Can't get SFE funding, alternative funding? Watch

DutcEngl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a student who had studied for 2 years of a 3 year degree before, and now student finance has told me I cannot get the first years full funding of my new degree.

So how can I fund the first year of my degree (9k)?

Funding from parents is out of the question.

Also will I be given Maintenance loans or grants?

I was given very short notice of this, so I am confused now .

I have sent off my SFE application already and now not sure.

Thanks guys
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DutcEngl)
I am a student who had studied for 2 years of a 3 year degree before, and now student finance has told me I cannot get the first years full funding of my new degree.

Thanks guys
Unfortunately this means you won't get any funding, whether for tuition fees or maintenance, for that year.

I'm not aware of any alternative sources of funding, unless you can secure some sponsorship.
DutcEngl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
Unfortunately this means you won't get any funding, whether for tuition fees or maintenance, for that year.
I'm not aware of any alternative sources of funding, unless you can secure some sponsorship.

I have contacted sfe and they said the only way I would get funded is if I had CPR (compelling personal reasons) . I had suffered from stress and fatigue but this was not documented with a health professional . So now I am stranded ...
SuperWolfPaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have contacted sfe and they said the only way I would get funded is if I had CPR (compelling personal reasons) . I had suffered from stress and fatigue but this was not documented with a health professional . So now I am stranded ...
this really sucks, it was okish when the fees were 3k, at least there was some hope of saving up. Could you live with parents and save 9k over some years?
DutcEngl
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
this really sucks, it was okish when the fees were 3k, at least there was some hope of saving up. Could you live with parents and save 9k over some years?
Unfortunately that isn't an option
SuperWolfPaws
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately that isn't an option
could you study abroad? i've heard some fees in Europe are really cheap compared to our country.
SuperWolfPaws
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
maybe do part time at the OU, there fees are cheaper and i think they have a loan system as well
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks guys
You should be entitled to the non means tested maintenance loan of £3000 but nothing more. The only option is for you to work and save up for a bit.
DutcEngl
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
You should be entitled to the non means tested maintenance loan of £3000 but nothing more. The only option is for you to work and save up for a bit.
I have contacted sfe and they said the only way I would get funded is if I had CPR (compelling personal reasons) . I had suffered from stress and fatigue but this was not documented with a health professional . Should I tell sfe this and maybe they would understand
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have contacted sfe and they said the only way I would get funded is if I had CPR (compelling personal reasons) . I had suffered from stress and fatigue but this was not documented with a health professional . Should I tell sfe this and maybe they would understand
Unfortunately unless you have evidence SFE won't be able to take it into account as anyone could make excuses. If you told a tutor at your university then maybe that would count.
DutcEngl
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
Unfortunately unless you have evidence SFE won't be able to take it into account as anyone could make excuses. If you told a tutor at your university then maybe that would count.

I managed to get a letter from my GP, regarding my stress and medication I was taking. But I dont know how to get a signed letter on headed paper from
my university confirming why I left, since I just told them briefly "I felt the course was not for me/unexpected" and didn't explain to them my health issue. So I don't know how the GP letter can be the same as my university letter?

Will that reason be recorded on their system or can I just ask them now to write a letter saying that?

Thanks
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I managed to get a letter from my GP, regarding my stress and medication I was taking. But I dont know how to get a signed letter on headed paper from
my university confirming why I left, since I just told them briefly "I felt the course was not for me/unexpected" and didn't explain to them my health issue. So I don't know how the GP letter can be the same as my university letter?

Will that reason be recorded on their system or can I just ask them now to write a letter saying that?

Thanks
If you didn't tell your university the real reason why you were leaving, I'm afraid they won't be able to confirm this for you now.
applicationa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks guys
You will still be eligible for maintenance loan as that isn't affected by the previous study rule, but not maintenance grant or tuition fee loan.

Still try sending SFE the letter from your GP, and get a letter from your previous university to confirm when you left the course (i.e. that you didn't complete the year). If you explain in a covering note to SFE that you didn't tell your university the actual reasons that you were dropping out, they may be understanding.
Roxas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there, I am in the same situation as you, did 2 years and then dropped out. Now starting again from first year at a different uni

I worked full time for 2 years to save the 9k cause I knew that funding wasn't coming, you still get the 3k maintenance loan and depending on the university you may be eligible for the grant/bursary direct from them.

If you can't prove the compelling reasons you are going to have to save the money yourself. I had given up with uni but after working a dead end job for 18 months I really appreciate how much a degree will change my career plan, so I'm happy to spend my own money to restart

You will get funding on the latter years though so it will just be getting through the first one

Good luck!
DutcEngl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roxas)
Hi there, I am in the same situation as you, did 2 years and then dropped out. Now starting again from first year at a different uni

I worked full time for 2 years to save the 9k cause I knew that funding wasn't coming, you still get the 3k maintenance loan and depending on the university you may be eligible for the grant/bursary direct from them.

If you can't prove the compelling reasons you are going to have to save the money yourself. I had given up with uni but after working a dead end job for 18 months I really appreciate how much a degree will change my career plan, so I'm happy to spend my own money to restart

You will get funding on the latter years though so it will just be getting through the first one

Good luck!
Thanks for the response but like you said you saved up 18 months but I can't save up that long as I am starting before that time and don't know where to get the money . Do you know any organisations or companies which I can borrow from ?
Sesshomaru24U
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry, I don't you can get funding. I'm pretty sure you have to pay it yourself.

Btw, my question is related so I don't see the point in creating a thread for this. If I were to study a course like maths which had the possibility of extending to a masters. If I paid for 1st year myself and 2nd and 3rd were covered by student finance. What if I worked to pay for the masters year? Would I still be able to do it.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
Sorry, I don't you can get funding. I'm pretty sure you have to pay it yourself.

Btw, my question is related so I don't see the point in creating a thread for this. If I were to study a course like maths which had the possibility of extending to a masters. If I paid for 1st year myself and 2nd and 3rd were covered by student finance. What if I worked to pay for the masters year? Would I still be able to do it.
If it's an undergraduate Masters that you are allowed to progress into at the same uni having done well enough in the first three years, then you should be able to get funding for it, and assuming you haven't used up your 'allowance' you wouldn't have to pay for the first year. If it's a separate degree, ie one requiring an entirely separate application process as it is a post-graduate qualification, you won't.
crocmadchris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are private loans available for education now as a last resort - https://www.financemyfuture.co.uk/
Sesshomaru24U
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Minerva)
If it's an undergraduate Masters that you are allowed to progress into at the same uni having done well enough in the first three years, then you should be able to get funding for it, and assuming you haven't used up your 'allowance' you wouldn't have to pay for the first year. If it's a separate degree, ie one requiring an entirely separate application process as it is a post-graduate qualification, you won't.
That's the thing. I've used 2 years of funding. I'll be able to fund the 1st year myself but plan on work during the summer to fund the possible 4th. So would I still be able to progress on to the masters course.

Also do I also have to fund my maintenance loan?
applicationa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
That's the thing. I've used 2 years of funding. I'll be able to fund the 1st year myself but plan on work during the summer to fund the possible 4th. So would I still be able to progress on to the masters course.

Also do I also have to fund my maintenance loan?
Maintenance loan isn't affected by the previous study rule, so you would still get that for your first year of your undergraduate course.

SFE won't give you any funding for a separate Masters year. They will only fund undergraduate Masters that are integrated into the course - i.e. the university has to accept you onto a course that includes a Masters qualification from year one. This isn't because of the previous study rule, it's because they simply don't fund PG qualifications at all. So you will need to fund the entirety of this Masters year from another source, including tuition fees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (148)
53.82%
18-20 years old (no) (34)
12.36%
20-25 years old (yes) (42)
15.27%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.45%
25-30 years old (yes) (19)
6.91%