The Student Room Group

Summer A level revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Yellow636
I dropped maths from AS to A2,
I got 96% C1 but then 75% C2 and 69% M1. Therefore I got JUST an A.
I therefore dropped it, as I prefer getting the A at AS than a B at A2 :smile:.

oh yea defo having A at AS is better than B at A2. you see i messed up S1 and D1 got 74% and 63% or else i could of got an A*
Original post by humzzay
Would you class maths hard at alevel ?

I would not class it as hard, I save the term hard for Chemistry.

I think it takes a lot of work, but if you are willing to put it in, then you can definitely do well. I cannot speak for A2 though.

However, if you do not have at least a B at GCSE maths, then I would not take it.
Original post by HUBWD

Isn't core 1 just a* stuff with hard bits at the end, especially graphs. By the way, I know someone who is in my year 11 who did a level maths at year 9 because she got a* at gcse maths in year 8! So happy for her though. She's redoing the other unit in a level maths! She got a* in core 1.
Original post by HUBWD
oh yea defo having A at AS is better than B at A2. you see i messed up S1 and D1 got 74% and 63% or else i could of got an A*

What do you do now?

I have just applied to University and currently waiting for A2 results :wink:.
Reply 24
Original post by humzzay
Would you class maths hard at alevel ?
I would not class it as hard, I save the term hard for Chemistry.I think it takes a lot of work, but if you are willing to put it in, then you can definitely do well. I cannot speak for A2 though.However, if you do not have at least a B at GCSE maths, then I would not take it.
A2 is harder than than AS hands down, A2 has more applied maths compared to AS, C4 is tough but doable. AS is like advance GCSE.

ohhh Chemistry... has to be one of the hardest Alevels out there if not the hardest
Reply 25
Original post by carliecarliecarl
Isn't core 1 just a* stuff with hard bits at the end, especially graphs. By the way, I know someone who is in my year 11 who did a level maths at year 9 because she got a* at gcse maths in year 8! So happy for her though. She's redoing the other unit in a level maths! She got a* in core 1.

Yeah you're right C1 is just A* GCSE. Oh Wow she must be smart

What do you do now?
I have just applied to University and currently waiting for A2 results :wink:.

oh i see, what did you apply for? I'm Currently on a gap year, applied for dentistry last year but didn't get in.
Original post by HUBWD
Yeah you're right C1 is just A* GCSE. Oh Wow she must be smart

oh i see, what did you apply for? I'm Currently on a gap year, applied for dentistry last year but didn't get in.

I applied for Accounting and Finance :smile:

Firmed Lancaster and insured Keele.

Did you send your dentistry application in this year then?
I agree. Seriously, you do not need to prepare for AS levels through summer. If you got at least an A at GCSE maths, then you will already have the skills that you need before starting the course.Honestly, I do not remember what I did last month in class, let alone a year ago. Your school will make sure that you can progress from GCSE to AS, so do not worry.
I am not worried and my work philosophy is: don't trust teachers. It worked for yr 11 so I'm starting to put it into practice.
Original post by HUBWD
Or you could simply be a normal person and enjoy your summer holidays...
I'm not normal and I enjoy revision and maths.
OMG! I'm actually doing the same thing! Going to prepare with a levels (also with math) this summer! What I'll probably do this use Mathswatch. It has some new videos available for the new specification in a level maths. But you also could buy books (my teacher recommends books from Collins - we do EDEXCEL).
What new specification?
Yeah, you could but I just want to look sophisticated and by being early at revising and learning the spec, you will hopefully become confident by then ...
It's just knowing what's ahead of you isn't it? Being one step ahead of everyone else, like a chess player.
Original post by 04MR17
I am not worried and my work philosophy is: don't trust teachers. It worked for yr 11 so I'm starting to put it into practice.I'm not normal and I enjoy revision and maths.What new specification?It's just knowing what's ahead of you isn't it? Being one step ahead of everyone else, like a chess player.

Do what you want mate, No one cares if you spent all your life revising.

We are just telling you that the advantage you think you will be gaining, you will not be.

Yeah, you will be the best in your class when you get back to school. But everyone will quickly catch you up. Even if you learn the first few modules, you will only be repeating it when you start school again.

A good thing you could do, start an EPQ. You could get this done in the summer holidays, giving you a qualification that is deemed to be good. Its most likely a better use of your time :smile:
Isn't core 1 just A* stuff with hard bits at the end, especially graphs. By the way, I know someone who is in my year 11 who did a level maths at year 9 because she got A* at gcse maths in year 8! So happy for her though. She's redoing the other unit in a level maths! She got A* in core 1.
Wow! I did the Edexcel Level 3 Algebra Award this year as well which is basically G.C.S.E. stuff but harder which is also in A Level (AS and A2).
only on tsr

ffs enjoy your summer. You won't have any advantage, as level maths is piss easy. C1 is a joke
Yeah, Yellow and HUBWD, I hope you are right. I mean my parents just used to tell me to do maths during summer since year 8-11... Maybe they are too strict? :/
If you enjoy it go for it. I did an hours History yesterday on a topic we didn't do at GCSE and it was worth it. An hour a day max and give yourself a day off every three days. That's my routine, it's more to get a grips with some of the new specs in English and History than anything really.
You could do an EPQ, that would be a good use of your time :smile:
Ignore that people that think you should 'chill and enjoy the rest of your summer' -- if you find solace in being prepared for a difficult stage in education, good on you.

If you'd like, I could e-mail you some .pdf files of the EdExcel maths A-level textbooks. I made a very similar thread to this one a couple of days ago and I'm having a lot of fun self-teaching myself some of the new concepts, like differentiation and sequences using the '∑' notation. There's also a bit in the beginning of the book that provides a transition from GCSE to A-levels which I found somewhat useful. You're expected to understand the 3 forms of solving quadratics; factorizing, completing the square, using the quadratic equation, and also some basic algebraic and surd manipulation.

Anyways, if you'd like me to send you the files, PM me your e-mail address :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I am not worried and my work philosophy is: don't trust teachers. It worked for yr 11 so I'm starting to put it into practice.

Yeah, you can begin revising JUST do it bit by bit. You nee to relax as well sometimes. I nearly burned out when I was in year 10 for doing so much work!
Original post by 04MR17
I'm not normal and I enjoy revision and maths.

I <3 MATH too!

Original post by 04MR17
What new specification?

I think EDEXCEL is changing the spec next year. It is the same content but the exam questions might change. I am unsure on whether this applies to year 12 this year ...

Original post by 04MR17
Being one step ahead of everyone else, like a chess player.

Yeah, plan ahead just like me but as I said before do not overdo it!
Original post by 04MR17
If you enjoy it go for it. I did an hours History yesterday on a topic we didn't do at GCSE and it was worth it. An hour a day max and give yourself a day off every three days. That's my routine, it's more to get a grips with some of the new specs in English and History than anything really.

Yeah, probably planning ahead for the future is actually good. I agree on that.
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
differentiation and sequences using the '∑' notation. :smile:

Oh, I was trying to reverse the compound interest formula and my teacher told me that its a-level skill.
I think EDEXCEL is changing the spec next year. It is the same content but the exam questions might change. I am unsure on whether this applies to year 12 this year ...
No. The new A level maths spec is not due to be taught until 2017. The spec shouldn't change, there may be another issue of the same spec but the content won't change at all. As for other subjects, bedlam!
Original post by bittr n swt
only on tsr
ffs enjoy your summer. You won't have any advantage, as level maths is piss easy. C1 is a joke
I will enjoy it, I love maths.
Original post by HUBWD
Yeah you're right C1 is just A* GCSE. Oh Wow she must be smart.

I wish I was like her. Someone told me I could've done GCSE maths earlier (as I know I have more chances then to resit again and I have the ability at an early age) but I guess the school did not allow me to do it as they do not believe in me... I could've done a level maths by then ... :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending