Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, it turns out that the person did actually hack my computer as there are 35 infected files according to a scan thing I did.
    How do I get rid of these, and how do I stop him seeing my IP address, which he can because he just told me that my address is the same as my old one because the IP is the same.
    Also how the hell did he get past my firewall?
    :confused: :mad:
    This is really freaking me out, advise would be appriciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    OK, it turns out that the person did actually hack my computer as there are 35 infected files according to a scan thing I did.
    How do I get rid of these, and how do I stop him seeing my IP address, which he can because he just told me that my address is the same as my old one because the IP is the same.
    Norton Internet Security 2004.

Comes with an anti-virus to remove all infected files, and it has a firewall too, to stop all intruders.

ReputationRep:
    He will always see your IP address as thats how the internet works, if MSN didn't know your IP address it wouldn't work. All you can do is increase the security settings on your firewall, the virus checker should offer to delete the infected files.

It sounds like you have some open ports that need closing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    He will always see your IP address as thats how the internet works, if MSN didn't know your IP address it wouldn't work. All you can do is increase the security settings on your firewall, the virus checker should offer to delete the infected files.

How do I do that?
    Also what is a cookie? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    firstly, get an anti-virus program, like norton or AVG and make sure all the virus definitions are up to date, this should deal with the virus problem.
    If you get yourself a good firewall, either software or hardware, you can block his attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    How do I do that?
    A cookie is just a file that stores information about you to a specific website, i.e you will have one for UKL that contains your username and password so you don't keeping having to log in,

They are encypted and very secure you nobody can do anything with them. If you load the firewall program up you should see some security settings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    How do I do that?
    1.A small, usually flat and crisp cake made from sweetened dough.
    2.Slang. A person, usually of a specified kind: a lawyer who was a tough cookie.
    3.Computer Science. A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web, used chiefly by websites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    1.A small, usually flat and crisp cake made from sweetened dough.
    2.Slang. A person, usually of a specified kind: a lawyer who was a tough cookie.
    3.Computer Science. A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web, used chiefly by websites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.
    I'm sure that all of those definitions will be incredibly useful in this case :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

actually MSN DOESNT know your IP, unless you start file sharing/webcam, at which point you go P2P.

cookies are not always encrypted, but sometimes they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    actually MSN DOESNT know your IP, unless you start file sharing/webcam, at which point you go P2P.

I thought the whole of MSN worked of P2P why would it need a central server between two conversations? Whats the point? I know all the cookies generated by PHP/ASP are encypted.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, thats true, I heard it as well.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the whole of MSN worked of P2P why would it need a central server between two conversations? Whats the point? I know all the cookies generated by PHP/ASP are encypted.
    nope, next time youre on msn with someone, netstat-a, youll see an msn address.
    then ask them to send a file, netstat-a again and youll get their ip.

ReputationRep:
    Yet again Mr AT throws us another red herring.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kikzen]nope, next time youre on msn with someone, netstat-a, youll see an msn address.
    then ask them to send a file, netstat-a again and youll get their ip.[/QUOTE

Ok I believe you but why would MSN do this? Is it some kind of security feature? Or is it because all the chag logs are monitored on some central server?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=amazingtrade]

Ok I believe you but why would MSN do this? Is it some kind of security feature? Or is it because all the chag logs are monitored on some central server?
    I think its the way the program works by changing from their server to the other computer using the same port... very clever tho I'm gonna have fun with that hahaha

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=amazingtrade]

i dont know to be honest. maybe security, but i dont think nosiness. i dont like how theyve done the protocol though. it says everything you do. if you have ethereal, do a bit of port listening. even opening an msn window sends a message to the server. very dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thanks people, I think it is getting sorted out now.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know to be honest. maybe security, but i dont think nosiness. i dont like how theyve done the protocol though. it says everything you do. if you have ethereal, do a bit of port listening. even opening an msn window sends a message to the server. very dodgy.
    Yep it makes you wonder if any of it is ever read by a human at random. I can't use port scanning on my PC as my ISP have specificaly said its against their terms and conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Yep it makes you wonder if any of it is ever read by a human at random. I can't use port scanning on my PC as my ISP have specificaly said its against their terms and conditions.
    yeah and so is downloading mp3s :rolleyes: they dont generally tend to care; im not harming anything so its all good!

ReputationRep:
    Downloading MP3s is different as ISPs don't care about that, port scanning however is a direct concern of ISPs.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.