The Student Room Group

Magic Circle

Hi everyone. I’d like to ask a question about the Magic Circle. I know it's very difficult to get a training contract from one of those law firms and I guess it’s even more difficult if you are from overseas, so I would like to ask if you think I'm qualified for a training contract.

I am studying law in Spain at the University Pompeu Fabra (it's one of the best universities in Spain) and I just finished my third year (the course is 4 years here). For now I have a first (93%) and I am pretty sure I’m going to graduate at the top of my class. I’ve done some work experience at some law firms (four months at Clifford Chance Barcelona and vacation scheme at Linklaters Madrid). I speak Spanish, Catalan, English and French. I don’t know if I should apply for a training contract or try for the LLM in Cambridge or BCL in Oxford first, because I know the probabilities of getting a contract are slim and I might have a better chance if I have a masters from Oxbridge
Thank you for your time. :smile:
Reply 1
Why do you need to do either one or the other? Applying for the training contract will not harm future prospects, so do it.

Apply for it, but also apply for the courses you want to do. If you get the contract, you can just not go to uni...

~Matt
As above try for both.

For what it's worth, firms aren't too fussed about the BCL or LLM. It shows you're really good academically, but to get a place on it the odds are your undergrad grades already show that.
Reply 3
Original post by tper9
Hi everyone. I’d like to ask a question about the Magic Circle. I know it's very difficult to get a training contract from one of those law firms and I guess it’s even more difficult if you are from overseas, so I would like to ask if you think I'm qualified for a training contract.

I am studying law in Spain at the University Pompeu Fabra (it's one of the best universities in Spain) and I just finished my third year (the course is 4 years here). For now I have a first (93%) and I am pretty sure I’m going to graduate at the top of my class. I’ve done some work experience at some law firms (four months at Clifford Chance Barcelona and vacation scheme at Linklaters Madrid). I speak Spanish, Catalan, English and French. I don’t know if I should apply for a training contract or try for the LLM in Cambridge or BCL in Oxford first, because I know the probabilities of getting a contract are slim and I might have a better chance if I have a masters from Oxbridge
Thank you for your time. :smile:

Hi tper9! I hope you are still active, I am looking forward applying to pompeu fabra university to study economics, i need some advices with my application procedures, I'll be glad if you have some little time for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending