The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am in a similar situation. I did a year and a half of a Bsc degree but I had to drop out. I am now looking at a 2 year HND course, would I have problems with finance for that, does anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mdevil3
I am in a similar situation. I did a year and a half of a Bsc degree but I had to drop out. I am now looking at a 2 year HND course, would I have problems with finance for that, does anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have compelling personal reasons for dropping out in the second year, then you can get that year back and still get full funding for the HND. Otherwise, you will only get maintenance loan for your first year.
Reply 22
I don't understand though, why, if you can get 4 years of funding and I have used 2, can't I get funding for both years of another course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mdevil3
I don't understand though, why, if you can get 4 years of funding and I have used 2, can't I get funding for both years of another course

Posted from TSR Mobile
AFAIK you should be able to - but the best people to ask are SFE because people's circumstances are different. Depending on the reasons why you had to drop out of the first uni, and what evidence you can provide for those, you may be able to get funding for a full three years. As I say, best to check directly with them.
Original post by mdevil3

Posted from TSR Mobile

The previous study rule is:
Length of current course + one additional year years of previous study (discounting any years for which you have compelling personal reasons)

You can get 4 years of funding - in the sense that you'd then be eligible for funding if you decided to 'top up' your HND to a Bachelors. But if you fall short under the previous study rule, the finance is taken from the first year of the course you're doing, and there's no way around that unless you have CPR for the year you dropped out previously.
Original post by DutcEngl
I am a student who had studied for 2 years of a 3 year degree before, and now student finance has told me I cannot get the first years full funding of my new degree.

So how can I fund the first year of my degree (9k)?

Funding from parents is out of the question.

Also will I be given Maintenance loans or grants?

I was given very short notice of this, so I am confused now .

I have sent off my SFE application already and now not sure.

Thanks guys

You might be about to find your university representative at the national association of student money advisers (if you can't find your university, try under U, as many are listed beginning with "university of"). They should be able to give you advice about possible sources of funding, including any that might be specific to your uni.

As crocmadchris says, if you can't find funding from anywhere else, you can apply with us. Happy to answer any questions you have if you are interested.
Reply 26
Yes, I understand now thanks. I spoke to SFE and they said if I write a letter and get a letter off my uni I might be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hello, I am so glad to have found this thread! I am in the exact same situation. I completed a Foundation Year in 2013/2014 and withdrew from the course shortly after the first term of year 1 early 2015 due to severe depression/failing health. I have an offer to start a new 3 year course at a different uni this September and found out 2 weeks ago that SFE is not going to fund this year's tuition fee, only the Maintenance loan since I only have 2 years of funding left. I was told that if my doctor can provide a letter explaining what my health problems are and how they affected my studies, they will be able to offer an additional year of funding. Still waiting on the doctor's letter at this point. I see this thread is almost a month old so how did it go for you guys?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Sorry to bring an old thread back but this is quite relevant to my current situation, I too was at uni for a year and a bit before so I believe I would have used 2 years of student finance and am looking to go back now that I'm older.

I should have 2 years of student finance left, does anybody know what counts as compelling personal reasons? I previously dropped out mainly due to a personal decision and partly due to finances, at the time I had a meeting with somebody from the university and told them it was completely related to financial issues that I was struggling to attend and then I dropped out. Would they have kept a record of this and would this count towards compelling personal reasons?
I qualified as a nurse 15 years ago but due to health reasons I had to give up, that was in 2010. I applied for a foundation degree at my local college but SLE won't fund me as my nursing diploma is the same level qualification as the foundation degree, so I can't get either the tuition fee loan or the maintenance loan. I'm in my mid 50's so alternative funding is a no no for me, so much for wanting to use skills I have in a different capacity !
Original post by Markie1237
I qualified as a nurse 15 years ago but due to health reasons I had to give up, that was in 2010. I applied for a foundation degree at my local college but SLE won't fund me as my nursing diploma is the same level qualification as the foundation degree, so I can't get either the tuition fee loan or the maintenance loan. I'm in my mid 50's so alternative funding is a no no for me, so much for wanting to use skills I have in a different capacity !

Are there any full degrees available in the same subject? That would be considered a higher qualification so you’d get funding.
There are but it would mean uprooting and as I’m in my 50’s I don’t really want to be doing that, plus the college was local and within walking distance. I applied to study Social Policy and they do have a top up after the foundation degree but I’m not sure how a nursing diploma would fit in APEL wise.
Do not use Future finance private company I heard horror stories . They charge since you begging studying . They accept the contract and some days later give you to sign another contract to get a guarantor and will be filed as a hard search on credit score . They charge 100% of interest and when you apply for next year they tell you to create a different account with another email and they make to pay all loans together. Avoid it .
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending