KH165
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Despite working hard during my second year of my Law degree, I am left with an average of 51% (a low 2:2). This has left me both shocked and disappointed, as I messed up the timing on two of my exams, which had both cost me a low 2:2 in both exams, and I had also failed one exam, which I will be re-sitting in August. This year accounts for 40% of my overall grade and my third year accounts for 60%. I think I need an average of 66% next year to pass with a 2:1, is this possible, or should I give up/retake second year?
Hhhhhhhhhhhj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got 51% due two exams mess up due to.bereavement....
KH165
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I messed my exams up due to exam pressure and unfortunately the stress got the better of me! Did/do you study Law?
Sarurrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I'm not sure if you can retake a year just because you're not happy with the grades. I think you can only do it if you actually fail any modules!

I studied in Scotland with an average of a 2:2 for each year apart from my last and successfully graduated with a 2:1. My advice is to carry on. I was in the same position, working hard and felt I wasn't getting the grades I felt I deserved but knowing I couldn't resit or afford to mess up anything made me work harder in my final year. It is definitely doable, you just need to put in that extra (EXTRA) effort!
Michy2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KH165)
I messed my exams up due to exam pressure and unfortunately the stress got the better of me! Did/do you study Law?
Yeah (new account)
Michy2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I study law, but I need a 2.1, dont know how to as I got 51% this year
hc3149
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KH165)
I think I need an average of 66% next year to pass with a 2:1, is this possible, or should I give up/retake second year?
First of all, don't panic. Anything is definitely possible in third year. From experience, I attained a mid 2.2 in my first year, and learnt from the mistakes I made to a solid 2.1 in my second year. I'm very anxious about third year too, as some exams were not great, especially EU Law for some reason. Notwithstanding that, you need to have a solid work plan which you can commit to. I would prepare fully for all tutorials and seminars you have, make sure you do all the readings required (I know this can be annoying, but it's worth it in the end), and make sure you address exam technique. Having spoken to a lot of postgrad Law students, they said there is a trend that everyone improves throughout an undergrad Law degree. I've read a story of where someone scored 50% in second year, scored 76% in third year, and graduated with a 68 overall. Anything is achievable but make sure you have a solid work ethic in third year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?