The Student Room Group

Veterinary biosciences

Hi everyoneee

I was thinking of doing Veterinary Biosciences as my back-up course.

If somebody could pls find a link listing the uni's that do veterinary biosciences I'd be EXTREMELY thankful!!!

Thank you! & good luck with results x
Reply 1
Also..if anyone can give any advice on a veterinary biosciences course in general, and if it is a good move to complete a veterinary biosciences course then apply for vet med after and how easy/hard it is to do this..

thank you again!!!
Original post by annie79
I was thinking of doing Veterinary Biosciences as my back-up course. Is there a link listing the uni's that do veterinary biosciences ?

Try whatuni.com

Enter a subject and you can filter the results with your likely predicted grades. Also worth searching on words like 'animal' or 'zoology' for joint subject courses.
Reply 3
Hi, I don't have a lot of experience in this area nor do I have the list you are looking for, but I do know that Glasgow Uni offers veterinary biosciences and Edinburgh do an animal science degree. In terms of completing this degree and applying to vet med as a post-grad degree, I think one of the main things to consider are the fees, and the funding out there for second degrees, as the finances are a major issue and not feasible for everyone. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, best bet for advice is to call or email admissions and get info direct from them.
Bristol does a joint degree in Vet Nursing and Biovet Sciences ; http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2016/vet-nursing-biovet-science/bsc-vet-nursing/
Great if you want a clinical edge to your degree, and two potential career areas.
Reply 5
Thank you everyone for the responses!

I forgot that I can just type in the uni course I want on the UCAS website to get a list of uni's. Vet biosciences is my 5th uni option for my back-up course, hopefully I will get into VetMed in my other 4 chosen uni's that I am going to apply to!

Thanks again, and good luck!
Reply 6
I shall be putting biovet as my fifth option. Surrey offer both
I did biovet at Lincoln university, it's a really good course there and well worth looking at. I got into vet med after completing my degree there, so it is well worth doing it if that's your last option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
I did biovet at Lincoln university, it's a really good course there and well worth looking at. I got into vet med after completing my degree there, so it is well worth doing it if that's your last option

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, is there a lot of content in the biovet course that isn't in the vetmed one?
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Out of interest, is there a lot of content in the biovet course that isn't in the vetmed one?

They are totally different degrees... Obviously there is a lot more content in the veterinary medicine degree compared to a biovet one because you become a vet at the end of one and not after the other. You do basic anatomy/parasitology etc in biovet, but nowhere near the level taught at vet school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In a veterinary bioscience degree are there practicals with animals?
Original post by sophielophie
In a veterinary bioscience degree are there practicals with animals?

Biovet science, yes. You get to do dissections throughout the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest