Calculating anaesthetic - will they weigh me on the day?

Watch
Rhi93
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm getting keyhole surgery in a couple of weeks but by then it will have been 6 weeks since my pre-operative assessment. During that I was weighed (fully dressed and after having eaten breakfast) and measured and asked about my medical history. Since then I've lost about 3kg through healthy eating and regular exercise.

I'm presuming they weigh and measure you so that they can calculate how much anaesthetic they'll need to knock you out but will this weight difference have any effect? Will they weigh me on the day of surgery or should I mention it to them? Advice would be appreciated
Hayley Williams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rhi93)
So I'm getting keyhole surgery in a couple of weeks but by then it will have been 6 weeks since my pre-operative assessment. During that I was weighed (fully dressed and after having eaten breakfast) and measured and asked about my medical history. Since then I've lost about 3kg through healthy eating and regular exercise.

I'm presuming they weigh and measure you so that they can calculate how much anaesthetic they'll need to knock you out but will this weight difference have any effect? Will they weigh me on the day of surgery or should I mention it to them? Advice would be appreciated
My mum got surgery last week and they weighed her. If your worried just mention it when your talking to your nurse.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rhi93)

They probably will, but that amount of weight loss wouldn't make a difference to an anaesthetic anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (13)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads