97.83%
Flatmate B (1)
2.17%
AgNO3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my soon to be flatmates are driving me nuts. Its 3 bedrooms, mutually decided I'll get smallest room and pay a little less. The remaining two bedrooms, one room is significantly larger and the agreed price with the landlord is the same for each room.

Flatmate A sorted out property himself (found it, viewed it, put down deposit, securing whole property). Believes he should get preference because of this.

Flatmate B moved in today into bigger room. Using 'first come first served' card. (Flatmate B lives 45 mins away and has own car, Flatmate A is relying on sister's car so has to move on weekend, lives 2 hours away).

They keep asking me what should be done but its not my place to say.

Edit: this will be used to decide
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Flatmate A is the only one who paid the deposit/ put any effort into finding the house I feel he should probably get a bit of a better room. Speaking as someone who for two years now has been in charge of everything and responsible for finding houses, sorting out rent, talking with landlord etc it can be very stressful. The very least he should get is the room he wants.
EloiseStar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AgNO3)
So my soon to be flatmates are driving me nuts. Its 3 bedrooms, mutually decided I'll get smallest room and pay a little less. The remaining two bedrooms, one room is significantly larger and the agreed price with the landlord is the same for each room.
Flatmate A sorted out property himself (found it, viewed it, put down deposit, securing whole property). Believes he should get preference because of this.
Flatmate B moved in today into bigger room. Using 'first come first served' card. (Flatmate B lives 45 mins away and has own car, Flatmate A is relying on sister's car so has to move on weekend, lives 2 hours away).
Flatmate A. I live the second furthest away and I had the smallest room. Yes, it means you probably have more stuff if you live further away but it's not like B is getting the smallest room.
JoshDawg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Flatmate A since he did all the legwork.

B sounds like a douche / he's trying to hold onto his pride or manliness by keeping the larger room when they feel they are in the wrong.
Smonnie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Flatmate A - but did B know that A wanted that room / would be bothered?

The facts make B sound like a douche, but if he didn't realise it was such an issue, or didn't realise how much work A put in, it's not really his fault.
$100Bill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's pretty obvious. Flatmate A.

Of course, you could decide between yourselves that the person living in the bigger room has to pay a small sum for the other guy's rent to make it 'fair' for everyone.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Flatmate A
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is why I always insist rooms are put on contracts.

I'd be tempted to go with flatmate A.

Otherwise, attach conditions to taking the bigger room such as saying that person deals with the bins for the house.
AgNO3
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieSmall)
If Flatmate A is the only one who paid the deposit/ put any effort into finding the house I feel he should probably get a bit of a better room. Speaking as someone who for two years now has been in charge of everything and responsible for finding houses, sorting out rent, talking with landlord etc it can be very stressful. The very least he should get is the room he wants.
We all had to put a deposit down, but one deposit was needed to effectively reserve property so no-one else could take it. Flatmate B put down his a month after A.

(Original post by Smonnie)
Flatmate A - but did B know that A wanted that room / would be bothered?

The facts make B sound like a douche, but if he didn't realise it was such an issue, or didn't realise how much work A put in, it's not really his fault.
He did know. They've been arguing about it for the past two weeks.
AgNO3
Rep:
?
Thanks for your votes, looks like flatmate B is moving rooms.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Although in general I would say A, is one likely to spend a lot more time at the house? If one's planning to be there full time and another only term times I would suggest the person staying full time gets the bigger room as they will be using it more.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just out of interest, are you tenants in common or is it person A who signed the contract?

People recommend in common so that you are all equally responsible but if A signed then effectively it 's his/her house
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A.

This is why you should agree rooms before you turn up - first come first served is NOT OK unless you've all agreed to it in advance! I would have really kicked off if I'd arrived at the house I found, arranged to visit, set up internet for before I moved in, and found someone in MY room.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AgNO3)

That arangement sounds completely fair to me
Gusta6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys flatmate A here. The ******** still hasnt moved his stuff. What do i do?
Grant2007
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Toss a coin

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?