Few questions about York uni (Applying for 2016)

Watch
ozzie2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, got a few questions about the uni and thought I'd ask here as some may know.

1. Is there much to do on the uni campus itself? I believe it doesn't have a student union and there didn't seem to be a lot of bars,restaurants etc some campus unis have when I went the open day. Did I just not see them?
2. How far would the walk be from the accommodation from the outer parts of the uni like constantine and the others to the centre part. I am hoping to apply for economics and was wondering if it would be impracticable to apply to the accommodation there if it is too far.
3. What are the college stereotypes? I know you shouldn't base things on stereotyping but I would like to know out of curiosity and inquire about how accurate they are?

Thanks for reading my questions, if they don't make sense (I am not the greatest at English structure etc) feel free to ask
bloovanmeer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ozzie2)
Hey, got a few questions about the uni and thought I'd ask here as some may know.

1. Is there much to do on the uni campus itself? I believe it doesn't have a student union and there didn't seem to be a lot of bars,restaurants etc some campus unis have when I went the open day. Did I just not see them?
2. How far would the walk be from the accommodation from the outer parts of the uni like constantine and the others to the centre part. I am hoping to apply for economics and was wondering if it would be impracticable to apply to the accommodation there if it is too far.
3. What are the college stereotypes? I know you shouldn't base things on stereotyping but I would like to know out of curiosity and inquire about how accurate they are?

Thanks for reading my questions, if they don't make sense (I am not the greatest at English structure etc) feel free to ask
Hey! I'm about to redo my first year at York after switching courses and lived in Constantine.

1. There is loads to do on campus, there are 5 campus bars plus a few cafés and also dining halls for those students with catered accommodation - anyone can eat there if you pay in one way or another. There are also loads of events on throughout the year - concerts, plays, socials and Derwent puts on a couple of big nights a year that everyone can go to.

2. I lived in Constantine and had two flatmates doing Economics and, as far as I know, they didn't really mind the trek! It's 10 minutes max by bus from one campus to another and there are bus stops outside all of the colleges on the East campus (the newer part of York). It is certainly not as convenient as living in the college where your department is housed but you get really nice accommodation, so it depends what your priorities are.

3. Derwent: party college, James: sporty college, Alcuin: quiet college, Vanbrugh: music college, Halifax: clearing & insurance students, Wentworth: all postgrads, Goodricke: seems to be the least popular Hes East college, Langwith: not sure what the stereotype is but everyone seems happy to be there, Constantine: super nice accommodation but also new and a bit isolated so no one really knows yet what the stereotype is.
Take ALL of these with a grain of salt, though - Derwent is really sporty as well, Vanbrugh is pretty social, everyone says Alcuin is quiet because it's set back from the main campus and has a lot of science students but it's not as bad as people claim. Just pick whichever college appeals to you most, regardless of stereotype, and don't let any of it put you off picking a college.
bananaminion
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah there's loads to do - Hes East has the Glasshouse, really handy for Langwith as well as Constantine and Goodricke and there are a few other bars/restaurants (mainly V bar and D bar, also the Lounge and Courtyard) - all the colleges have common rooms as well, and Langwith is finally getting their's next year!

My course was all over Hes West and I lived in Langwith, I would highly recommend that - my housemates with their course on Hes East never went to Hes West and vice versa, so it's nice to get the full experience of both campuses. It's walkable in about 20 minutes, but the buses are free and very regular so it's no trouble at all getting buses - I used to be able to get the bus at xx:57 and arrive on time for my lecture at xx:05!3.

College stereotypes, tricky one.Don't base your whole choice on stereotypes and don't be too upset if you don't get what you want - you'll most likely be happy wherever. Hes East as a whole is seen as quiet/ dead - this is only really because there's no departments mingled up with accommodation so you don't get people walking through on their way to lectures etc.
Goodricke: Last year their college spirit was awful, my friends there hated that aspect and openly said they were jealous of Langwith. Accommodation is nice though, however it is pretty quiet in general.
Constantine: dead. It's smaller than the other colleges as it's so new so hasn't had a chance to develop any kind of spirit, the accommodation is really nice though and it's very pretty. Plus you have Usman (you'll find out soon enough).
Langwith: Amazing. I'm in Langwith, but I can honestly say that it is the best college. The only ones to rival us are James and Derwent - and Derwent literally has asbestos. We have such an amazing college spirit, everyone knows each other and gets involved and it's really fun. 10/10 would bang.
Derwent: have to concede that Derwenters love it, and it's good at sport and the party college - however, accomodation is ****e, it's the ugliest thing ever. And everyone hates Derwent.
James: the sporty college, undeniably - right next to the sports centre (one of them). Great college spirit as well, decent accommodation as far as I know.
Vanbrugh: it's very spread out, so not sure about the college spirit, it's right in the middle of everything though.
Alcuin: definitely the quiet one, less going-out etc, however people still obviously do go out and are social, it's university. People have a great time there but it is one for the more work-dedicated ones - the medics are there I think too.
Halifax: sporty, also. 25% of freshers. Bit out of the way but everyone seems to love it there, it's very social but it's so big you only really know people in your houses and around you.

On topic of accomodation, Langwith and Constantine have double beds (small double for Langwith) and don't worry about shared bathrooms, I never had to wait for a shower and it's quite fun to have that in common, means everyone's more open
ozzie2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by bloovanmeer)
x
(Original post by bananaminion)
x
Hey guys, thanks for the info it was pretty useful and to be honest I like a good walk and as the buses are regular I guess being in the farther out colleges aren't as bad.
When I was looking at Vanbrugh the accommodation I was looking at was a bit far out from the uni, and I believe it may have been James college (may have been another one) has to share a kitchen with 16 other people, which I think is a bit too much. And is Derwent really dirty or something? I guess I will have to avoid that one :P
Satchelo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also worth pointing out the bus between the two campuses is free

Derwent is the best college by far, I recommend it.

Halifax, we can all agree on, is pretty dire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads