The Student Room Group

Is it possible to switch from a Geology to a Geophysics degree?

So that's my question. I want there to be a large mathematical element to my degree and the subject of Geology intrigues me. My question particularly conserns top 10 universities. Any responces will be appreciated.
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
So that's my question. I want there to be a large mathematical element to my degree and the subject of Geology intrigues me. My question particularly conserns top 10 universities. Any responces will be appreciated.

Most of the higher ranking courses for Geophysics will require Physics as an A2 (which you indicated in another thread that you don't have). However, it's possible that they might make a concession if you already have an offer, although I wouldn't get your hopes up because I wouldn't have thought that it'd be particularly likely. Send the admissions department an email anyway.

You definitely need physics, so I doubt it.
Reply 3

Geology at many of the top universities will have a fair amount of mathematical content anyway. For a geophysics degree you would need A2 Physics, so you're unlikely to get in. However, in some cases you may be able to get onto a dual honours Geology & Geophysics.

E.g. at Imperial College they say
"Candidates for the Geology and Geophysics degree are recommended to have at least an AS-level in Physics.

Geophysics applicants must achieve a minimum of AAA overall, to include:

A in Mathematics
A in Physics
Geophysics candidates who do not meet this requirement will be offered Geology and Geophysics instead."

Which suggests they may be lenient if you have A level Mathematics, but not Physics. They say "recommended" rather than "essential".

When I studied there people switched between the different courses in years 1 and 2 as there was a lot of overlap. There was a lot of flexibility. Some people were able to take more of the Geophysics modules without A level Physics, provided their grades were good in the maths/physics modules in the 1st year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending