The Student Room Group

Summer A level revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carliecarliecarl
Oh, I was trying to reverse the compound interest formula and my teacher told me that its a-level skill.

What does differentiation/sequences have to do with reversing the compound interest formula?
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Ignore that people that think you should 'chill and enjoy the rest of your summer' -- if you find solace in being prepared for a difficult stage in education, good on you.

If you'd like, I could e-mail you some .pdf files of the EdExcel maths A-level textbooks. I made a very similar thread to this one a couple of days ago and I'm having a lot of fun self-teaching myself some of the new concepts, like differentiation and sequences using the '∑' notation. There's also a bit in the beginning of the book that provides a transition from GCSE to A-levels which I found somewhat useful. You're expected to understand the 3 forms of solving quadratics; factorizing, completing the square, using the quadratic equation, and also some basic algebraic and surd manipulation.

Anyways, if you'd like me to send you the files, PM me your e-mail address :smile:

I wouldn't say ignore us, we are making a good point.

We have said numerous times to do whats best for them, and are just sharing our opinion. I thinks its good they want to do revision during the holiday, I just think they should not over do it, that is all :smile:
I wish I was like her. Someone told me I could've done GCSE maths earlier (as I know I have more chances then to resit again and I have the ability at an early age) but I guess the school did not allow me to do it as they do not believe in me... I could've done a level maths by then ... :colonhash:
Unis and employers are now frowning upon resits. There was a stage when students had a page long results just for the countless resits of G.C.S.E. English!
Reply 43
My sixth form gave us homework for summer !!!
Could someone advise me on my subject choices - I chose BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, MATHS and LAW and I hope to drop maths at AS but then I was thinking won't it be random if I have bio chem and law at A2 :/ I want to do law bc it seems doable and I think 4 facilitating subjects would be too much.
Also I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but something like working for the NHS.
Original post by Yellow636
I wouldn't say ignore us, we are making a good point.

We have said numerous times to do whats best for them, and are just sharing our opinion. I thinks its good they want to do revision during the holiday, I just think they should not over do it, that is all :smile:

Fair enough, but I don't understand why people would actively discourage preparation in the 'Study Help' part of the forum. The user's clearly expressed a desire, which is to be 'one step ahead', and they want us to help them find a means to do so. By suggesting that the user simply stops their intention in order to 'enjoy their summer' seems a bit counter-intuitive.

It's like me asking "which Cambridge college to apply to", and everyone responding "studies show that university isn't worth it".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Unis and employers are now frowning upon resits. There was a stage when students had a page long results just for the countless resits of G.C.S.E. English!

Oh, no! At least she got an a* straight away!

What does differentiation/sequences have to do with reversing the compound interest formula?

I am unsure. I think its something like how do you find the number of years for the money ?
Fair enough, but I don't understand why people would actively discourage preparation in the 'Study Help' part of the forum. The user's clearly expressed a desire, which is to be 'one step ahead', and he wants us to help find him a means to do so. By suggesting that the user simply stops their intention in order to 'enjoy their summer' seems a bit counter-intuitive.
The other posters feel that a bigger benefit to me in terms of studying A Levels would be to have break first and tackle them in September with a fresher mind. I disagree but it is a valid point to make in this thread.
Oh, no! At least she got an a* straight away!
But sitting G.C.S.E.s early may not be such a great thing...
I am unsure. I think its something like how do you find the number of years for the money?
Or find the interest being paid if she reaches X amount in Y years from Z pounds originally.
Ugh, this forum confuses me. I'm going back to Reddit for dank memes.
Original post by stzdznt
My sixth form gave us homework for summer !!!
Could someone advise me on my subject choices - I chose BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, MATHS and LAW and I hope to drop maths at AS but then I was thinking won't it be random if I have bio chem and law at A2 :/ I want to do law bc it seems doable and I think 4 facilitating subjects would be too much.
Also I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but something like working for the NHS.

law is a bit random . Go to search.uca.com and look for what subjects science jobs look for.
Original post by 04MR17
But sitting G.C.S.E.s early may not be such a great thing...

I believe it is as I have used mathswatch GCSE since I was here and I used to help people who are in set one on their homework and revision. The exam type questions before were similar as shown to mathswatch.
law is a bit random . Go to search.uca.com and look for what subjects science jobs look for.

I don't think that law will hinder your application to the NHS.

I took, ICT Business and Chemistry and applied for accounting and finance.

I dropped maths at AS. Chemistry is no way related to accounting and this did not hinder my application :smile:.
Original post by Yellow636
I don't think that law will hinder your application to the NHS.
I took, ICT Business and Chemistry and applied for accounting and finance.
I dropped maths at AS. Chemistry is no way related to accounting and this did not hinder my application :smile:.

Fun fact: more accountants come from a chemistry background than a maths background.
Original post by stzdznt
My sixth form gave us homework for summer! Could someone advise me on my subject choices - I chose BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, MATHS and LAW and I hope to drop maths at AS but then I was thinking won't it be random if I have bio chem and law at A2 :/ I want to do law because it seems doable and I think 4 facilitating subjects would be too much. Also I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but something like working for the NHS.
I like homework. If you want a medical career then sciences is the right option (especially biology), take that as one you need. Typically, they say go for one you like, one you're good at and one you need.
Original post by 04MR17
Typically, they say go for one you like, one you're good at and one you need.

That right there is the guide in choosing your A level options. !
Well compared to everyone with their AS grades I feel like a noob >_>

I dont know what board you're doing but I did AQA so here;s what I did.

I did my GCSE maths in year 8 and got an A, but here's my advice for AS maths ( I did core 1 in Jan 2013 and core 2 in June 2013 I think ?....)
Core 1: Learn differentiation (it's a major topic that comes up in Core 1 and Core 2, so you MUST learn this thoroughly) and learn what you can find by doing it e.g. tangents, normals, stationary points and the nature of those points.
You should also learn how to do integration (it's the opposite of differentiation but you can use it to find other things e.g in exams, you may be given an differentiated equation and it asks you to find the original equation, it should also tell you that the original equation goes through point (x,y).. and so what you do is you integrate the differentiated equation, put in the points and work out the value of c (you always add a +c when you integrate)
You could also work on things like indices, surds, basically the A* stuff at GCSE.

For Core 2, before you begin it you may want to: Look ahead in Logarithms, Radians, trig identities, differentiation, integration and sequences. These topics are pretty much the major ones.

I did AS pure maths (C1 C2 FP1) and got a B ( completely messed up on FP1 and got a C :frown: ) .. But I retook fp1 and should get a high B/ A which will give me a definite A as my core 2 UMS should carry my grade up :smile:, best of luck with your exams though!
(edited 8 years ago)
I wish I was like her. Someone told me I could've done GCSE maths earlier (as I know I have more chances then to resit again and I have the ability at an early age) but I guess the school did not allow me to do it as they do not believe in me... I could've done a level maths by then ... :colonhash:

Doing A level maths early isn't always a good thing. I did GCSE in year 9 and got an a* so did core 1 in Yr 10 and got 95%. But now school are making us retake the core 1 again in year 12 and move exam boards, because an a level done early won't be counted as part of an offer for medicine.
Original post by chumaniward
Doing A level maths early isn't always a good thing. I did GCSE in year 9 and got an a* so did core 1 in Yr 10 and got 95%. But now school are making us retake the core 1 again in year 12 and move exam boards, because an a level done early won't be counted as part of an offer for medicine.

Oh, I didn't realise that.
Oh, I didn't realise that.

Don't worry, i was quite annoyed about having wasted a year learning C1 for nothing, so phoned up most russel group universities and most subjects this isn't an issue for except for medicine applicants, and sadly our school only cares about getting people in for medicine so only makes changes in their favour. Last year 2 people missed their grades for cambridge offers but had maths taken early counted then they would have been accepted
Reply 59
Original post by 04MR17
What should I do over the summer break to be prepared for year 12 as level maths in September?

dont do this please, get a life instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending