The Student Room Group

Help! Major zoning out problem. Is this common?

Hi, I'm a uni student studying animation.

I have noticed that when I do anything such as read a set of instructions, or long text or sometimes even listen to someone explaining something, I immediately zone out. The zoning out is instantaneous.

No matter how much I try to focus, I literally zone out after the first 3 words of reading anything. There have been times where I have started at text for half an hour and not even had an idea about what it is. ( And I dunno maybe this is my imagination but this problems seems to be worse when I'm reading text on a computer screen than on paper)

Does anyone else have this issue?

It has made high school, especially subjects like physics, economics and math, absolutely horrible! I actually have a great interest in physics and economics but I cannot for the life of me focus on anything.

However when I do activities like Animation (which do require a lot of thinking, planning and focus) I tend to have no problems at all.

I guess its because its more practical. But I'm seriously concerned about this zoning out issue I have.

What could be the problem? Do I have ADHD or something? I have never gone for a diagnosis.

:ahhhhh:
I am in no way stupid. People tell me I'm pretty smart.
Reply 1
You should definitely get checked. Lack of concentration is indeed a symptom of ADHD
I'm not really sure. I had a zoning out problem but I was just a mess in general and had some stuff going in inside of my head. Right now I've improved and I can focus more, though I still zone out when I'm bored.

Your problem does seem pretty serious, get it checked out.
I also get this to some extent (nowhere near as bad as yours though). I'll be reading a text book for about 10 mins and think back to what I've actually read and I honestly won't be able to remember a thing!
Original post by Bloxorus
I also get this to some extent (nowhere near as bad as yours though). I'll be reading a text book for about 10 mins and think back to what I've actually read and I honestly won't be able to remember a thing!

Same :/
Sometimes I have to mentally recap a game or film when I'm playing/watching. When I'm given an objective in game, I sometimes forget what it was two minutes later
I've not got ADHD or Dyslexia but if it's something that I'm not interested in then I'll zone out.

I asked a lecture about this to see if it's something they've come across before but they suggested just reading a bit at a time.
Original post by Pizza Muncher
Hi, I'm a uni student studying animation.

I have noticed that when I do anything such as read a set of instructions, or long text or sometimes even listen to someone explaining something, I immediately zone out. The zoning out is instantaneous.

No matter how much I try to focus, I literally zone out after the first 3 words of reading anything. There have been times where I have started at text for half an hour and not even had an idea about what it is. ( And I dunno maybe this is my imagination but this problems seems to be worse when I'm reading text on a computer screen than on paper)

Does anyone else have this issue?

It has made high school, especially subjects like physics, economics and math, absolutely horrible! I actually have a great interest in physics and economics but I cannot for the life of me focus on anything.

However when I do activities like Animation (which do require a lot of thinking, planning and focus) I tend to have no problems at all.

I guess its because its more practical. But I'm seriously concerned about this zoning out issue I have.

What could be the problem? Do I have ADHD or something? I have never gone for a diagnosis.

:ahhhhh:
I am in no way stupid. People tell me I'm pretty smart.

is it just when you try to read or study that you re concentration is bad? or in any activity?
is your short term memory bad most of the time or just when studying?
I dont have adhd myself but have dyslexia and dyspraxia and generally i have to read something twice or just very slow to be able to understand something and wont always remember what i just read and my concentration isnt brilliant, however adhd is generally where you really struggle to concentrate for more than 5 mins on one task sometimes worse so it has to be extreme to be adhd, however dyslexia and other conditions can mean concentration problems at a lower level so possibly consider that.
Reply 7
I have a similar issue, although one day it is worse than another. Obviously, it is less severe in activities that do not require attention or diligence. In my case, the cause is unclear. It might well be a symptom of a medical condition of mine, which is more likely than that it is a stand-alone condition. If in your case your ability to focus varies a lot as well, you might want to give my approach a try.

If I have huge trouble focusing, I accept the fact that I can't work at that moment, and do not frustrate myself by forcing myself to keep trying. So, rather than forcing myself to keep reading the same paragraph for hours at a time, I just acknowledge the fact that I can't work, and go do something unrelated. Something that doesn't frustrate me.

Most of the time, I can allow myself to "give in" and not work, because at some point (usually in the next week, at least) there will be a time that I am able to focus. I seize those preciously times, by working through the night if I have to.

Of course, when I can't work, I try once in while if my focus has improved. Just for a couple of minutes. If it hasn't improved, I go back to my unrelated stuff. If it has, I am happy and start working!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest