Turn on thread page Beta

Food costs in Britain watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much should I expect to use on food per week? I'll be studying at Warwick, outside Coventry and live in a non-catered flat.

I'm just wondering how much to budget for... Anyone know a resonable estimate?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how plush you live! I usually spend about £15-20 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    what? i spend about 50

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on what kind of shops are their, if you have cheap discount shops near by you can get very very cheap food indeed:

A can of dope is typicaly 50p in this country but you can buy it for as little as 20p in the right shops.

500g of pasta can range between 30p-£1.20 depending on the shop.

ReputationRep:
    but i do buy lots of sweets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It just depends on what kind of shops are their, if you have cheap discount shops near by you can get very very cheap food indeed:

A can of dope is typicaly 50p in this country but you can buy it for as little as 20p in the right shops.

500g of pasta can range between 30p-£1.20 depending on the shop.
    dope! :confused: they sell tins of dope - what shops do you go in?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

dope! :confused: they sell tins of dope - what shops do you go in?!
    lmfao I was thinking about my trip to Amsterdam last year, it was a fuardian (sp) slip. I did mean coke

ReputationRep:
    lmfao I was thinking about my trip to Amsterdam last year, it was a fuardian (sp) slip. I did mean coke
    Freudian. (Your "trip" hehe... I'm going back and will be there in three weeks... woooooooo!)

ReputationRep:
    Its nearly a year since I was in Amsterdam, the only night of my life where I got stupidly drunk and then topped it all off with a bit of dope. Its no wonder I felt extremely ill next day! I was still in the bars the next evening though.

Mummy will cry if she knows I had 'dope'. PS Linda sorry for hijacking your thread.

ReputationRep:
    I shop at Asda and probably spend about forty quid a week on food. But that's me being quite frivolous in buying biscuits and crisps and Haribo. mmmmm Haribo.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Try Tescos late at night (like 12ish).. they mark down all their donuts :cool:!

Oh.. and other food too, but the donuts are the most important...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    :eek: that pays for a starter!!!! I bet your boyfriend rubbed his hands when he got with you

Blissy's bf: 'looks like I'm gunna need some more cigars boys'

To answer you question, it is cheaper than Norway so if you live healthily about £50-60 a week on food per person should be the limit for a student I'd guess.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester's thriving drug trade still going strong eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Manchester's thriving drug trade still going strong eh?
    Yep and the area around Lloreto College in Moss Side is still pretty much the centre of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    :eek: that pays for a starter!!!! I bet your boyfriend rubbed his hands when he got with you

Blissy's bf: 'looks like I'm gunna need some more cigars boys'
    I'm a woman, don't you think this is part of my plan? He already calls his savings/inheritance "our money".

ReputationRep:
    Its no wonder I felt extremely ill next day!
    don't blame it on the pot! its not its fault. Only alcohol makes u feel ill the next day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    don't blame it on the pot! its not its fault. Only alcohol makes u feel ill the next day.
    But you're not supposed to mix dope with booze the two have a very strange effect. I remember being a bit blanked out on the night. It wasn't really a nice experience, if I go Amsterdam again I shall take advantage of the different laws but it won't be the dope

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.