I want to study in Norway, but not sure if it's possible...? Watch

pignut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Problem is I'd need maintenance loans, is there any way I can get them being a citizen in the UK? Norway require you to have proof that you'd be getting a livable income, but don't fund you. Can I get it from my government by any chance? I've never been to Uni before. Also, how does it work?! I'd rather apply directly for Norway, than go to a Uni here.

Can anyone tell me how this all works and if it's even possible? Thanks
Welkom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as I know you can't get maintenance loans from the UK Government if you are studying a full course abroad. Erasmus would be your best option (I'm looking to do something similar but in Spain).
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What specifically do you want to study and where? Only non-EU citizens need to show they have enough money to support themselves, if you are British then you don't need to prove anything. You cannot get a maintenance loan from the UK or Norwegian government, nor from Erasmus. You will either need to get a job (which is basically impossible unless you speak Norwegian), or save up money before you go.
pignut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
What specifically do you want to study and where? Only non-EU citizens need to show they have enough money to support themselves, if you are British then you don't need to prove anything. You cannot get a maintenance loan from the UK or Norwegian government, nor from Erasmus. You will either need to get a job (which is basically impossible unless you speak Norwegian), or save up money before you go.
But surely if I go to University in the UK and go to Norway through Erasmus I'll be funded by the UK's student finance system? Is this not the case? Swear I heard it was.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pignut)
But surely if I go to University in the UK and go to Norway through Erasmus I'll be funded by the UK's student finance system? Is this not the case? Swear I heard it was.
When I said you can't get Erasmus funding I meant you can't use Erasmus to fund a whole degree in Norway. You can of course still do an Erasmus year abroad in Norway which you will get funding for. You haven't said what you want to study?
pignut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
When I said you can't get Erasmus funding I meant you can't use Erasmus to fund a whole degree in Norway. You can of course still do an Erasmus year abroad in Norway which you will get funding for. You haven't said what you want to study?
Oh yeah I knew that, Erasmus will have to do for me, if possible for my course choice :-) And it's because I'm still deciding really. I'm thinking Philosophy and Physics or Physics and Maths (combined hons) .
Annym96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello! I am norwegian; feel free to PM me if you need any help with "Samordna opptak" (the norwegian application system), or anything else! I am more than willing to help as much as possible
pignut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annym96)
Hello! I am norwegian; feel free to PM me if you need any help with "Samordna opptak" (the norwegian application system), or anything else! I am more than willing to help as much as possible
That's really nice of you, tusen takk :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed