The Student Room Group

A 2.2 degree - Is it end of the world?

I have just been awarded a 2.2 degree in combined honours Forensic Science and Biology.

When I read the classification my stomach dropped, all i've ever heard is a 2.2 not being worth the paper it's written on. I did do fairly well in 3 units and did do well in my research project (2.1) too. Just one particularly difficult exam let me down that was worth 70% of a unit.

I'm not going to sugar coat it and say I worked really hard, in my final year I didn't do as well as I was capable of. Everyone is saying I should be proud of myself as just before my final year began my dad passed away in September last year. I'm reluctant to blame my classification on this event and the aftermath of it but I realise now I should of sought help with my studies and with myself. At the time, trying my best at uni just didn't seem as important.

Any advice on my prospects with a 2.2 degree? Anyone else been in a similar situation?
Original post by Hayli
I have just been awarded a 2.2 degree in combined honours Forensic Science and Biology.

When I read the classification my stomach dropped, all i've ever heard is a 2.2 not being worth the paper it's written on. I did do fairly well in 3 units and did do well in my research project (2.1) too. Just one particularly difficult exam let me down that was worth 70% of a unit.

I'm not going to sugar coat it and say I worked really hard, in my final year I didn't do as well as I was capable of. Everyone is saying I should be proud of myself as just before my final year began my dad passed away in September last year. I'm reluctant to blame my classification on this event and the aftermath of it but I realise now I should of sought help with my studies and with myself. At the time, trying my best at uni just didn't seem as important.

Any advice on my prospects with a 2.2 degree? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I did a fair bit of reading into this for my degree course (psych) as I felt I was going to get a 2.2.

It seems to be that a 2.2 simply does the job. It will tick the degree box some of the time, and when it does, can be mitigated with work experience, personal attributes, extra-curricular etc. The only problem I saw was that you may be unable to apply to some posts, as they require a 2.1 or above. In the eyes of employers, it may be mitigated by an MSc also, but probably not the right reason to do one - and still doesn't fix the 2.1 tickbox problem in applications.

Have a look at prospective jobs or courses and see what you require - you may find a 2.2 and a good general application is all you require.
Original post by Hayli

You should be proud that you achieved that considering your personal circumstances near your final year. I know plenty of people who are successful in their chosen careers with a 2.2 or with no degrees at all. Of course it depends on the next step that you want to go for, but its not the end of the world. Good luck =)
Depends on what uni you got the 2.2 from and what you want to do with your degree. What do you want to do with your degree? If you want to go into further study you'll be fine. There'll be other opportunities to prove yourself.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Depends on what uni you got the 2.2 from and what you want to do with your degree. What do you want to do with your degree? If you want to go into further study you'll be fine. There'll be other opportunities to prove yourself.

This thread is from 7 years ago

Latest

Trending

Trending