The Student Room Group

Should I drop Chemistry for studying Physics at uni?

At AS I've done Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I plan to apply for Oxbridge and other top unis to study a Physics degree.
I'm wondering whether I can drop chemistry without it affecting my chance of getting into Oxbridge or another top uni. Although I'm reasonably sure I got an A at AS Chem, I'm not certain if I can at A2 level, and if I don't get an A in A2 chem it will destroy any chance of getting in to study physics.
If I only do maths, further maths and physics at A2 then I'm effectively studying 2 subjects, although the mathematics is more in-depth. I'm not sure if Oxbridge is ok with this?
Since my college does not give me a choice of maths modules, I may have to self-study a couple of modules and I would like to do an EPQ as well.
I'm not sure if I have the time/brain power to do these as well as A2 Chem.
Anyone got any advice? Thanks.
Reply 1
Drop it. It won't harm you, you only need three and you'll need to do well in those three.

My friend went to Oxford for Maths/CompSci with Maths, Further and Physics at A-level (with grade B Economics AS). They're perfectly happy with Further Maths as it's related to your course as there will be a high level of mathematics demanded from you for the degree. You'd be better spending time preparing for the PAT than a largely irrelevant, additional A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending