day of something like Loratadine is about £6-8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its different for full time international students though, I think they have to pay for perspecriptions but have the usual free access to GPs, operations etc, A&E.
    lol yeah maybe....dont think they'll leave them to die

ReputationRep:
    I find the hayfever medicines that I take are cheaper to buy over the counter than on prescription. Some things, like Piriton, might not be though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Over 65 is an OAP (old age pensioner)
    yeah i forgot about that hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I find the hayfever medicines that I take are cheaper to buy over the counter than on prescription. Some things, like Piriton, might not be though.
    My boots training is holding up so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    yeah some things are cheaper, but the thing is that persciption stuff you cant get over the counter...(can be a bit gay)

ReputationRep:
    yeah some things are cheaper, but the thing is that persciption stuff you cant get over the counter...(can be a bit gay)
    Only some. Some are [POM] (prescription only medicine) whereas others are just [P] (pharmacy). Although, there are limited quantities of things so after a certain point a [P] becomes a [POM].

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.