Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    It wouldn't work though that, (in time travel theory), as the future is the future as has already happened that way, so it would have to stay that way.

The arguments are you can just change the way it happens.

Well most of the arguments are: you can't travel in time (except forwards at the rate I am doing now).
    Surely time travel theory can never be fully developed unless someone travels through time to test it out...? So you can't make any significant arguments, even if you are trying to disprove a TV show that's probably wrong in oh so many ways.

ReputationRep:
    I like it whenever this shooting Hitler as a baby question comes up. You can always say in your nerdiest voice "Due to chaos theory your travelling back in time to be in the same room as Hitler when he was a baby would probably do enough to avert the Holocaust"

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't work though that, (in time travel theory), as the future is the future as has already happened that way, so it would have to stay that way.

The arguments are you can just change the way it happens.

Well most of the arguments are: you can't travel in time (except forwards at the rate I am doing now).
    I wasn't discussing time travel, whether it's possible or not, but if it was possible then would you kill *** in order to save the world
    Geez :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Would you kill one innocent person to rid the world of cancer?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask the innoncent person for their opinion and make the decision up to them? after all they are the one who is going to give up their life for the cause?

ohh that brings up another questions - would you let someone kill you if it would prevent a stranger suffering? or a family member?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniBarSmarties)
    Can i ask the innoncent person for their opinion and make the decision up to them? after all they are the one who is going to give up their life for the cause?

ohh that brings up another questions - would you let someone kill you if it would prevent a stranger suffering? or a family member?
    Given that most of the population can't be arsed to donate a fiver to charity, I'd be very surprised if anyone would give up their life for a stranger's health. For someone you love, that's another matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I wasn't discussing time travel, whether it's possible or not, but if it was possible then would you kill *** in order to save the world
    Geez :rolleyes:
    The other big thing to think about when discussing time travel is, if it is going to be invented, then we should be seeing some time travellers around, from the future.

I havent seen any yet.

Have you?

ReputationRep:
    That's easy - yes. Kill one to save millions. Shouldn't matter who it is.

Of course, if you take into account overpopulation, it's more difficult. We're living too long at the moment and the world population is steadily increasing.

ReputationRep:
    The other big thing to think about when discussing time travel is, if it is going to be invented, then we should be seeing some time travellers around, from the future.

I havent seen any yet.

Have you?
    Depends. I've heard that it would only be possible to travel forward in time if at all, not backward (although I can't remember the theory behind that).

ReputationRep:
    1 death is a tragedy anything else is a statistic....makes it easy...

ReputationRep:
    I think it was Einstein's theory about time travel that said, if anybody could, it would be forward. If you could break light speed (ignoring infinite mass and density), then you would essentially be travelling faster then time. Or so I recall at least. In K-Pax, somebody brings up this with faster than light travel.

"But, a man on our planet said that nothing could travel faster than light".

"You misunderstand, Einstein said nothing could accelerate past light, he didn't say anything about things already travelling at light speed".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessshauna)
    1 death is a tragedy anything else is a statistic....makes it easy...

1 death is a tragedy. 1000 deaths are a thousand tragedies.

You'd kill 1000 to save one life - by your reasoning all you're doing is preventing a tragedy and the 1000 deaths are just a statistic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)

Of course, if you take into account overpopulation, it's more difficult. We're living too long at the moment and the world population is steadily increasing.
    Well... the exponential growth (encountered during the last millenium) is now tailing off. It has also been estimated that the world has enough resources for 20 billion people.

ReputationRep:
    With regard to the person talking about killing Hitler as a baby - would that really stop WW2, or just delay it? All of the feeling would still be there.

ReputationRep:
    even if you killed off hitler, it is probable that another dictator would have arisen to fill his place

ReputationRep:
    what if some1 told u that u were the reason for 20 million deaths in the future. would you agree to die?

ReputationRep:
    Would you kill a child to save to old people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    With regard to the person talking about killing Hitler as a baby - would that really stop WW2, or just delay it? All of the feeling would still be there.
    I agree the World War would probably have happen but would millions of Jews have been persecuted?

ReputationRep:
    Would you kill a child to save to old people?
    No, but I might do it the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    It shouldn't, but it does. It would be hard if it were yourself or someone you love. Say you had to kill a grandparent to save milions. I couldn't do it.
    Or your mother or father or sibling. No matter how great the greater good I couldn't kill them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.