The Student Room Group

Graduating with 2:2, do I qualify with extenuating circumstances?

edited
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sunflow
X

I think because it is essentially undiagnosed, you would struggle to prove a case. While dyslexia doesn't help, many universities provide assistance in various different forms (my university provides materials for dictation and writing as well as providing special study rooms) - was any of this offered to you?

Seeing professionals will stand you in good stead especially if your personal tutor is aware of you trying to help your situation. I too have suffered anxiety and letting my university know what was going on (in addition to other circumstances beyond my control) allowed me to have 'special circumstances' consideration.

I advise you speaking to your current personal tutor and they can provide advice, plus they will probably write you a recommendation in light of this.
I think it will depend on if the university offered you support or not, I m a diagnosed dyslexic and dyspraxic and it won't count as an ec for me in any work as I ve got all the support that supposedly levels the playing field.
No harm in speaking to the unis that you wish to apply to and she if they lol accept it as ecs or not
On a slightly unrelated note... Have you seriously thought about the masters course? If you struggled before what's to stop you struggling again? You can always do a job and refocus yourself in the future for a masters. I hope you find a solution that helps you and wish you good luck!
You need to ask your uni ASAP. Some places will accept retrospective proof. Just pursue it, don't overthink it.
Original post by sunflow
Thank you for your advice. Do you think eventually getting a diagnosis will help? I was only offered help for my final exams (exemption from spelling mistakes and 10% more time), but thats it, no help during the 3.5 years of uni or dissertation. The uni reviewed my case by comparing my coursework of year 2/3 (just for dyslexia), and said my grades weren't affected.
Okay I will get in touch with them. Thanks again.

Honestly being diagnosed now is a bit too late I think
Original post by sunflow
If I don't have ADD then I won't pursue a masters.

Huh?

Good luck however things turn out :-)
Original post by sunflow
I achieved ABBdd (law, biology, psychology, geography, enviro) and started a degree in psychology and criminology, in first and second year I got a decent 2:1 (many 1sts and 2:1s) easily with minimal effort, but with some help for anxiety. I decided I didn't enjoy the course and didn't feel prepared for a graduate job, so I left with a HND. Somehow I managed to transfer into second year biology at a different university. I struggled having missed the first year and the course being much much harder and more demanding.

I got a 2:2 for the second year, and struggled with focus and motivation in final year, resulting in a 2:2 again (2:1 dissertation). The reason being I couldn't bring myself to start/continue work, thus doing it all to the last minute or handing it in late. My coursework ranges from 30-85 with mostly 2:1s.

I realised I struggled more than most people I know with concentration and cracking on with work, and so I visited many professionals on campus, who all suggested I had ADD/ADHD-PI, I was referred by a GP to the local psychiatrist for evaluation which has a lengthly waiting list. In the mean time I was diagnosed with dyslexia, and unofficially diagnosed with ADD by the same assessor.

Would completing a Bsc honours in biology, only in 2 years (no overlap of courses), with no help for dyslexia and undiagnosed ADD be an extenuating circumstance?

I want to do an Msc and think I could do so much better with help but they all require 2:1+, only with some mentioning extenuating circumstances.

Degrees aren't A-levels, so there aren't really central rules on what would count as an extenuating circumstance.

In general, most universities would expect you to address extenuating circumstances with the uni you studied at, although you could approach individual universities and see how they would view your situation.

Ultimately, though, you chose to enter a course in the second year- so that point is largely irrelevant.

The potentially undiagnosed dyslexia and ADD could be relevant- but most universities do offer support for this and are generally pretty good at helping you get assessed and get support.

It would be down to each individual uni as to how they viewed your case, so you're best to approach them directly and explain your situation.
Reply 9
Thank you all for your advice and help, much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending