The Student Room Group

Prestige rankings of Universities

Before the hate comes in for this thread, I know that prestige is wholly subjective and relative but, in general, how would you rank the top UK universities in terms of prestige?

My ranking would be:

Group 1
Oxbridge

Group 2
St Andrews, Durham, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Warwick

Group 3
Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Kings, Nottingham

Group 4
Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Southampton

Group 5
Cardiff, Queen Mary, Liverpool, QUB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dylank96
Before the hate comes in for this thread, I know that prestige is wholly subjective and relative but, in general, how would you rank the top UK universities in terms of prestige?

My ranking would be:

Group 1
Oxbridge

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5

Same boring thread with no substance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

And already the insults start, I knew it.

Frankly, your reply is boring. I'm interested in learning people's views on the rankings of UK universities regarding their prestige and how they would agree and disagree with my own. The title and content make the point of the thread very obvious and you are under no obligation to contribute if you find it boring but don't be rude.

Frankly, your reply is boring. I'm interested in learning people's views on the rankings of UK universities regarding their prestige and how they would agree and disagree with my own. The title and content make the point of the thread very obvious and you are under no obligation to contribute if you find it boring but don't be rude.

It's boring because if you run a quick Google search a thread like this is made several times a week. No need to take it personally mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

However, your listing roughly makes sense. It is subject dependant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It's boring because if you run a quick Google search a thread like this is made several times a week. No need to take it personally mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I really am interested in fresh views in light of the recent publication of the new league tables and to see people's views in relation to my own and, in that, I think that I'm justified in starting a new thread.

I noticed that you're from Scotland and going to university in England, me too! Whereabouts are you from?

My ranking would be:

Group 1
Oxbridge

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5

As other posters have indicated, this is asked so often it's just boring now and indeed the responses you will get are so subjective as to be inconsequential.

A very small reply to the question is that it also depends on subject as well as general uni prestige. For Law, for example, KCL and Nottingham are a lot higher than Warwick.
Reply 7
Original post by callum_law
As other posters have indicated, this is asked so often it's just boring now and indeed the responses you will get are so subjective as to be inconsequential.

A very small reply to the question is that it also depends on subject as well as general uni prestige. For Law, for example, KCL and Nottingham are a lot higher than Warwick.

Inconsequential might be a bit far but, nevertheless, people's views and how they justified those views are interesting to me.

I know it's subject dependant but I'm referring to general university prestige.
Inconsequential might be a bit far but, nevertheless, people's views and how they justified those views are interesting to me.

Interesting to you, but of no consequence nonetheless.

What uni are you going to and what you going to study?
Well I really am interested in fresh views in light of the recent publication of the new league tables and to see people's views in relation to my own and, in that, I think that I'm justified in starting a new thread.

I noticed that you're from Scotland and going to university in England, me too! Whereabouts are you from?

I live in Aberdeen but I'm from the sum of all the countries I've lived in plus all of my ethnic backgrounds.

You? What uni are you off to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would put Sheffield down to 5, Southampton up to 3 and LSE up to 1.
Reply 12
I live in Aberdeen but I'm from the sum of all the countries I've lived in plus all of my ethnic backgrounds.

You? What uni are you off to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm off to York and from Glasgow, not terribly international. :tongue:
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

how about you make one?
Reply 14
Original post by callum_law
What uni are you going to and what you going to study?

Going to York for music. What about yourself? A former schoolmate of mine is actually doing law at Kings and, apparently, it's one of the best for it.
Reply 15

My ranking would be:

Group 1
Oxbridge

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5

It is not a bad attempt ....
Look at any sensible international list
cross out all the non UK Universities.
What you got left is the UK universities in order of prestige ...
I'm off to York and from Glasgow, not terribly international. :tongue:

Awesome! It's so rare to see a Scot going down south - how come you chose York?
Reply 17
Awesome! It's so rare to see a Scot going down south - how come you chose York?

I know, it seems to be surprising when people move to a different city for university in Scotland never mind England!

I really love the city, the course there is exactly what I'm looking for and the department is highly regarded for my subject as well as the university as a whole. My other choices were St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh but York's a winner for me.

The only problem is that I have all summer to kill now... You're going to Nottingham for computing?
I know, it seems to be surprising when people move to a different city for university in Scotland never mind England!

I really love the city, the course there is exactly what I'm looking for and the department is highly regarded for my subject as well as the university as a whole. My other choices were St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh but York's a winner for me.

The only problem is that I have all summer to kill now... You're going to Nottingham for computing?

Yeah, I think only like 5% of Scots choose to go down south for uni.

Ah, those are great reasons! I hope you enjoy it - if you meet your offer.

Yeah, Computer Science (quite different and more Mathsy than standard computing). I applied to Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Reading (switched from Heriot Watt) and Glasgow. Nottingham was the best uni that gave me an offer and I applied because the campus is lovely!

Got rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow because my teachers messed up my predictions. I emailed all the other unis about it before they looked at my application and managed to get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yeah, I think only like 5% of Scots choose to go down south for uni.

Ah, those are great reasons! I hope you enjoy it - if you meet your offer.

Yeah, Computer Science (quite different and more Mathsy than standard computing). I applied to Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Reading (switched from Heriot Watt) and Glasgow. Nottingham was the best uni that gave me an offer and I applied because the campus is lovely!

Got rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow because my teachers messed up my predictions. I emailed all the other unis about it before they looked at my application and managed to get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be surprised if it even is 5%. My school was really academic and even then there were't a lot of people going to English universities.

Congratulations on getting an offer from Nottingham! That's probably the best university you applied for anyway, other than Edinburgh, so you must be happy with that.

Quick Reply

Latest