cilla_e
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,im in year 12 and i went for work experience at a hospital initially for medicine but i had the chance to see an oral and maxillofacial surgery which i really enjoyed. I think that i am definitely more interested in dentistry and after MUCH research, i will be applying for a course in dentistry not medicine this September. I need help though as soon as possible. has anybody ever done this before???if so please inform me of how it worked out for you. is it worth changing my mind this point in time? Any pointers on how i could write my personal statement(as i now have to change the one that i had for medicine)? Any other tips and information would be massively appreciated!Many thanks!
Lanfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you've just done your AS exams?
Time is pretty tight but I think the most urgent thing for you -right now- is work experience. Hopefully you're already doing extracurricular stuff you can write about in the statement seeing as you were previously going for medicine.
You need to:
get 2 weeks work experience in general dental practice over the summer, which is the minimum required at some unis. Some unis don't give a minimum time though, like King's in the year I applied. Work exp in hospitals etc. is bonus.
arrange a UKCAT test, but have you done this already to apply to medicine?
This is my website for dentistry applicants -
http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.co.uk/p/home.html - hopefully you'll find something that'll help you. It covers everything you need to do. Here's the page on statements -
http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.com...statement.html
You could probably start with your dentistry origin story, being your recent epiphany conversion from medicine to dentistry, haha xD
If you have space, maybe you could also write about why you think dentistry is better for you than medicine. (Comparisons:
http://dentallyinclined.blogspot.com...fferences.html)
But other stuff like writing about how your extracurricular stuff shows how dedicated and caring and teamworky you are will be pretty much the same, I reckon.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically as above, but you'll need to put down evidence for manual dexterity as well for your personal statement. This includes craft sets, playing the piano, cake decorating, etc. I'd advise you not to lie on this bit, especially in a traditional interview they might ask you about your hobby in a bit of detail!

The ethical reasons of why you want to do dentistry will be the same for medicine, so there isn't a huge amount of work for you to do. You can definitely have an application ready for september
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.51%
No one else does (81)
31.52%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.89%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (87)
33.85%
We don't use a video platform (4)
1.56%
I don't have a camera (6)
2.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.33%

Watched Threads